2024 Porsche Cayenne review

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 05:04 PM
Dr Bormental
7th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up 2024 Porsche Cayenne review

Intro

I acquired the 2024 Porsche Cayenne in December 2023. Since then, it has covered over 3,000 miles, enduring both city commutes filled with potholes and a road trip through the icy conditions of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

This review may lean towards criticism rather than praise, deliberately so. For those seeking glowing endorsements, numerous advertisement-supported car magazines and influencers have already offered their thoughts on the vehicle without much critique. Prior to purchasing the Cayenne, I struggled to find substantial criticism in their reviews.

My frame of reference primarily consists of BMWs and Volkswagens dating back to the early 2000s, including models such as the Golf, Jettas, 330i, X3, and X5. I have a deep affinity for BMWs, having driven them for years. The Cayenne marks my first car purchase in over a decade. Additionally, I have a fair amount of Telsa miles under my belt since so many of my friends have them.

Which Cayenne am I reviewing? Mine is equipped with the base engine but boasts nearly all available luxury and convenience packages, including premium and technology options.

Driving Impressions

The 2024 Cayenne proves to be a joy on the open road, particularly highways, where it exudes stability and tranquility. It's like riding a tank flying close to the ground. Cruising at 80mph feels akin to a leisurely 50mph in most other vehicles. Whether credit goes to the air suspension (an upgrade option), I cannot definitively say, as I haven't experienced the standard setup. However, I must note that while the suspension excels on highways, it lacks the finesse I've come to expect over rougher terrain, occasionally transmitting jolts from minor potholes to the cabin. Comparing to BMWs here.

Acceleration of the base engine is more than sufficient for both city driving and highway maneuvers such as passing or merging — hardly a surprising revelation. Yet, another contributor to its stellar highway performance is the exceptional soundproofing, rendering the cabin an oasis of serenity with minimal intrusion of tire or wind noise.

Now, let's talk steering. As a devotee of BMW's old-school communicative and weighty steering, I initially found the Cayenne's responsiveness lacking, reminiscent of a video game controller. However, as speed picks up, the steering gains weight and remains sharp, offering a palpable connection to the road. Beyond 35mph, it achieves a perfect balance, solidifying its appeal to me.

Transitioning to transmission, I have no qualms. Downshifts are swift and seamless, and the engine-transmission pairing, combined with supreme sound insulation, creates the impression of responsiveness of an electric car, something a turbocharged vehicle with an automatic transmissions usually can't boast about.

So, yes, it's somewhat predictable: the Cayenne excels behind the wheel. No surprises here...

Interior and Ergonomics

When it came to selecting a luxury brand, a quality interior was paramount, drawing from my 12-year ownership of a BMW X5. Initially, my plan was straightforward: head to a BMW dealership and snag myself a new X5. Little did I know, it seems someone at BMW had a panic attack after sitting in a Tesla a few years ago, resulting in their vehicles morphing into iPhones on wheels. All-new BMWs now assault drivers with panoramic LCDs and touchscreens, a far cry from what I deem practical or user-friendly. So, it was a hard pass from me. Next stop: Audi dealership, only to find the same "Minority Report" style interior in the Q5. Needless to say, I didn't even bother with a test drive and noped the hell out of there.

Enter the Cayenne. As of now, it stands as the sole luxury German-made mid-size SUV not plagued by the iPhone-on-wheels craze. Sure, there are screens, but they seamlessly blend into the classic car dashboard. Nothing obstructs your view, and all essential functions boast physical buttons with haptic feedback – a round of applause for Porsche.

Another common gripe I have with cars, spanning from my BMWs to nearly every rental I've ever had, is the automatic climate control. It's always been too noisy, rendering the auto mode pointless. Somehow, Porsche cracked the code, maintaining interior temperature without sounding like a jet taking off. How they achieved this, I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect the size and shape of the air vents play a role. They're exceptionally well-designed, and for the first time ever, I simply set the temperature in my car and never have to fuss with it again.

However, upon taking delivery of the car, I immediately noticed a moderate, near-constant cracking sound in the roof. The service advisor brushed it off as the car needing to "settle," which I found odd but shrugged off. Fast forward three months, and the cracking only worsened, permeating the entire interior. It's like being surrounded by a chorus of creaks every time I hit anything but the smoothest highway. Every door, the roof, the cargo area – they all creak, even with minor accelerations or braking.

