Sponsored By:

Trade 958.2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 04:41 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Trade 958.2?

For the dads out there, would you trade your 2016 S, 49K miles or keep it for soon to be 16yr old.
I'm picking up a 21 Turbo.

I was looking at CRV's, RAV 4 etc...used ones in the 2020+ range seem to be about the same price as the 958 with the same miles.
I haven't priced the insurance, but I know parts on the P car would be more like for like.
On a plus side, the pepper is one heavy beast, good for crash protection.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:41 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
For the dads out there, would you trade your 2016 S, 49K miles or keep it for soon to be 16yr old.

I was looking at CRV's, RAV 4 etc...used ones in the 2020+ range seem to be about the same price as the 958 with the same miles.
I haven't priced the insurance, but I know parts on the P car would be more like for like.
Your call. You know what maintenance and upkeep costs on the Cayenne. Can’t go wrong with a RAV or CRV. If you are up for the time and cost to keep the 958 going, that would be a cool dad thing to do.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:25 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

Consider it would make the kids day rolling around in a big P at 16. If the car is paid off, put that money away for repairs. That’s what I did and it has worked well. No repairs so far and the kid is treating it like a garage queen. Best gift from daddy. Ever.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-11-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:15 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Not sure where you live but I wouldn’t give my kid any high end make at that age.

He will get blown **** and probably mostly behind his back.

I gave my sons a 2014 Jeep Rubicon and a 2014 VW Touareg Diesel 2 years ago and we live in a very nice community.

With that said, I did drive a Daytona 500 Trans Am pace car and 1966 Mustang convertible in High School and I survived the jealousy but they aren’t PCARs
Old 05-12-2024, 09:16 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 244 Posts

as someone who had a corvette convertible and an rx-7 turbo ii in high school, this is not a good move.

i drove like an idiot. i am lucky to be alive.

just do what normal people do and put the kid in a honda. something that isn’t going to be a big deal when it gets into a wreck. not that the kid will wreck it, but someone may hit him. younger drivers haven’t yet learned how to watch for all the other idiots on the road yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
chassis (05-12-2024), LDT (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 10:14 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 222 Posts

My daughter drove a 2001 Wrangler. Small, sits up high, under-powered, awesome with the top off. Was most comfortable at 45-55mph. Also, touched up the bumper with flat black spray paint after she hit a fire hydrant. Super easy to work on and tons of aftermarket for parent-child projects.
LDT (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 11:00 AM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 365 Posts

Both of our kids had a Honda Civic as their first car and both kids insisted on manual tranny. Fast forward 30–35 years and both of them still own one car that’s a manual and are teaching their kids how to drive a manny. Sadly, the manual will be dead in a few years. I wouldn’t give my teenage kid a P-car for a plethora of reasons many of which are mentioned here. Kids need to start at the bottom and earn their way up the ladder in everything that is a life lesson.
Schnave (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 12:11 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

Your 16 year old is going to get challenged and tempted at a lot of stop lights. Their friends are going want to know how fast it is. I get challenged enough in California at stop lights, in a town of only 50K people, and this is a full-on nanny state with 91 octane.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:21 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Vapordan
Consider it would make the kids day rolling around in a big P at 16. If the car is paid off, put that money away for repairs. That’s what I did and it has worked well. No repairs so far and the kid is treating it like a garage queen. Best gift from daddy. Ever.
oh let me clarify. he did not get it at 17. He got a Mazda banger until he built the disciple at 24 years to get my AMG (not a P car). So ya, wait a while for the speed demons to be properly exorcised.
LDT (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:00 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 168 Posts

I would not put my child in a luxury car. In my opinion, it sends the wrong message both to your son and his friends.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:19 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eddieb4
Not sure where you live but I wouldn’t give my kid any high end make at that age.

