mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree unless your referring to the ceramic Hawks
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Lance LaCour
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can upper bolt be torqued without removing line?

Great picture, but I've got a question: Can that upper bolt be torqued without removing the brake line from the caliper? I looks like a socket will not go on the bolt without removing the line. Getting ready to do my Cayenne brake job. Thanks. Lance

Originally Posted by seankrider
(6) The two massive bolts holding the calipers. At something like 200 foot-lbs torque, this was a real challenge to loosen... so I positioned a long breaker-bar/socket arm at a roughly 7:00 position on the bolt and used the floor jack to apply all the force I needed:
Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance LaCour
Great picture, but I've got a question: Can that upper bolt be torqued without removing the brake line from the caliper? I looks like a socket will not go on the bolt without removing the line. Getting ready to do my Cayenne brake job. Thanks. Lance
Yes, there is enough room to remove the upper bolt without removing the brake line.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Lance LaCour
3rd Gear

Default Success!

OK, was very apprehensive about doing a brake job on my 2008 Cayenne, but this discussion pulled me through.
I've got about 33,000 city miles, and the light came on about 2 weeks ago. The front rotors had visible wear, but the rears still looked pretty good.
I bought everything, read up as much as possible here and in the service manual and got an early start today.
From start to finish, 6 1/2 hours working on the ground in my garage with one floor jack and two jack stands.
Installed new drilled/slotted rotors all around.
Only problem was trying to torque the rear rotor bolts. My 1/2"-drive torque wrench was too long to get into position while working on the ground. So had to be satisfied with getting them to 85 ft-lbs with a shorter, 3/8" drive torque wrench, and then pulling on them hard with a breaker-bar. I can live with that.
Thanks for the help everybody.
Lance LaCour
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Did a front pads and rotors today on my '06 CTT. The retaining pins were really stuck in there, so I had use a drift and sledgehammer to get them out :0 Otherwise uneventful with a small exception to the instructions here. I have air suspension, and I found it easier to remove the hard line from the caliper and plug the line and caliper instead of trying unbolt the line brackets from the wheel carrier and hang the caliper (in fact I am not sure that is even possible). It was easy to enough to reconnect and bleed the front calipers with my pressure bleeder, and I was planning on refreshing the fluid anyway.

Used the Hawk HPS and Centric Plain 120 rotors from Tire Rack. I got pads for the rear as well but they are not ready for replacement yet. Stopping effort seems the same as stock and for $83 each I am quite happy with the rotors.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. One question. When you jack the front up did you have to turn the air suspension off?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by bansasn
Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. One question. When you jack the front up did you have to turn the air suspension off?
I did not. Just had it set on the mid height and jacked away. The car will try and extend the wheel to keep it in contact with the ground, but the floor jack wins this round
Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 AM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome...thanks for the info. I Will be replacing my brake pad soon. Oh yes...Do you know the minimum thickness for the rotories befor replacing it?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you who have successfully DIYed the rear rotors... how did you get the caliper bolts off? I've got the correct triple-square, but apparently not enough force x lever arm.

Considered handing the parts to a local brake shop and letting them do it in 15 minutes, but that kind of felt like quitting...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
JW3
Racer

Those of you who have successfully DIYed the rear rotors... how did you get the caliper bolts off? I've got the correct triple-square, but apparently not enough force x lever arm.

Considered handing the parts to a local brake shop and letting them do it in 15 minutes, but that kind of felt like quitting...
Or use a proper impact tool to remove the bolts. Also, anytime you jackup or raise the wheels off the ground disengage the air suspension on your Cayenne - it's a matter of safety (and it's very easy). As for the rear caliper bolts, if you raise the rear end enough you can get to the caliper bolts very easy through the spaces in the suspension (just like the shop does). If you cannot raise the whole rear end, you have to use good tools that are sort of slim.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW3
Or use a proper impact tool to remove the bolts.
I was secretly hoping several would say this... need to self-justify the purchase.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

What JW3 said....... Makes a world of difference with an impact. Mine came right off with no issues.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

What sort of impact will fit there?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The fronts come off easily by using a breaker bar (I use an old steel pipe). Easy access with the wheels turned.

The rears are a different story. Definitely soak them with DW-40 (overnight if you can). It can be done with a breaker bar and hefty 1/2" socket (put a towel around the bar so you don't scratch paint of course). Before the WD-40 I snapped a socket in half and they didn't budge.

An impact wrench is a sexy alternative, that I unfortunately didn't have.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM
USAF CRO
Intermediate

Ok gents, we've got 2x957TTs that need pads.
Rotors: Small lips on rear rotor of one, and lip on front rotors of the other.
Looking for ideas on rotors, pads and sensors.
e-Bay has several sets for sale, to include a complete kit w/sensors for $415
We don't race the trucks so what is the most economical solution for 350mm versions?

Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads