Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exposed Steering Column Shaft on Cayenne Coupe 2024

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 05:09 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Stuff like this and the fragile piano black plastic dash, which I literally ruined by rubbing my shirt sleeve on it, makes me think I’ll sit Porsche out for now until they up their game and go back to some of their roots. My 2018/2019 Porsches don’t have these “features.” They have swung the pendulum too far in one direction and customers are noticing.
Old 07-23-2024, 06:29 PM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I love Porsche, always finding ways to keep the vehicle weight down.
Yes, apparently the new Turbo S model to be presented this fall will be unpainted. This is to reduce its weight by about 1.5 kg, what will significantly improve the performance of this car. The price is also expected to increase by approximately 10% due to this special, performance body finish.

Last edited by retom; 07-23-2024 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:22 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 226 Posts

There’s a breaking point for everything. I’ve always liked P-cars and currently have a Cayenne GTS on order but I sense Porsche is backsliding, kind of like where Boeing has gone. My sentiments are unrelated to this thread. I remember growing up when everyone owned GE appliances and Sony made the best TVs. Look at us now. Thank goodness for competition and I’m not loyal to one brand. Porsche better wake up and smell the coffee.
The following users liked this post:
toma nova (07-24-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 11:56 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
There’s a breaking point for everything. I’ve always liked P-cars and currently have a Cayenne GTS on order but I sense Porsche is backsliding, kind of like where Boeing has gone. My sentiments are unrelated to this thread. I remember growing up when everyone owned GE appliances and Sony made the best TVs. Look at us now. Thank goodness for competition and I’m not loyal to one brand. Porsche better wake up and smell the coffee.
Perfectly stated.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:10 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 226 Posts

One more thing and rant is over, at least on this thread. Porsche is headed in the wrong direction. Arrogance, narcissism, ego....who knows. I just hope the Cayenne GTS won't turn out to be a lemon like another Porsche that It's replacing. I never used to be a Bimmer guy but now I'm all in. I also used to say that I'm not a Vette guy but the new Z06 catches my attention day by day. Nuff said!
Old 07-24-2024, 10:05 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

My favorite Cayenne "premium feature" are the plugs at the top rear of the interior front door panels where lock ***** would have been installed. Do all Cayennes have these plugs or just the lowly ones like mine that don't have full leather? These plugs remind me of the Volvo 242 that I bought in 1978 and kept 13 months due to it being so awful. It had power front windows and large plastic plugs where window cranks would have been located if it had manual windows.

So ... can I pry out these plugs and screw in door lock ***** so I can watch them get sucked up and down like Mercedes vacuum locking system *****? I've seen people on this forum do mods that are at least as strange, e.g. replacing their colored Porsche emblems with drab Turbonite emblems.

Plugs where door lock ***** would have been installed

Last edited by Woofman; 07-24-2024 at 10:07 AM. Reason: "drab" is more accurate
Old 07-24-2024, 10:32 AM
retom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Woofman
My favorite Cayenne "premium feature" are the plugs at the top rear of the interior front door panels where lock ***** would have been installed. Do all Cayennes have these plugs or just the lowly ones like mine that don't have full leather? These plugs remind me of the Volvo 242 that I bought in 1978 and kept 13 months due to it being so awful. It had power front windows and large plastic plugs where window cranks would have been located if it had manual windows.

So ... can I pry out these plugs and screw in door lock ***** so I can watch them get sucked up and down like Mercedes vacuum locking system *****? I've seen people on this forum do mods that are at least as strange, e.g. replacing their colored Porsche emblems with drab Turbonite emblems.

This is the car alarm LED indicator cover. In LHD it is in the driver's door on the left side and in RHD on the right.
If you don't have a factory alarm, you only have 2 empty caps.

Schnave (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:27 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
This is the car alarm LED indicator cover. In LHD it is in the driver's door on the left side and in RHD on the right.
If you don't have a factory alarm, you only have 2 empty caps.
Thanks! Funny, I never noticed the LED in the driver side cap. I looks to me that former lock **** openings were "re-purposed". I've had many vehicles with factory installed alarms and all have had their flashing indicator lights somewhere on the dashboard.

My view is that if the Cayenne was aspiring to be a premium vehicle, a door panel without this plug would have been used on the passenger side of LHD Cayennes and vice versa.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:39 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Could be worse, we can get steer by wire; then we’ll never see the shaft.
mgx1020 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:31 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

I decided to look into the steer shaft cover and yes on my 22 it’s exposed. Never noticed as I usually don’t have a need to look into that area. Not noticeable even when vacuuming. I looked at the Boxster and guess what, no cover over the shaft though it’s much harder to see due to the low dash. Check out your other Porsche, probably not covered. I don’t see this as an issue more just standard way they do things.
Old 07-27-2024, 05:42 AM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 97 Posts

I noticed it on my 23 when I tried to install the stainless steel appearance pedals but can’t get the gas one on. Let’s discuss real problems rather than made up ones of a sexy piece of metal exposed how you handle this beast. RACECAR

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30059
Old 07-27-2024, 05:48 AM
Kendo67
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman

The previous 958 Cayenne had alarm LED`s on both front doors , the E3 has only one to save $$$ . How much is it actually saving ?

The door caps blanks look cheap for such an expensive vehicle.

K
Old 07-27-2024, 09:38 AM
retom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kendo67
The previous 958 Cayenne had alarm LED`s on both front doors , the E3 has only one to save $$$ . How much is it actually saving ?

The door caps blanks look cheap for such an expensive vehicle.

K
$1 here, $1 there, multiplied by the amount of savings in 1 car, multiplied by the number of cars produced gives the final amount that makes the accountants happy.

You can live with most of these savings, but the attention to detail shows the class of the manufacturer and the car.

Quick Reply: Exposed Steering Column Shaft on Cayenne Coupe 2024