Upon raising this issue with the dealer, I was met with the same "wait for it to settle" response. Unconvinced, I sought a second opinion from another dealership, only to be told, "What did you expect? It's an SUV." The service advisor seemed unfazed by the fact that my brand-new Porsche Cayenne had more interior creaks than a 12-year-old BMW X5. It dawned on me then that Porsche is basically a Volkswagen: same manufacturing culture and tolerance for interior build quality. At this point, I've resigned myself to "enjoying" the interior of a $20K vehicle for 5x times the price and moving on. It's a bitter pill to swallow, knowing that lemon laws in the US don't cover poor interior craftsmanship.

And the issues don't stop at creaking and cracking. The quality of the seat leather is subpar, with my three-month-old car showing wear comparable to my BMW X5 after 5-7 years: the side bolsters are already deforming. And this is with the premium leather and 14-way adjustable seat option. Maybe I should've stuck with the basic seat...

Technology

I must repeat my compliments to Porsche for their elegant integration of LCD screens into a classic dashboard layout, as well as their exemplary UI design. For the first time in my life, I've encountered a navigation system from a car manufacturer that rivals Google Maps on my phone. The automatic zooming, map rendering, and search functionality are all well executed. Moreover, the virtual instrument cluster (LCD behind the steering wheel) is highly configurable, and I particularly appreciate how the information is divided between the HUD and other screens. Having the map right in front of my eyes is a long-held dream of mine, and Porsche executed it brilliantly. As a software product manager myself, I must offer immense praise to the UI designers at Porsche.

My compliments must stop at the designers though, as the software and hardware engineers have fallen short in terms of quality implementation. The infotainment system suffers from lag, with button presses resulting in delays ranging from borderline acceptable 1/4 of a second to utterly frustrating 2-3 seconds depending on which button you press. The search function often returns nothing initially, only to miraculously find what you're looking for as you continue typing. Furthermore, the UI animations are always jerky and lack smoothness, leaving the whole experience feeling like running Windows or MacOS on a TI calculator. Despite my efforts to embrace it, I ultimately found myself abandoning it in favor of Apple CarPlay. What a disappointing waste of potential.

The bugs go beyond navigation and music. The Cayenne has a ton of software-controlled settings, but the car “forgets” some of them and “remembers” the others. The chassis settings, for example, are forgotten after you restart the car. What is the point then, Porsche? Do you expect me to re-configure the vehicle to my needs every time I start it? Needless to say, we stopped using those features. But the most blood-boiling anti-feature is the automatic engine stop. I see the point of having it sometimes, but the Porsche’s implementation is the worst I’ve ever seen. It turns the engine off before you come to a complete stop! This is a safety hazard. On several occasions it killed the engine just as I was trying to slow down before the left turn when there was a small opening in the upcoming traffic. It does the same thing on stop signs or when you’re slowing down before a sharp turn in the mountains. But the worst of all, it cannot be permanently turned off! There is a setting to disable this moronism, but of course the car “forgets” it after you restart it. Thankfully there’s an option to assign engine auto-off function to button on a steering wheel, and still it pisses me off because now I have the stupid ritual of having to press that button every time I start the car.

The car remembers your settings (well… some of them) in your driver profile. You can have several profiles and they can be assigned to key *****. Unfortunately the assignment is automatic, i.e. if you and your wife are both in the vehicle and you both have your key ***** on you, I guarantee that eventually you’ll get tired of profiles getting mixed up. After 3 months of trial and error we gave up and have a single profile, resorting to the old method of assigning seat+steering ergonomics to the numbered buttons on the driver’s door. So once again, poor implementation rendered the entire capability utterly useless.

Another display of Porsche software engineering is how the vehicle communicates with your smartphone. One of the most common things we do is to find a location on a phone and then send it to the car. Takes less than a second in a Tesla. Guess how long it takes to send a location from a Porsche app to the Cayenne? Somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 hours, but sometimes it never shows up. Mind you, this is a premium feature which you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for. Do we use it? Of course not. Meanwhile, several car magazines have reviewed the 2024 Porsche Cayenne and reported its infotainment system to be “responsive”. It is barely usable and we’re using it as a dumb CarPlay display.

Smart cruise control is something I’ve always wanted in my 12 year old X5 and it works extremely well. It’s been a few weeks since I started using it regularly and now it’s ON basically 100% of the time when I commute. I find it superbly reliable, predictable and quite smart. The accident avoidance (AKA automatic braking) also works extremely well, I found a way to test it safely and it’s confidence-inspiring. I use the automatic lane-keeping feature as well. This is not exactly self-driving, but I can’t imagine a situation when I can get into a fender-bender in traffic anymore. I am ashamed to say this, but all this reliable automation is basically inviting me to be more distracted because the car is 90% driving itself most of the time. The same can be said about the self-parking ability. The only other car where I tried this feature is a Tesla and the Cayenne is 10x better: faster, reliable, reassuring. It blows my mind that Porsche figured out how to do these complicated things so well, but can’t send a destination address from a smartphone to a car in a couple of seconds!

