Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What charger do you use? Is there a good alternative to the Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:00 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What charger do you use? Is there a good alternative to the Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro?

The Porsche charger is expensive $217 / £160 are there better value alternatives that will charge both lead acid and lithium batteries?

Last edited by whistler80; 03-21-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:22 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

I use both CTEK and NOCO Genius 10. While the CTEK is available in lithium or AGM versions, the NOCO Genius can be switched to charge both types. NOCO is less expensive and available with different charge capacities, as well. CTEK is 4.3 amps. NOCO available in 5 and 10 amp, among many other choices.

CTEK requires adapter to connect directly to battery terminals. NOCO has clever solution — the battery terminal ring connectors are integrated in the battery clamps. Just unscrew the ring connectors from the clamps and install them on the battery terminals.

However, both require a separate adapter to charge via the 12V power receptacle in the center console.

NOCO Genius 5: $70.
NOCO Genius 10: $100
https://no.co/products/charging

CTEK Lithium US: $118
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-LITHIUM-Automatic-Phosphate/dp/B00EUF6UM8 https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-LITHIUM-Automatic-Phosphate/dp/B00EUF6UM8

Last edited by Schnave; 03-21-2024 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whistler80 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 01:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
I use both CTEK and NOCO Genius 10. While the CTEK is available in lithium or AGM versions, the NOCO Genius can be switched to charge both types. NOCO is less expensive and available with different charge capacities, as well. CTEK is 4.3 amps. NOCO available in 5 and 10 amp, among many other choices.

CTEK requires adapter to connect directly to battery terminals. NOCO has clever solution — the battery terminal ring connectors are integrated in the battery clamps. Just unscrew the ring connectors from the clamps and install them on the battery terminals.

However, both require a separate adapter to charge via the 12V power receptacle in the center console.

NOCO Genius 5: $70.
NOCO Genius 10: $100
https://no.co/products/charging

CTEK Lithium US: $118
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-LITHIUM-Automatic-Phosphate/dp/B00EUF6UM8
I have the CTEK Lithium charger with the "comfort connect" option. This permits it to be used with the 12V receptacle located on the passenger side front, just under the left side of the glove box instead of having to use the under-hood terminals. There is a common misunderstanding that you can't use the comfort connect on this series Cayenne as the 12V receptacle will "go to sleep" after a relatively short period of time, shutting down the charging process. This however is not the case if one uses the proper protocol with the comfort connect:

1) Hit the "unlock" function on your key fob. (This wakes the car up, and in doing so the 12V receptacle is recognized.)
2) With the comfort connect attached to the CTEK charger, plug it into the 12V receptacle in the location noted above
3) Plug the CTEK charge into AC power
4) Hit the "lock" function button on your key fob. With this done, the 12V receptacle will stay active.

I follow this routine once weekly and have never had any issues.

whistler80 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 754 Posts

NOCO is great, it resets back to the prior setting after a power drop. I left 2 cars on NOCO and one on the Porsche charger during a long trip. There was a power drop. NOCO went back to charge and the Porsche sat there "ready" doing nothing. Fortunately the battery is AGM and survived. For lithium on long periods I do not trust the Porsche charger. It resets even without power fluctuations.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:44 PM
BIG8
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I have the CTEK Lithium charger with the "comfort connect" option. This permits it to be used with the 12V receptacle located on the passenger side front, just under the left side of the glove box instead of having to use the under-hood terminals. There is a common misunderstanding that you can't use the comfort connect on this series Cayenne as the 12V receptacle will "go to sleep" after a relatively short period of time, shutting down the charging process. This however is not the case if one uses the proper protocol with the comfort connect:

1) Hit the "unlock" function on your key fob. (This wakes the car up, and in doing so the 12V receptacle is recognized.)
2) With the comfort connect attached to the CTEK charger, plug it into the 12V receptacle in the location noted above
3) Plug the CTEK charge into AC power
4) Hit the "lock" function button on your key fob. With this done, the 12V receptacle will stay active.

I follow this routine once weekly and have never had any issues.
I plug mine into the 12V socket in the center console and it works fine. And is more convenient.
Ironman88 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:27 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

How long are you guys going away for? I've never charged mine in 3 years but 3 weeks is the longest I've been away from the car. And Ironman, you charge your car every week?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:57 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang
How long are you guys going away for? I've never charged mine in 3 years but 3 weeks is the longest I've been away from the car. And Ironman, you charge your car every week?
Yes - I fully charge it once overnight every week. (I only put about 100 miles or so a week on the car.)

Back story: I bought my CPO '19 Cayenne last December 21st. On December 22nd, it was totally dead in my garage.

The dealership evaluated the battery and determined it should be replaced - and did so.

