Coolant leak - '19 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 05:32 PM
Coolblue65
6th Gear

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Coolant leak - '19 Turbo

Hey everyone-

Recently I sold my '13 GTS and upgraded to '19 Turbo, no issues until this past week. It appears I have coolant leak from the front of the motor, it's enough of a leak that it leaves a small puddle when sitting over night after a drive. You can see the picture where it appears to be originating from, this is looking below from the front of the motor. My assumption is that this is just a temp sensor, however I can't seem to find any part diagram that indicates what part this is exactly let alone anyone who has done this repair. I intend to do this repair myself, I am quite qualified and have the tools, garage, code reader etc, just want to see if anyone knows what I am about to get into with this project? On that note there seems to be very little in the world of DIY information on the 9Y0's compared to the early models. I suppose as more of these come out of warranty we will see more people like me doing their own work.

Old 08-20-2024, 07:46 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Is that photo from above or from below?

Read about failed water pumps on V8 models. The active shroud seal fails and can take the vacuum pump with it.

Water pump replacement on the V8 is certainly doable, and a big job. Hopefully that is not your situation.
Old 08-21-2024, 12:34 PM
Coolblue65
6th Gear

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Is that photo from above or from below?

Read about failed water pumps on V8 models. The active shroud seal fails and can take the vacuum pump with it.

Water pump replacement on the V8 is certainly doable, and a big job. Hopefully that is not your situation.
That is looking from below. I'll look more into the water pump, although it seems most of what I saw initially was people talking about there experience with dealer repairs on it.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:15 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Thanks. The item you circled is directly below the water pump. You need to definitively identify the root cause of the leak. If it is simply a sensor, it could be an easy and inexpensive repair.

If the water pump is leaking it’s a big job. The V8 water pump is twice the size of the V6 and requires more disassembly in a tighter space than V6 installations. And if the active shroud seal has failed, you should take care of this asap to avoid collateral damage of vacuum pump failure from coolant ingestion into it.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak - '19 Turbo