Notices

955 Cayenne DIY: Brittle breather hose fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 08:20 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 955 Cayenne DIY: Brittle breather hose fix!

Since I just posted a help needed thread, I thought it would be appropriate to share a quick fix to a problem that seems to plague almost everyone at some point, unless you're willing to shell out $160 for a replacement crappy plastic connector and hose.

My '05 CTT had been blowing oil vapor all over the driver-side top end of the motor, and as I soon discovered, one of the connectors had completely failed, leaving it disconnected from its mate, and on top of that, the accordion tubing was more crunchy than flexible, and broke in two places when I removed it to clean the mess up.

I salvaged the pipe ends, and sourced a piece of heavy duty heater hose with the same inside diameter, and then used zip ties to replace the squeeze-ring clippy things that turned to dust. There are ridges on both sides of the connectors that are the same thickness as a standard 8" zip tie, so the job ended up looking halfway decent, and offers at least, if not more, strength than the original clip had.

Here's the finished results for both the top-end elbow pipe, and the riser pipe that plugs into the manifold connected to the AOS.

The following 2 users liked this post by mark_ctt:
DIYDanCars (09-15-2020), Heegoogoo1 (12-08-2020)