Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front clunking backing out of driveway or parking spot w/wheel turned left or right

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 07:19 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Front clunking backing out of driveway or parking spot w/wheel turned left or right

Hello Y'all .. :-)

So this is a new one After going to four dealerships (two in New Hampshire, one in CT, and then back to Fairfield Porsche in CT), the master tech there was able to find the " clunking sound" I was getting when backing out of the driveway or a parking spot with the wheel turned almost at any degree. He found that both front drive shafts needle bearings are shot , left one being the worst so much play in it and so it showed me it may have snapped off or come apart under hard acceleration, AND my electric-assisted steering rack has " way too much play in it ".

He called the Porsche helpdesk on Wednesday. They told him to do a bunch of things, but put the go-ro cameras on and drive it and send them the videos, etc. He said it got escalated quickly to Germany, and Germany wants 18 parts replaced and sent back to Germany directly. They have never seen this issue on any 2019+ Cayenne turbo, and of course, all the parts are coming from Germany. He said he's never seen these problems in any of the 2019s that have come into the Fairfield location and looked in the history of the service department and couldn't find any cases like this in any of their repairs to date.

Parts list ( that I know of) :
left and right front drive axles
front sway bar & bushings, along with the 48V anti-roll bar electric servos
electrically assisted rack and pinions steering assembly, outer and inner tie rods
both lower control arms
and the 80K service, Oil change, transfer case fluid, and front, and rear diff fluid change and I told them they might as well drop the gearbox change the fluid, and filter in that as well.

All this at 79,950 miles... NOT GOOD!! I'm not impressed at all. I put 300+ K on ( 3) Range Rover Sports. I think I replaced the lower ball joints twice. Now, this thing needs this much work in 80K miles?

I'm glad I have a 543hr PHEV RRS ATB on order. Yes, it wouldn't be as fast, but it will be a lot more comfortable driving long distances.

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 08-24-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:47 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
Hello Y'all .. :-)

So this is a new one After going to four dealerships (two in New Hampshire, one in CT, and then back to Fairfield Porsche in CT), the master tech there was able to find the " clunking sound" I was getting when backing out of the driveway or a parking spot with the wheel turned almost at any degree. He found that both front drive shafts needle bearings are shot , left one being the worst so much play in it and so it showed me it may have snapped off or come apart under hard acceleration, AND my electric-assisted steering rack has " way too much play in it ".

He called the Porsche helpdesk on Wednesday. They told him to do a bunch of things, but put the go-ro cameras on and drive it and send them the videos, etc. He said it got escalated quickly to Germany, and Germany wants 18 parts replaced and sent back to Germany directly. They have never seen this issue on any 2019+ Cayenne turbo, and of course, all the parts are coming from Germany. He said he's never seen these problems in any of the 2019s that have come into the Fairfield location and looked in the history of the service department and couldn't find any cases like this in any of their repairs to date.

Parts list ( that I know of) :
left and right front drive axles
front sway bar & bushings, along with the 48V anti-roll bar electric servos
electrically assisted rack and pinions steering assembly, outer and inner tie rods
both lower control arms
and the 80K service, Oil change, transfer case fluid, and front, and rear diff fluid change and I told them they might as well drop the gearbox change the fluid, and filter in that as well.

All this at 79,950 miles... NOT GOOD!! I'm not impressed at all. I put 300+ K on ( 3) Range Rover Sports. I think I replaced the lower ball joints twice. Now, this thing needs this much work in 80K miles?

I'm glad I have a 543hr PHEV RRS ATB on order. Yes, it would be as fast, but it will be a lot more comfortable driving long distances.
Make sure it is not just a simple loose component that needs to be torque down, as described in the link below

I had to visit the dealer multiple times because they could not find the root cause, until I was able to reproduce it on driveways and I was still on warranty, otherwise who knows what would they have charged..

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17376642

The following users liked this post:
cwazyeurodrivr (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 12:29 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Make sure it is not just a simple loose component that needs to be torque down, as described in the link below

I had to visit the dealer multiple times because they could not find the root cause, until I was able to reproduce it on driveways and I was still on warranty, otherwise who knows what would they have charged..

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17376642

THANK YOU!!! I'm e-mailing the service manager right now !!! Thank you again !

Quick Reply: Front clunking backing out of driveway or parking spot w/wheel turned left or right