The user manual

This must be the first and only car review in the world with a chapter dedicated to the car’s manual. You must see this thing. Every section on every topic, no matter how simple, begins with a huge list of safety warnings, legal disclaimers, and disclosures of limitations. They literally occupy about 80% of the manual making it utterly impossible to read. I am an avid reader of manuals and I’ve never seen this before. This must be the example of a bureaucratic failure somewhere within the Porsche org. Maybe a blind intern in the legal department accidentally working without supervision? Outsourcing gone bad?

TLDR

Engaging steering, superb engine and transmission paired to well-executed safety and driving assistance features. Average suspension. Well designed but awfully implemented software. Poorly assembled interior with some questionable materials. Manual reads like a legal disclosure on a beachfront condo in the hurricane zone.

I hope someone finds this useful. I definitely could have benefited from a review like this prior to purchasing the vehicle.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dr Bormental:
bigface (05-24-2024), Fahrfun (03-12-2024), Needsdecaf (03-14-2024), snakepilot 69 (03-13-2024), spyderphile (03-20-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 05:14 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bormental

Intro

I acquired the 2024 Porsche Cayenne in December 2023. Since then, it has covered over 3,000 miles, enduring both city commutes filled with potholes and a road trip through the icy conditions of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

This review may lean towards criticism rather than praise, deliberately so. For those seeking glowing endorsements, numerous advertisement-supported car magazines and influencers have already offered their thoughts on the vehicle without much critique. Prior to purchasing the Cayenne, I struggled to find substantial criticism in their reviews.

My frame of reference primarily consists of BMWs and Volkswagens dating back to the early 2000s, including models such as the Golf, Jettas, 330i, X3, and X5. I have a deep affinity for BMWs, having driven them for years. The Cayenne marks my first car purchase in over a decade. Additionally, I have a fair amount of Telsa miles under my belt since so many of my friends have them.

Which Cayenne am I reviewing? Mine is equipped with the base engine but boasts nearly all available luxury and convenience packages, including premium and technology options.

Driving Impressions

The 2024 Cayenne proves to be a joy on the open road, particularly highways, where it exudes stability and tranquility. It's like riding a tank flying close to the ground. Cruising at 80mph feels akin to a leisurely 50mph in most other vehicles. Whether credit goes to the air suspension (an upgrade option), I cannot definitively say, as I haven't experienced the standard setup. However, I must note that while the suspension excels on highways, it lacks the finesse I've come to expect over rougher terrain, occasionally transmitting jolts from minor potholes to the cabin. Comparing to BMWs here.

Acceleration of the base engine is more than sufficient for both city driving and highway maneuvers such as passing or merging — hardly a surprising revelation. Yet, another contributor to its stellar highway performance is the exceptional soundproofing, rendering the cabin an oasis of serenity with minimal intrusion of tire or wind noise.

Now, let's talk steering. As a devotee of BMW's old-school communicative and weighty steering, I initially found the Cayenne's responsiveness lacking, reminiscent of a video game controller. However, as speed picks up, the steering gains weight and remains sharp, offering a palpable connection to the road. Beyond 35mph, it achieves a perfect balance, solidifying its appeal to me.

Transitioning to transmission, I have no qualms. Downshifts are swift and seamless, and the engine-transmission pairing, combined with supreme sound insulation, creates the impression of responsiveness of an electric car, something a turbocharged vehicle with an automatic transmissions usually can't boast about.

So, yes, it's somewhat predictable: the Cayenne excels behind the wheel. No surprises here...

Interior and Ergonomics

When it came to selecting a luxury brand, a quality interior was paramount, drawing from my 12-year ownership of a BMW X5. Initially, my plan was straightforward: head to a BMW dealership and snag myself a new X5. Little did I know, it seems someone at BMW had a panic attack after sitting in a Tesla a few years ago, resulting in their vehicles morphing into iPhones on wheels. All-new BMWs now assault drivers with panoramic LCDs and touchscreens, a far cry from what I deem practical or user-friendly. So, it was a hard pass from me. Next stop: Audi dealership, only to find the same "Minority Report" style interior in the Q5. Needless to say, I didn't even bother with a test drive and noped the hell out of there.

