Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Do 2025 Cayennes come with bigger wheels than 2020 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2024, 08:12 PM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@retom have you seen any cut away diagrams of the new suspension compared to the pre 2024 components?
No, I don't have diagrams but here is more about 2024 suspension ant tires:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/pres...d-bremsen.html
Old 09-03-2024, 12:46 AM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Porsche said that the larger tire has more contact patch on the pavement for better traction and the higher sidewall offers a softer ride. The tires won't be cheaper since the tire has more rubber and they are probably a new custom tire size with higher Porsche specs.
The 2 valve vs 3 valve should allow adjusting levels of both the compression stroke and the rebound stroke in a more controlled maner. Fox/Polaris developed an electronically (instant) controlled shock for high end Polaris Turbo UTV's with 2 valves. It made a huge difference on softening bumps at lower speeds and also improved performance at higher speeds. In some conditions less rebound allows a faster yet controlled return for the next bump vs still being partually compressed-leaving less travel. Alteratively, if the spring rate is increased too much you get a quick full return but harsher ride.
We don't encounter stutter bumps much in an SUV and with air suspension vs shocks, but the principle is similar. Some early Cayenne reviews commented on the softer ride without losing anything in Sport modes...might just have been repeating Porsche marketing gab.
Obviously it's more complicated on a Porsche but that's my understanding...could be wrong.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:50 AM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

@Ron.s what you said about the tires is interesting because in the 30 years i have ridden road bicycles tires have gotten larger. reasons i have heard are that the softer tires provide more cushion and allow the rider to be less fatigued and you can run lower pressure with a higher volume tires. even w a bicycle that would make for a larger tire contact area on the road. all of that makes sense. of course if you get too big then you end of losing benefit, but they only went up to 45 and 40 for the 21 inch wheels from 40 and 35, which isn’t a huge amount. there are all kinds a high performing cars that don’t run on rubber bands and still corner like they are on rails. not that they cayenne is one of these, but the thicker tires are probably a better compromise for most cayenne drivers.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:51 AM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Porsche said that the larger tire has more contact patch on the pavement for better traction and the higher sidewall offers a softer ride. The tires won't be cheaper since the tire has more rubber and they are probably a new custom tire size with higher Porsche specs.
The 2 valve vs 3 valve should allow adjusting levels of both the compression stroke and the rebound stroke in a more controlled maner. Fox/Polaris developed an electronically (instant) controlled shock for high end Polaris Turbo UTV's with 2 valves. It made a huge difference on softening bumps at lower speeds and also improved performance at higher speeds. In some conditions less rebound allows a faster yet controlled return for the next bump vs still being partually compressed-leaving less travel. Alteratively, if the spring rate is increased too much you get a quick full return but harsher ride.
We don't encounter stutter bumps much in an SUV and with air suspension vs shocks, but the principle is similar. Some early Cayenne reviews commented on the softer ride without losing anything in Sport modes...might just have been repeating Porsche marketing gab.
Obviously it's more complicated on a Porsche but that's my understanding...could be wrong.
Just to clarify.
Before facelift:
- shock absorbers with 1 valve - standard suspension
- 3 chamber air suspension with 1 valve - adaptive suspension
After facelift:
- shock absorbers with 2 valves - standard suspension
- 2 chamber air suspension with 2 valves - adaptive suspension
Old 09-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Just to clarify.
Before facelift:
- shock absorbers with 1 valve - standard suspension
- 3 chamber air suspension with 1 valve - adaptive suspension
After facelift:
- shock absorbers with 2 valves - standard suspension
- 2 chamber air suspension with 2 valves - adaptive suspension
Thanks... my brain thought chambers, my hand typed valves.
The following users liked this post:
retom (09-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Do 2025 Cayennes come with bigger wheels than 2020 ?