Sponsored By:

headup display retrofit ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 06:20 AM
JuergenL
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headup display retrofit ?

Is it possible to retrofit the original headup display without dismantling the entire car?

Any experiences here ?
Old 08-03-2024, 08:18 AM
Kendo67
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Would it not involve replacing the entire dashboard , just for starters ?

The above alone would make it an expensive , time consuming task.

K
Old 08-03-2024, 09:32 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,510 Posts

That sounds VERY expensive.
Old 08-03-2024, 10:24 AM
retom
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 263 Posts

This requires replacing the entire dashboard. You don't have to dismantle the entire car, but it's still a very large intervention in the car's structure.
This is also very expensive retrofit that carries the risk of side effects if this option is not installed at the factory.
It would be easier and cheaper to sell this car and buy another one with HUD.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 06:02 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
This requires replacing the entire dashboard. You don't have to dismantle the entire car, but it's still a very large intervention in the car's structure.
This is also very expensive retrofit that carries the risk of side effects if this option is not installed at the factory.
It would be easier and cheaper to sell this car and buy another one with HUD.
the dash for non HUD has a panel where the HUD would be…you can’t just buy the HUD and pop out the blank panel and install the HUD panel?
retom (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 07:16 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I believe that the HUD requires a windshield with a specific coating - consequently, you would need to replace the existing windshield with an appropriate one.

Bottom line with all of this - trying to implement a HUD retrofit is not a realistic / feasible task.

Old 08-03-2024, 08:36 PM
retom
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
the dash for non HUD has a panel where the HUD would be…you can’t just buy the HUD and pop out the blank panel and install the HUD panel?
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the dashboard without HUD looked like the one on the enclosed picture. Perhaps the new model has the covering panel. Also, Ironman88 is right, there is a need of windshield with special glass for HUD.

Last edited by retom; 08-03-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2024, 03:28 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I believe that the HUD requires a windshield with a specific coating - consequently, you would need to replace the existing windshield with an appropriate one.

Bottom line with all of this - trying to implement a HUD retrofit is not a realistic / feasible task.
We should check parts to verify, i thought this need for a special coating was now overcome due the projected light being brighter. no need for a coating to support the hud.

Originally Posted by retom
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the dashboard without HUD looked like the one on the enclosed picture. Perhaps the new model has the covering panel. Also, Ironman88 is right, there is a need of windshield with special glass for HUD.

here is a pic…to my eye, looks as though this panel can come out and be replaced - at least for 2024.

Old 08-04-2024, 03:31 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by JuergenL
Is it possible to retrofit the original headup display without dismantling the entire car?

Any experiences here ?
anything can be done with sufficient time/money and technical support - i mean they do build them - as to retrofitting - it will be: easier, faster, cheaper, and likely a better result to sell the current vehicle and buy one the way you want it.

but if you want to do it - go for it - when you're into it for 2x what the delta to a new car would've cost let us know.
Old 08-04-2024, 04:19 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

yeah it will cost at least 4x what the option costs…if it is the only thing a car doesn’t have then it may be worth it. i bought a car off the lot that didn’t have some options i was sure i wanted. i didn’t have time to wait for an order. most of the options i just gave up on. rear sun shades, HUD, sport exhaust, gt steering wheel, and air suspension. w the hud i never had it before, some friends have it and never use it, frankly i don’t think about it at all anymore - same w the air suspension. i did buy a gt steering wheel, and the sport exhaust i plan to buy once one of the two i want are available. there is no perfect build. i will probably get the carbon fiber mirror caps as well.
Old 08-04-2024, 10:39 AM
retom
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
We should check parts to verify, i thought this need for a special coating was now overcome due the projected light being brighter. no need for a coating to support the hud.

here is a pic…to my eye, looks as though this panel can come out and be replaced - at least for 2024.
Yes, it looks like the 2024 Cayenne has a cover instead of HUD (cost saving). Surely (I checked) HUD requires a different windshield.
ThomasWShea (08-04-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 01:22 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

If you add in cost of parts, dismantling the dash and pulling it out of the car then reassembly and various coding to allow it to intergrate with the PCM and ECU and rest of the sensors IF that works...you'd be likely into 5x cost of the option itself and even beyond the cost of just finding a car with HUD IF you really wanted it. Steering wheels, shift *****, even seats and exhausts are easy to retrofit most to the time but when you start talking bout electronics like HUD or air suspension or rear wheel steer and such you get into prohibitive cost terrirory likely. Even a PSE retrofit can cost you $5-10k easily from what some folks have quoted out here.

Quick Reply: headup display retrofit ?