Enter the Cayenne. As of now, it stands as the sole luxury German-made mid-size SUV not plagued by the iPhone-on-wheels craze. Sure, there are screens, but they seamlessly blend into the classic car dashboard. Nothing obstructs your view, and all essential functions boast physical buttons with haptic feedback – a round of applause for Porsche.

Another common gripe I have with cars, spanning from my BMWs to nearly every rental I've ever had, is the automatic climate control. It's always been too noisy, rendering the auto mode pointless. Somehow, Porsche cracked the code, maintaining interior temperature without sounding like a jet taking off. How they achieved this, I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect the size and shape of the air vents play a role. They're exceptionally well-designed, and for the first time ever, I simply set the temperature in my car and never have to fuss with it again.

However, upon taking delivery of the car, I immediately noticed a moderate, near-constant cracking sound in the roof. The service advisor brushed it off as the car needing to "settle," which I found odd but shrugged off. Fast forward three months, and the cracking only worsened, permeating the entire interior. It's like being surrounded by a chorus of creaks every time I hit anything but the smoothest highway. Every door, the roof, the cargo area – they all creak, even with minor accelerations or braking.

Upon raising this issue with the dealer, I was met with the same "wait for it to settle" response. Unconvinced, I sought a second opinion from another dealership, only to be told, "What did you expect? It's an SUV." The service advisor seemed unfazed by the fact that my brand-new Porsche Cayenne had more interior creaks than a 12-year-old BMW X5. It dawned on me then that Porsche is basically a Volkswagen: same manufacturing culture and tolerance for interior build quality. At this point, I've resigned myself to "enjoying" the interior of a $20K vehicle for 5x times the price and moving on. It's a bitter pill to swallow, knowing that lemon laws in the US don't cover poor interior craftsmanship.

And the issues don't stop at creaking and cracking. The quality of the seat leather is subpar, with my three-month-old car showing wear comparable to my BMW X5 after 5-7 years: the side bolsters are already deforming. And this is with the premium leather and 14-way adjustable seat option. Maybe I should've stuck with the basic seat...

Technology

I must repeat my compliments to Porsche for their elegant integration of LCD screens into a classic dashboard layout, as well as their exemplary UI design. For the first time in my life, I've encountered a navigation system from a car manufacturer that rivals Google Maps on my phone. The automatic zooming, map rendering, and search functionality are all well executed. Moreover, the virtual instrument cluster (LCD behind the steering wheel) is highly configurable, and I particularly appreciate how the information is divided between the HUD and other screens. Having the map right in front of my eyes is a long-held dream of mine, and Porsche executed it brilliantly. As a software product manager myself, I must offer immense praise to the UI designers at Porsche.

My compliments must stop at the designers though, as the software and hardware engineers have fallen short in terms of quality implementation. The infotainment system suffers from lag, with button presses resulting in delays ranging from borderline acceptable 1/4 of a second to utterly frustrating 2-3 seconds depending on which button you press. The search function often returns nothing initially, only to miraculously find what you're looking for as you continue typing. Furthermore, the UI animations are always jerky and lack smoothness, leaving the whole experience feeling like running Windows or MacOS on a TI calculator. Despite my efforts to embrace it, I ultimately found myself abandoning it in favor of Apple CarPlay. What a disappointing waste of potential.

The bugs go beyond navigation and music. The Cayenne has a ton of software-controlled settings, but the car “forgets” some of them and “remembers” the others. The chassis settings, for example, are forgotten after you restart the car. What is the point then, Porsche? Do you expect me to re-configure the vehicle to my needs every time I start it? Needless to say, we stopped using those features. But the most blood-boiling anti-feature is the automatic engine stop. I see the point of having it sometimes, but the Porsche’s implementation is the worst I’ve ever seen. It turns the engine off before you come to a complete stop! This is a safety hazard. On several occasions it killed the engine just as I was trying to slow down before the left turn when there was a small opening in the upcoming traffic. It does the same thing on stop signs or when you’re slowing down before a sharp turn in the mountains. But the worst of all, it cannot be permanently turned off! There is a setting to disable this moronism, but of course the car “forgets” it after you restart it. Thankfully there’s an option to assign engine auto-off function to button on a steering wheel, and still it pisses me off because now I have the stupid ritual of having to press that button every time I start the car.

