Suggested period to wait before upgrading from new car

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 07:26 PM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Suggested period to wait before upgrading from new car

Hello,

As crazy as it sounds I got my 24’ S in December of 2023 and am already scoping out when it would be sound to upgrade to the new GTS. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love my S and plan to keep it for a minimum of 2 years of ownership. That being said I put on around 5-6k miles per year and wanted to hear when others think would be an “ok” time to upgrade to a GTS. Massive depreciation is expected of course considering the way these things fall in price when buying new.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:13 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by jo2134
Hello,

As crazy as it sounds I got my 24’ S in December of 2023 and am already scoping out when it would be sound to upgrade to the new GTS. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love my S and plan to keep it for a minimum of 2 years of ownership. That being said I put on around 5-6k miles per year and wanted to hear when others think would be an “ok” time to upgrade to a GTS. Massive depreciation is expected of course considering the way these things fall in price when buying new.
this week or next is good for me…life's too short to "wait" for something - if you know what you want go get it

suggestion you "order one" custom to your exact specs - Porsche's build time and delivery time will provide a sufficient "waiting period"
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
LDT (07-25-2024), OncPorsche (07-25-2024), toma nova (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM
Arclite6
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a massive difference between your 24 S build versus a GTS build? I mean a well optioned S is fairly similar to GTS minus the 24 extra HP and Torque unlike the previous V6 CS vs V8 GTS. The refreshed puts the S a lot closer to the GTS.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Mdoots
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jo2134
Hello,

I guess it depends if there are any new features you 'must have' or if there are other benefits to an upgrade so quickly. I had a 2023 base cayenne which was my first porsche suv (coming from Audi Q7). I enjoyed it a lot, comfortable, quiet etc. but found it lacking a bit of pep... too similar in that department to the Q7 (for obvious reasons). Ultimately I had it for just over 1 year and traded it in for 2022 cayenne tgt (with 11,000km on it only). In this case, it was an upgrade across the board almost everywhere... except for no sunroof, which my son reminds me of constantly

Maybe there are improved handling characteristics to the GTS over the S but will it be justifiable over the trade and increased price? that is for you to answer... I looked at the 2025 GTS as well but frankly, was not too impressed in the HP bump from the S which pushed me towards the turbo gt.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

When your spouse gives the go ahead….
The following 3 users liked this post by Dyim:
jo2134 (Today), mafpolo (Yesterday), OncPorsche (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

If you have a base S and want to build your own GTS, otherwise it seems like a huge waste…. Even if money is not an issue, it’s just an odd decision. Maybe go Turbo E or TGT but S to GTS seems odd, again assuming a well spec’s S to GTS.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mgx1020
If you have a base S and want to build your own GTS, otherwise it seems like a huge waste…. Even if money is not an issue, it’s just an odd decision. Maybe go Turbo E or TGT but S to GTS seems odd, again assuming a well spec’s S to GTS.
I agree with your suggestion of going to the TGT. I originally had a loaded S on order and switched the order to a TGT and very glad I did.
The following users liked this post:
OncPorsche (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
When your spouse gives the go ahead….
this is the correct answer lol
Old Today, 09:09 AM
Sammersam
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

It's never too early to look for a '25. IMO the depreciation on the S and S Coupes will be less than you think particularly because the model year 25 took a big increase of over $6,000. You can get an idea of what the certified pre-owned pricing looks like by going on the Porsche Locator.

Tell you SA your interested in a GTS and see what he thinks. They might be very happy to get your car back and sell you a new one because it's a double sale. I don't think it's a waste at all going from an S to a GTS. The TGT is another $60,000 at least and not sure what you get for that additional amount.
Old Today, 09:27 AM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you all for your responses. My 24’ S is well optioned with Sport Design front fascia, RAS, sport exhaust, 18 way seats, 21” RS wheels and other options. The idea of E hybrid does not appeal to me to be honest and TGT is more than I’d like to spend. I can see what others are saying when they say the change over will be minimal. I guess its my way of getting another chance at a build to add all of the options I missed this time around

The idea probably sounds better in my head than it’d be in reality and waiting 2+ years is probably the right move.

Old Today, 10:25 AM
Sammersam
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Discuss it with your SA at your Porsche dealer. If you don't ask you don't get. You never know what he might say. Maybe he has a customer interested in a certified pre-owned built just like yours.

Quick Reply: Suggested period to wait before upgrading from new car