Sponsored by:

Buy a used 06 Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:03 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a used 06 Cayenne?

Looking into buying a used 06 cayenne turbo, any other than the issues of the plastic coolant hoses and the cayenne propshaft bearing replacement, do you see any other big gotcha's before pulling the trigger?

I will work on the car myself as I do on our 944, and 951. I've been reading threads on cayenne's/toureg/q7 and looking to add another porsche in the stable for winter 4x4 driving and towing.

The car needs the driveshaft bearing replaced which I can replace for $400 with a vertexauto replacement and 45min of my time.

Thanks

Last edited by fiily; 01-25-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:53 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Not a big gottcha, but the coolant T's will need replacing with metal ones. If the coolant pipes have not been done, then do the T's at the same time.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lower control arms, upper control arms, alignment, tires, brakes, trans valve body, trans input shaft seal, brake booster hoses, plugs, coils, valve cover gaskets, accessory belt, air filters, a handful of charge pipe o-rings, cracked y-pipe, diverter valves, water pump, coolant reservoir, coolant T's, battery, starter, headlight bulbs, head light harnesses, headlight ballasts, transfer case stepper motor, engine mounts, various HVAC servo motors (and there are many), gauge cluster speaker, both fuel pumps, fuel filter, aaaaaand maybe a turn signal bulb. Purchased online - this is $10K just in parts.

These are all common failures before 130k miles. Nobody will know when, where, or what the correlation is between the failure and mileage. So, find a clean CTT with a good history. If they have records, it's the color/options you want, and it visually looks like it was well taken care of, then buy it. Regardless of what you buy or how much you pay, you should be ready to spend 2-7K in the first year getting the car sorted out, scheduled maintenance done, and maybe a few preventative things.

Last edited by wrinkledpants; 01-25-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Lower control arms, upper control arms, alignment, tires, brakes, trans valve body, trans input shaft seal, brake booster hoses, plugs, coils, valve cover gaskets, accessory belt, air filters, a handful of charge pipe o-rings, cracked y-pipe, diverter valves, water pump, coolant reservoir, coolant T's, battery, starter, headlight bulbs, head light harnesses, headlight ballasts, transfer case stepper motor, engine mounts, various HVAC servo motors (and there are many), gauge cluster speaker, both fuel pumps, fuel filter, aaaaaand maybe a turn signal bulb. Purchased online - this is $10K just in parts.

These are all common failures before 130k miles. Nobody will know when, where, or what the correlation is between the failure and mileage. So, find a clean CTT with a good history. If they have records, it's the color/options you want, and it visually looks like it was well taken care of, then buy it. Regardless of what you buy or how much you pay, you should be ready to spend 2-7K in the first year getting the car sorted out, scheduled maintenance done, and maybe a few preventative things.
So what your trying to say is normal porsche maintenance and preventative maintenance, no sweat. Been there done that with the other 2 cars. I'm used to being under and above the car more than my wife for the 1st few weeks of ownership while getting the vehicle up to snuff.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Not a big gottcha, but the coolant T's will need replacing with metal ones. If the coolant pipes have not been done, then do the T's at the same time.
I'll do the driveshaft bearing, all the belts, oil change, flush the brake lines and coolant, change the air/fuel filters, check the valve covers for leakage and replace them while in there doing the coolant pipes too.

A weekend undisturbed and I should have it sorted.

Thanks gents
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
We really ought to sort this list and petition to sticky it, or amend the dated high-level sticky on choosing a Cayenne.

Not to scare people away, but inform them there is a good reason this $100,000+ vehicle can now be had for peanuts.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try buying a similar vintage Mercedes or bmw and that list will be very similar.

My ML needed control arms (and new struts), fuel pumps, belts, plugs, ac actuator, crankshaft position sensor, brakes, wheel speed sensors, brake booster, yaw sensor... **** happens on an older car. It's still waaaaaay cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Try buying a similar vintage Mercedes or bmw and that list will be very similar.

