Notices

Replacing the alarm module

Old 04-08-2018, 01:17 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts
Question Replacing the alarm module

Mine went bad. When I lock it, the hazard lights get activated non-stop until I unlock the CTT. LED front and rear lights are bright enough for neighbors to complain at night.

Part #: 1K8951605B

1) It is not under the fuse box in the engine compartment. I already did the hard work following a 2003 Cayenne Turbo service manual I have from my old 06CTT. Wasted time.
2) I obtained a service manual for the 958 Cayenne (10,000 pages in .pdf), and it mentions it is is under the windshield wiper motor, but I went on the hard labor without validating that the service manual specifies All Cayenne except: Turbo, GTS, Turbo S, and a few others. The illustration shows a small alarm siren which seems to be what Porsche installed in the base Cayenne (the one with the VW Golf VR6 engine).

My parts manual list my CTT part as 1K8951605A, but the part was superceded by 1K8951605B. I'm trying to locate it to disconnect it, while I buy a spare part. There is not a single fuse for the alarm siren, or I would have taken that path.

Thanks a lot

Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

...I have spent long hours disassembling and re-assembling my 2011 Cayenne Turbo looking for where is this part, and I can't find it.

As soon as I lock it with the Remote, the hazard lights go ON.

Any links to a 958 Turbo workshop manual? This is a $1,200 repair at a indi shop, and likely more at a Porsche dealer, for a simply faulty italian part sitting in my German SUV. Apparently, this is the Takata of alarm systems, as Skoda, Toyota and many other brands use this Cayenne alarm module.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

From the manuals - it appears to be under the cowl panel that the wipers come through below the windshield. Haven't had that panel off - but there is lots of stuff under it like fuse-box, brake master/booster, wiper stuff.. doesn't look awful to remove - wipers have to come off and the rubber gasket between it and the engine compartment (which I replaced today since I tore a hole in my old one accidentally. The part was super cheap for a Porsche part - about $14 - 10-minute job took over 2 hours and involved laying on top of the engine. I'm not as young as I used to be - and some things just are a PITA..)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:41 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Update:

For the 958 Cayenne (2011-2018), the alarm siren is located below the front windshield wiper motor. Humidity and heat are the main factors to cause this Cobra alarm module to fail. In my Cayenne, it will cause the hazard lights to go on when locking the SUV. The chirp sound from the alarm when locking was missing due to the faulty part, so I could not locate the module.

It was easier to remove the mounting bracket for this alarm module (two 10mm nuts), then unbolt the module from the bracket (13mm nut), than trying to do the 13mm nut only.

To remove the wiper arms, I used an extracting tool sold by any auto parts store.

To remove the plastic cover that goes below the windshield is a little tricky. Pull up (straight up) from one corner with enough force, it will pop out, and it will be very easy to remove once it pops out from the rail.

The whole work should take around 2 hours knowing what to do and having the right tools. The wiper arms have a 16mm nut (you need to remove three of these). The wiper motor and moving mechanism use the same star key on 7 bolts.

The following users liked this post:
CS958 (09-10-2022)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Probably also a wonderful time to clean out the drains at the bottom of that cavity..

Also did some Googling - found the B variant has been replaced now by a C variant, and in the VW world - which uses the identical module - they're up to F.. The other odd thing - the Porsche MSRP for it is $3 cheaper than VW's. And a few discount Porsche dealers have it for about 20% off that price. Roughly $160.
The following 3 users liked this post by deilenberger:
Chetured (02-02-2022), jayi836 (02-02-2021), TV911 (12-05-2020)
Old 11-03-2019, 09:59 PM
jjdepalma
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this thread it was a great help. just replaced alarm siren on my 2011 CTT today. it was easy but a little tedious. i also referenced DIY Dan's video on YouTube which helped too.
Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the alarm module