When I read through the various threads here in the 9Y0 Cayenne forum and learned how much the battery and replacement would cost, I decided I would make absolutely sure that it was fully charged regularly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
icemang (03-23-2024), whistler80 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 03:59 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,034 Likes on 584 Posts

As an FYI in about 2-3 months Antigrvaity Batteries will be releasing our new line of chargers to compete with and offer more features and functionality than the CTEK and some other Chargers on the Market. It will be offered for a lower price than CTEKs yet offer much more in terms of the features and functionality of the CTEK and most name Brands. This post is not to bash CTEK or any other brand, they make great stuff and we actually recommend and sell for our Lithium Batteries...but the fact is we just felt it was time for more functionality and usefulness from a Charger. So we made our own that would work best in terms of what we found we needed in our Business since we do so much testing, charging and analyzing of batteries. Pricing will be around or slightly less than a brand like NOCO.

The new Antigravity Batteries Chargers model line will offer a 2-Amp, 4-Amp and 10-Amp Charger. For Automobiles/Trucks it will be mainly the 4-Amp and 10Amp Models of Chargers that are best for that application.

So heres the features of our chargers.

-We didn't like the colored LED "lights" on Chargers that tell where you are in the Charge Cycle. We actually manufacture Lithium Batteries so we wanted to see the actual Voltage and Current going into the Battery during the Charge Cycle and an indicator or how full the battery was. So, we made a Digital Display that shows the actual Voltage and Current that the Charger is Charging the Battery at. That Digital display also will have a easy to read Battery Icon Showing the level of Charge on the Battery and also display other information when used in other modes which I will describe below.

- We wanted to have a Voltage Meter on the Charger itself because sometimes you want to know what the Battery Voltage is at without having to pull out a Multimeter. So we incorporated a Voltage Meter into our Battery Charger. Its a great useful feature we did not see on other chargers.

- Since we are Lithium Battery Manufacturers specifically, we wanted our Charger to be able to WAKE UP a Lithium Battery's BMS (Battery Management System). Something that the CTEK cannot do, and most the other products we have tested won't do this effectively either. The issue is the if a Lithium Battery over-discharges its BMS protection will put it into a Sleep Mode, but a regular Charger cannot wake up a Lithium Battery because it will see no Voltage at the terminals due to the battery being asleep. But our Charger will have a BMS wake up feature.

- We wanted the Charger to do MORE than just Charge a Lithium Battery or Lead/Acid/AGM Battery like the CTEKs. This is not something new but we wanted this feature so we incorporated it. At Antigravity we are always testing and recharging batteries of all different types and didn't like the wasted time of having several different types of Chargers. So we built in the ability of our Chargers to Charge, (at the correct profiles) 6v and 12v Lithium (Lifepo4) Batteries, 12v Lead/Acid batteries such as AGMs, Gel, or Flooded forms of Lead/Acid. Also on our 10 Amp Model it will charge 12v and 24v Batteries.

- We wanted the customer to be able to Change out a Battery or have a 12v source of power to power other things, so we put in a Power Supply Mode into these Chargers. This will enable you to switch out a battery and not lose any settings if you connect our Charger to your battery clamps during a Battery change, or you can power DC things like Air Pumps and other stuff wth it. Again some other Chargers do this already so we wanted to do the same, it another good feature.

-We stayed with the Typical SAE Battery pigtail type of Connection for our Clamps, Charger, and Pigtail. We DO NOT like the when brands like CTEK, NOCO and other with proprietary connections for thier connectors are used. Not a big deal for some, but very big for others who travel and are on the road alot, and a big deal in our garage for simplicity since we have several different types of chargers and most all have the original SAE type pig tails.... ran into this in MEXICO where a guy had a CTEK pigtail on his big ADV bike yet the only charger we could find was an SAE tip, so eneded up dinkering around for 45 minutes.

- I does have the recondition mode for Lead/Acid Batteries as well as and Automatic Winter mode for all battery types, no need to select Winter mode it does it automatically with it built in temperature sensor.

So we are getting in the ring to compete against the stalwarts soon...
The following 8 users liked this post by Antigravity:
ihbond (05-13-2024), Jimmer911TS (03-22-2024), Oldboy52 (03-22-2024), PorscheACC (03-22-2024), retom (03-22-2024), Schnave (03-22-2024), Vapordan (03-26-2024), whistler80 (03-22-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2024, 05:58 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
As an FYI in about 2-3 months Antigrvaity Batteries will be releasing our new line of chargers to compete with and offer more features and functionality than the CTEK and some other Chargers on the Market. . . . So we are getting in the ring to compete against the stalwarts soon...
Outstanding features! I find that the digital display of SOC and charge rate information on my XP-20HD very valuable. Glad to see that and more on your new charger. I’m on your email list but in case I miss it, be sure to post here when it is available for sale. I want one!
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
Antigravity (03-22-2024), whistler80 (03-22-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:40 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Any updates on the release date?
The following 2 users liked this post by Agcsr25:
Jkb545 (06-08-2024), whistler80 (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: What charger do you use? Is there a good alternative to the Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro?