Sponsored By:

Grinding Noise Below 25 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 02:07 PM
mattvandyk
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Grinding Noise Below 25 MPH

New (3 days old) Turbo E-Hybrid w/ CCBs. This is my first time with CCBs and first time with a hybrid, so I don't know if this is the brakes or the hybrid system or what or if it's something to get checked out. But, basically, regardless of what mode I'm in and regardless of if I'm on the brake pedal or not, once the car decelerates to asbout 25 MPH, there is a light grinding noise (sort of like a slightly tinny white noise) when decelerating all the way through to 0 MPH. It does not get louder if I brake nor does it get quieter at any time. It's basically, anytime I'm sub 25 MPH, it's there.

Before I make a fool of myself with the dealer, is there a non-problem explanation for this?

Thanks!

--Matt
Old 08-17-2024, 04:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 609 Posts

It's the government-mandated noise to make sure you don't sneak up on an unsuspecting pedestrian. I'm not making this up, even though it sounds nonsensical. I hate it. It's way louder than a gas engine would make at the same speed, so WTF...
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
daveo4porsche (08-18-2024), Palantir (08-19-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 04:37 PM
mattvandyk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's the government-mandated noise to make sure you don't sneak up on an unsuspecting pedestrian. I'm not making this up, even though it sounds nonsensical. I hate it. It's way louder than a gas engine would make at the same speed, so WTF...
Not that I don’t believe you, but that seems insane to me and this has the air of “snipe hunting”. Any chance you can shoot me a link? This seems unbelievable.
Old 08-18-2024, 09:00 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

^^^ The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made a rule that any vehicle operating on electric power has to make an audible noise when it’s traveling below about 19 mph — to make sure that pedestrians can hear it coming. Above that speed, tire noise announces a car’s arrival.

But not just any noise, mind you —
our bureaucrats worked overtime on this one. 🤡 They dictated that manufacturers use at least four octave bands with expensive drive-by testing and elaborate formulas.

Read all about it:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-4...ection-571.141

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ctric-vehicles

The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
daveo4porsche (08-18-2024), Palantir (08-19-2024), rajatparihar (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 10:23 AM
retom
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 263 Posts

But the OP writes that the sound is audible in every mode he drives in. So I assume that also when the ICE is working and then the artificial warning sounds are not generated.
Old 08-18-2024, 10:42 AM
mattvandyk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schnave
^^^ The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made a rule that any vehicle operating on electric power has to make an audible noise when it’s traveling below about 19 mph — to make sure that pedestrians can hear it coming. Above that speed, tire noise announces a car’s arrival.

But not just any noise, mind you —
our bureaucrats worked overtime on this one. 🤡 They dictated that manufacturers use at least four octave bands with expensive drive-by testing and elaborate formulas.

Read all about it:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-4...ection-571.141

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ctric-vehicles
That is absolutely insane, but thanks for the info. Learned something new today!
Old 08-18-2024, 10:43 AM
mattvandyk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by retom
But the OP writes that the sound is audible in every mode he drives in. So I assume that also when the ICE is working and then the artificial warning sounds are not generated.
I’m going to test this again today. I thought I was hearing it in every drive mode, but to be perfectly honest, the car is so damn loud in sport and sport plus (the ICE-only modes) that it’s frankly hard to hear it. I’ll test it to make sure, though.
Old 08-18-2024, 10:44 AM
retom
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by mattvandyk
I’m going to test this again today. I thought I was hearing it in every drive mode, but to be perfectly honest, the car is so damn loud in sport and sport plus (the ICE-only modes) that it’s frankly hard to hear it. I’ll test it to make sure, though.
Turn off the sports exhaust system before testing.
Old 08-18-2024, 08:06 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

I had reported to dealer who added what was basically lube to the system. He asked if it waited at port for a while but mine hadn’t.

CCBs add some level on top being some suggest a break in, some say cold CCBs squeak and there’s the whole hybrid regen application that I can firmly say is beta at best.

After the break job / lube it’s much much better , non CCBs though
Old 08-18-2024, 08:16 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by mattvandyk
New (3 days old) Turbo E-Hybrid w/ CCBs. This is my first time with CCBs and first time with a hybrid, so I don't know if this is the brakes or the hybrid system or what or if it's something to get checked out. But, basically, regardless of what mode I'm in and regardless of if I'm on the brake pedal or not, once the car decelerates to asbout 25 MPH, there is a light grinding noise (sort of like a slightly tinny white noise) when decelerating all the way through to 0 MPH. It does not get louder if I brake nor does it get quieter at any time. It's basically, anytime I'm sub 25 MPH, it's there.

Before I make a fool of myself with the dealer, is there a non-problem explanation for this?

Thanks!

--Matt
as noted - safety noise for all EV's - it makes it harder and more sporting to sneak up on Pedestrians with this noise - before the noise was mandated the Pedestrians had less chance of hearing your EV silent vehicle - basically it wasn't fair and the advantage was to the driver for hunting - regulators feel this evens the playing field so everyone has a much better chance…different vehicle's accomplish this goal with different sounds but they all have it…

prior to having this sound EV's were are a particular advantage at night if they also had the night vision pedestrian targeting system - between the enhanced optics and no sound - well yeah - advantage driver…

the sound evens the playing field.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-18-2024 at 08:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Schnave (08-18-2024), ThomasWShea (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 08:59 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
as noted - safety noise for all EV's - it makes it harder and more sporting to sneak up on Pedestrians with this noise - before the noise was mandated the Pedestrians had less chance of hearing your EV silent vehicle - basically it wasn't fair and the advantage was to the driver for hunting - regulators feel this evens the playing field so everyone has a much better chance…different vehicle's accomplish this goal with different sounds but they all have it…

prior to having this sound EV's were are a particular advantage at night if they also had the night vision pedestrian targeting system - between the enhanced optics and no sound - well yeah - advantage driver…

the sound evens the playing field.
i.e. that episode of the office where andy gets pinched between a prius and a parking barricade because he couldn’t hear the prius coming!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
daveo4porsche (08-18-2024), Toothmechanic (08-19-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 10:29 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

One can only wonder why not use an enhanced automobile sound like an exhaust rumble or engine noise? At least passengers in your expensive car won't think you have a POS "bucket of bolts"!
Will a Pedestrian even associate the noise with a vehicle?
Old 08-18-2024, 10:44 PM
mattvandyk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ron.s
One can only wonder why not use an enhanced automobile sound like an exhaust rumble or engine noise? At least passengers in your expensive car won't think you have a POS "bucket of bolts"!
Will a Pedestrian even associate the noise with a vehicle?
this is the way
Old 08-19-2024, 09:41 PM
Toothmechanic
Track Day

These are not the Porsches you are looking for….

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise Below 25 MPH