Sponsored By:

Reversing camera question on 24 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 09:06 AM
southernpaladin
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reversing camera question on 24 Cayenne

In the reversing camera, or even forward camera, do the blue lines represent the width of the body of the vehicle OR represent the width of the body + mirrors?

I'm about to pick up the vehicle and would prefer not to learn the hard way!

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2024, 09:10 AM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

You have about 1 ft beyond the blue line
Old 06-09-2024, 01:02 AM
southernpaladin
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kalson
You have about 1 ft beyond the blue line
Ok. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2024, 04:06 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 312 Posts

in the parking settings you can turn on the “brake if we think ur going to hit something while ur backing up” setting. it works pretty well. if ur quick it will activate out of caution depending on the proximity of the item. if ur very slow it lets u get much closer to things. i had it off. then my girlfriend scratched the rear passenger door. now i have it on, for her. i don’t love it, but i would dislike getting a other scratch even more.

admittedly, my parking situation is extremely tight. you have to back in about 2 inches from a concrete pillar. I have been doing it for years so i am good at it, but it is tricky. she is from the suburbs.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 06-10-2024 at 04:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
southernpaladin (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 12:09 AM
southernpaladin
Track Day

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
in the parking settings you can turn on the “brake if we think ur going to hit something while ur backing up” setting. it works pretty well. if ur quick it will activate out of caution depending on the proximity of the item. if ur very slow it lets u get much closer to things. i had it off. then my girlfriend scratched the rear passenger door. now i have it on, for her. i don’t love it, but i would dislike getting a other scratch even more.

admittedly, my parking situation is extremely tight. you have to back in about 2 inches from a concrete pillar. I have been doing it for years so i am good at it, but it is tricky. she is from the suburbs.
Grateful for this tip. My parking situation is tight too. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2024, 12:47 AM
Talon38c
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It shocked me the one time it braked without my intention. I thought I broke the car or hit something but I was just backing out of my driveway and had plenty of clearence when the brakes jolted on. Hasn't done it since.

I almost feel like I'm in an airplane with all of the annunciators active and glass displays. .
Old 06-11-2024, 02:21 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 312 Posts

yeah when it brakes it isn’t subtle. the noise and abruptness will definitely shock a person if they aren’t expecting it or if they hasn’t set it off before.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:54 PM
retom
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 263 Posts

yeah when it brakes it isn’t subtle. the noise and abruptness will definitely shock a person if they aren’t expecting it or if they hasn’t set it off before.
This is how it's supposed to work. The system activates emergency braking to stop the car as quickly as possible. If it worked slowly and gently, the emergency braking system after detecting an obstacle would make no sense.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 10:16 PM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Talon38c
It shocked me the one time it braked without my intention. I thought I broke the car or hit something but I was just backing out of my driveway and had plenty of clearence when the brakes jolted on. Hasn't done it since.

I almost feel like I'm in an airplane with all of the annunciators active and glass displays. .
The function is called "Maneuvering Assist" (MA), and it is giving me nothing but trouble. Since day 1 when I picked up my new Cayenne S, I have disabled this MA function explicitly inside the PCM setting menu. However, even though MA is disabled, it is erroneously braking my vehicle during reversing even when the rear of the vehicle is wide open clear. On average, it happens about 2 times per month, and this error is happening randomly. When MA activates, it is always an error, which it should, because MA is shown inside the PCM menu as disabled.

The very first time it happened, the vehicle braked abruptly while I was reversing my vehicle. It really scared the $hit out of me because I thought I had hit a pedestrian or some hard objects, but in fact, the rear of my vehicle was all clear.

Unlike other owners who said the MA turned back on by itself inside the PCM menu, mine is always disabled whenever I go inside the PCM menu to verify.

I'm bringing my vehicle in to swap to summer tires this week, and I will tell my advisor to fix up this MA problem.

Old 06-12-2024, 02:52 AM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hate this feature going in reverse down my slope driveway. When i approach the level road it brakes hard
Old 06-12-2024, 02:55 AM
Talon38c
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Talon38c

I have to admit... I love the annuciators and the feel as if I'm in a cockpit. Especially with the HUD. 👍

Quick Reply: Reversing camera question on 24 Cayenne