My ML needed control arms (and new struts), fuel pumps, belts, plugs, ac actuator, crankshaft position sensor, brakes, wheel speed sensors, brake booster, yaw sensor... **** happens on an older car. It's still waaaaaay cheaper than buying a new one.
Completely agree. Just seems like this info is being shared nearly weekly and the 'considering buying a 955?' Sticky doesn't really answer peoples' questions.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally. This stuff should be made into a sticky. The 955 CTT is such a good buy right now as long as people are prepared for the refurb. Speaking of good buys I'm crushing hard on the turbo v12 CL600's now that they are $10-20k.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
We really ought to sort this list and petition to sticky it, or amend the dated high-level sticky on choosing a Cayenne.

Not to scare people away, but inform them there is a good reason this $100,000+ vehicle can now be had for peanuts.
Sad isn't it? $100k car now can be bought for 8-18% of its original price. It happens to all luxury cars, I used to sell Jag's, and my best friend sold lexus's.

We have both been in the car business for years, new,used, and salvage. All the way around it's funny how people can drop $100k+ on a luxury car, and then when they can be bought for peanuts years later, people forget that they still are luxury cars, and moan about the cost to maintain them.

"No such thing as a cheap" fill in the blank from the list : porsche/mb/bmw/lexus/audi/bentley/ferrari/lamborghini/etc
Old 01-25-2016, 11:27 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fiily
Sad isn't it? $100k car now can be bought for 8-18% of its original price. It happens to all luxury cars ... "No such thing as a cheap" fill in the blank from the list : porsche/mb/bmw/lexus/audi/bentley/ferrari/lamborghini/etc
If only the 996/997 turbos would fall this far. Seems like they bottom out in the 30's.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:24 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I'll do the driveshaft bearing, all the belts, oil change, flush the brake lines and coolant, change the air/fuel filters, check the valve covers for leakage and replace them while in there doing the coolant pipes too.

Thanks gents
It's not the effort I meant to scare you with, it's the costs. I wasn't just making an off the cuff guess at the 10K number, that's literally what those parts cost. And, I'm fairly certain you'll do at least 90% of those parts by the 130K mark, if not sooner. These cars are old enough now that they'll need replacing soon from either age or mileage.

A cardan shaft = $400
Belt = $184, or $600 if you do the rollers, etc
Oil Change = $110
Brake Fluid = $20 for the first flush
Coolant = $70 for a full flush
Air Filters = $40
Fuel Filter = $140
Valve Cover kit = 150
Cooling pipe kit = $1000, or $580 for an aftermarket kit

I'd call that baselining the car. These are prices for genuine Porsche parts from ECS. So, figure about $2100 just to baseline this car, $2500 to do it with all the rollers for the belt. And, I'd call this a "lite" list.

We obviously all love the Cayenne, or we wouldn't be driving one. I still consider the car to be reliable in that I'm never worried it's going to randomly leave me stranded. At the same time, it requires a lot of effort to keep it in top shape, and it requires you to be a rather informed buyer if you don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money at the dealer. If you want a good ownership experience, be ready to shell out for it. If you think this is a car that you an slap some oil in and check the air pressures - you're going to get a rude awakening.

I'm only saying this because your list of "issues" makes up only a fraction of what the total costs are. I'm not exaggerating when I said 2-7K in your first year. If you're fine shelling out for the car, insurance, and parts as needed - you'll love it.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:46 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Thanks gents
Maybe for a 951, but there is no way you're doing all that in one weekend on a CTT. You're looking at 2-3 hours just to change the oil and do the accessory belt.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 AM
KarlJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Totally. This stuff should be made into a sticky. The 955 CTT is such a good buy right now as long as people are prepared for the refurb. Speaking of good buys I'm crushing hard on the turbo v12 CL600's now that they are $10-20k.
I had a Speedriven tuned 2003 CL600 V12TT for some time amazing car for the money.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:17 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Not to mention evap purge valve and fuel filter flange/pump....

Quick Reply: Buy a used 06 Cayenne?