Sponsored By:

2024 Cayenne Parasitic Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 09:10 AM
MacksNewCayenne
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 Cayenne Parasitic Drain?

I picked up a new Cayenne in April and upon taking possession I drove it for two days and then it sat for one day. When I went to start it on the 4th day the vehicle went into run mode (All lights on, A/C, radio etc came on) but it wouldn't turn over. I had it boosted and took it back to the dealer who is trying to trouble shoot. They have gotten back to me and told me there is a recurring fault and they need input from Porsche Canada which is usually a two day wait because it's first come first serve there. What sticks out to me is the fact that when I tried to start it I was getting this message on the PCM "Goodbye, Please don't leave anyone in the car, etc etc "

My initial thought is the vehicle didn't know it was turned off based on the timing of the message. Anyone else seen this issue and know what the fix was???

I've had electrical issues in the past on other vehicles and this one has me concerned. I am unclear on why there is a recurring fault now that was not caught during the PDI. Granted, I am unclear on the process when they run diagnostics during a PDI.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:26 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by MacksNewCayenne
I picked up a new Cayenne in April and upon taking possession I drove it for two days and then it sat for one day. When I went to start it on the 4th day the vehicle went into run mode (All lights on, A/C, radio etc came on) but it wouldn't turn over. I had it boosted and took it back to the dealer who is trying to trouble shoot. They have gotten back to me and told me there is a recurring fault and they need input from Porsche Canada which is usually a two day wait because it's first come first serve there. What sticks out to me is the fact that when I tried to start it I was getting this message on the PCM "Goodbye, Please don't leave anyone in the car, etc etc "

My initial thought is the vehicle didn't know it was turned off based on the timing of the message. Anyone else seen this issue and know what the fix was???

I've had electrical issues in the past on other vehicles and this one has me concerned. I am unclear on why there is a recurring fault now that was not caught during the PDI. Granted, I am unclear on the process when they run diagnostics during a PDI.
Make sure you don't have any non-OEM accessories installed/turned-on anywhere.

These USB controllers(on various brands) are known to stay on if they feel some higher current draw, in some cases.

If you have some accessories installed, you can disconnect them to see if your parasitic current leak goes away.

Depending on what the dealer finds or not find, you can try turning off comfort access, since there has been several cases with comfort mode turning on frequently to check/process keys nearby, or comfort access handle electronics defective and drawing current continuously. Have your key far ftom your vehicle to avoid the key RFID waking up comfort acces continuously.

Ask the dealer what is the existing parasitic current drain before and after the USB controllers turn off, after the vehicle has been turned off.

Last edited by PorscheACC; 05-03-2024 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MacksNewCayenne (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:34 PM
MacksNewCayenne
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, much appreciated
Old 05-03-2024, 12:43 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

when I picked up my 24, I had the battery tendered on the first night and it took well over 10 hrs to have it fully charged up (Lithium). My practice now is to have it on battery tender once a month to avoid the electrical gremlins.
The following users liked this post:
MacksNewCayenne (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:17 PM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bobblehead
when I picked up my 24, I had the battery tendered on the first night and it took well over 10 hrs to have it fully charged up (Lithium). My practice now is to have it on battery tender once a month to avoid the electrical gremlins.
are you sure it's Lithium? My understanding was they stoped using them. Can you look at the battery and verify?
Old 05-03-2024, 04:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

I don't have the updated '24 model yet, but speaking about 2019 model, I left it for over a month in a garage multiple times without battery issues. It did go into low battery state once rather quickly (1-2 days, as I recall) when someone left it unlocked and maybe with a door ajar. But otherwise, there is very little draw. Newer models may have more because there are more functions active when they are asleep (e.g., geofence), but still it should be weeks, not days.

Quick Reply: 2024 Cayenne Parasitic Drain?