i386_64
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Bluetooth remote / physical SIM connectivity is not stable

This is rather a question about PCM 5.

PCM 5 supports internet connectivity by having either,
  • by making use of the embedded SIM card installed by the factory,
  • connecting to an external Wi-Fi hotspot, or
  • cellular connection by using the embedded SIM module.
I'm using an Android phone (Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G). You can connect the PCM 5 to the phone via Bluetooth, and it can make use of the SIM card on your phone to connect to the cellular network. I also have a physical full-size SIM card, which stays in the physical SIM slot found in the glovebox, though it's not inserted. I'm not sure if it works with Apple phones, nor it's a popular feature.

When I start the car, PCM 5 tries connecting to my mobile phone. In the devices pane, you have columns 'phone', 'media', and 'data'. It starts connecting to my phone by establishing 'phone' and 'media' connections first. Afterwards, it waits until the PCM 5 embedded SIM module gets initialised. You can observe that by looking at the devices pane, it'll bring you 'Integrated SIM card' for a moment and it'll try connecting to the phone SIM card by trying to establish a Bluetooth-based remote SIM connection.

80% of the time, it gets failed connecting to the phone SIM, resetting all the Bluetooth connections including 'phone' and 'media', and starts over again to initialise the SIM module. This behaviour doesn't change when you use a physical SIM card either. The SIM module initialisation probably takes around a minute, but it's buggy.

Once it's connected, it's fine and stable. It doesn't disconnect by itself.

I'm using most of the internet connectivity features of PCM 5, including Wi-Fi hotspot, online radio, Amazon Music, satellite maps and real-time traffic information. Most of the time the vehicle is driven abroad, my family members don't need to have roaming packages thanks to PCM 5 hotspot.

I'm searching that in the forum but no one actually reported a similar issue. I've tried deleting all Bluetooth devices and setting them up from scratch. Sometimes it fails for more than 30-35 minutes and I reset PCM 5 by going to 'engineering mode' and restarting the PCM 5 back, it connects in a couple of tries if not further. Very disappointing.

When you insert a physical SIM card, this renders somehow a different process, it reads 'SIM inserted', 'SIM removed', 'SIM inserted', 'SIM removed' on top of the PCM 5 screen, just in a couple of seconds although nothing is removed.

I've done some tests so far,
  • it happens both in Bluetooth remote SIM and physical SIM,
  • it doesn't matter which country you're in, happens in Croatia, Serbia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece,
  • disable automatic connection and waited for integrated SIM module to be initialised, and tried to switch to the phone SIM afterwards.
Has anyone experienced a similar issue with SIM connectivity? Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by i386_64; 05-07-2024 at 02:02 PM. Reason: incomplete post
Old 05-11-2024, 07:34 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

According to the manual, the car is hardwired to assume an external SIM is present. If that fails, it runs thru a list other external connections. If the PCM phone is turned off from settings’ it won’t hii is by for a SIM first.

you should re-initialized your PCM using the engineering reboot function. 2-finger reset.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:04 PM
i386_64
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I do reinitialise it sometimes, it's not a guaranteed solution. Most of the time, the result is still the same.

It wasn't doing this a couple of months ago. I don't know what happened. Could be a remote software update, or something.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth remote / physical SIM connectivity is not stable