He will get blown **** and probably mostly behind his back.
I gave my sons a 2014 Jeep Rubicon and a 2014 VW Touareg Diesel 2 years ago and we live in a very nice community.
With that said, I did drive a Daytona 500 Trans Am pace car and 1966 Mustang convertible in High School and I survived the jealousy but they aren’t PCARs
I think it's the same town, I think I've seen one of your seat ads.
Porsche, BMW, MB, Range Rover etc...is common place.
All the teens seem to be driving Jeeps and new Broncos.
Parent' in Tesla's and now Rivians are a dime a dozen.

Kid won't drive the car to school, he will continue to walk.

Does it change things if I don't "give" my kid the car. It's still my car, he can borrow it when needed. If I get a newer Cayenne, this will be 5th car for 3 drivers. (I have another P car, P track car, mom's car and the 958).
This is my issue, I don't want to share. I rarely share with my wife, her car is where the younger kids eat and drink etc... No food or drinks in my car.

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Your 16 year old is going to get challenged and tempted at a lot of stop lights. Their friends are going want to know how fast it is. I get challenged enough in California at stop lights, in a town of only 50K people, and this is a full-on nanny state with 91 octane.
I think this happens with any car in any town in America. Lots of Tesla's around, they will win.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:24 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vapordan
Not my kid, he could care less if it were a Geo or Bentley. He's not into cars. When the time comes I might see what I can get for a year or two old Subaru. One of the neighbor kids has a new Crosstrek, the other has some pastel small wheel Bronco.

Funny, I just looked this up. The inexpensive Bronco's have this engine:
1.5L 3-Cylinder Turbo Gas Engine That might be the way to go.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I just went through the same decision matrix and ended up keeping our 958. It's a 2014 Diesel.

The used car market is such a disaster. The typical $10k Cam/Cord is now a 200k mile plus ex-Uber POS that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I really, really wanted to find a better used vehicle but I was like...I could get $12-$15k for my used Cayenne Diesel and then that would get me a similar age, similar mileage Cam/Cord? IF that? Crazy.

Has it gotten better?

I will say my son is very responsible and loves the car. He does take good care of it but he does get crap from his friends even though their 2-3 year old used pickups are worth 2-3 times as much. If I had to do it again....I probably would bite the bullet just to not give him as nice of a car to start. I don't worry about him driving aggressively in the Cayenne. It's a slow diesel. It has taught him to value something nice, but....I just think it sends the wrong message.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 05-13-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:32 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I just went through the same decision matrix and ended up keeping our 958. It's a 2014 Diesel.

The used car market is such a disaster. The typical $10k Cam/Cord is now a 200k mile plus ex-Uber POS that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I really, really wanted to find a better used vehicle but I was like...I could get $12-$15k for my used Cayenne Diesel and then that would get me a similar age, similar mileage Cam/Cord? IF that? Crazy.

Has it gotten better?

I will say my son is very responsible and loves the car. He does take good care of it but he does get crap from his friends even though their 2-3 year old used pickups are worth 2-3 times as much. If I had to do it again....I probably would bite the bullet just to not give him as nice of a car to start. I don't worry about him driving aggressively in the Cayenne. It's a slow diesel. It has taught him to value something nice, but....I just think it sends the wrong message.
Thanks man. That's what prompted this thread after a cursory search on Autotrader/ Car Gurus etc...

Your experience is similar to when I bought a F250 for towing, bought it new, which I never do. I couldn't find a used truck that was worth to me what was being asked, all the used trucks had high mileage and were beat to death. Par for the course for a 3/4 ton. I made it up on the back end but this will be different. I'm thinking the kid will use the car in college and after....then he'll buy his own with his own money.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Thanks man. That's what prompted this thread after a cursory search on Autotrader/ Car Gurus etc...

Your experience is similar to when I bought a F250 for towing, bought it new, which I never do. I couldn't find a used truck that was worth to me what was being asked, all the used trucks had high mileage and were beat to death. Par for the course for a 3/4 ton. I made it up on the back end but this will be different. I'm thinking the kid will use the car in college and after....then he'll buy his own with his own money.
Yes, my son completely understands that this is not "HIS" car. It's our car, he's just borrowing it. When he goes to college next year, it will stay home and my daughter will drive it.

But still....

Quick Reply: Trade 958.2?