The car remembers your settings (well… some of them) in your driver profile. You can have several profiles and they can be assigned to key *****. Unfortunately the assignment is automatic, i.e. if you and your wife are both in the vehicle and you both have your key ***** on you, I guarantee that eventually you’ll get tired of profiles getting mixed up. After 3 months of trial and error we gave up and have a single profile, resorting to the old method of assigning seat+steering ergonomics to the numbered buttons on the driver’s door. So once again, poor implementation rendered the entire capability utterly useless.

Another display of Porsche software engineering is how the vehicle communicates with your smartphone. One of the most common things we do is to find a location on a phone and then send it to the car. Takes less than a second in a Tesla. Guess how long it takes to send a location from a Porsche app to the Cayenne? Somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 hours, but sometimes it never shows up. Mind you, this is a premium feature which you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for. Do we use it? Of course not. Meanwhile, several car magazines have reviewed the 2024 Porsche Cayenne and reported its infotainment system to be “responsive”. It is barely usable and we’re using it as a dumb CarPlay display.

Smart cruise control is something I’ve always wanted in my 12 year old X5 and it works extremely well. It’s been a few weeks since I started using it regularly and now it’s ON basically 100% of the time when I commute. I find it superbly reliable, predictable and quite smart. The accident avoidance (AKA automatic braking) also works extremely well, I found a way to test it safely and it’s confidence-inspiring. I use the automatic lane-keeping feature as well. This is not exactly self-driving, but I can’t imagine a situation when I can get into a fender-bender in traffic anymore. I am ashamed to say this, but all this reliable automation is basically inviting me to be more distracted because the car is 90% driving itself most of the time. The same can be said about the self-parking ability. The only other car where I tried this feature is a Tesla and the Cayenne is 10x better: faster, reliable, reassuring. It blows my mind that Porsche figured out how to do these complicated things so well, but can’t send a destination address from a smartphone to a car in a couple of seconds!

The user manual

This must be the first and only car review in the world with a chapter dedicated to the car’s manual. You must see this thing. Every section on every topic, no matter how simple, begins with a huge list of safety warnings, legal disclaimers, and disclosures of limitations. They literally occupy about 80% of the manual making it utterly impossible to read. I am an avid reader of manuals and I’ve never seen this before. This must be the example of a bureaucratic failure somewhere within the Porsche org. Maybe a blind intern in the legal department accidentally working without supervision? Outsourcing gone bad?

TLDR

Engaging steering, superb engine and transmission paired to well-executed safety and driving assistance features. Average suspension. Well designed but awfully implemented software. Poorly assembled interior with some questionable materials. Manual reads like a legal disclosure on a beachfront condo in the hurricane zone.

I hope someone finds this useful. I definitely could have benefited from a review like this prior to purchasing the vehicle.
Thanks. Agree with everything except transmission which I find subpar, broadly applied to the driveline system.

Which seats do you have? 14- or 18-way?

Which wheels do you have? 20”, 21” or 22”?
Old 03-12-2024, 05:24 PM
Dr Bormental
7th Gear

14-way seat. 20" wheels. The transmission is excellent compared to what I'm used to (12+ year old BMWs), i.e. everything is relative.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 05:30 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Sunroof: try cleaning and applying silicone to areas the moveable roof meets with the seals. Pay close attention to where the 2 glass sections come together. On my 3rd panoramic roof and creaking is a common issue that can be resolve through maintenance. If this doesn’t correct sometimes the panel lift mechanism needs to be lubricated. The dealers should have did this based on your complaint.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

14-way seat. 20" wheels. The transmission is excellent compared to what I'm used to (12+ year old BMWs), i.e. everything is relative.
Air suspension + 20” wheels is the best possible combination for 9Y0 ride comfort, so a surprise it didn’t meet your expectations.

Seat leather on 9Y0.2 is indeed inferior to .1 and 958, widespread agreement on this.

Old 03-14-2024, 04:43 PM
Dr Bormental
7th Gear

I was talking to a car enthusiast I know (one of those folks who has almost as much $$ invested into his garage and tools as in his vehicle) who also drove the 2024 Cayenne and his opinion is that at least partially the interior creaking is caused by too much flex in the Cayenne's body. I found his suggestion surprising because I've grown accustomed to seeing manufacturers boasting about % in rigidity increase from one model year to the next, for years now. Once I started paying attention to this, I indeed feel more flexing, bending and twisting in the Cayenne than I do in Tesla Model Y.
chassis (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:17 PM
retom
Pro

Received 430 Likes on 253 Posts

I was talking to a car enthusiast I know (one of those folks who has almost as much $$ invested into his garage and tools as in his vehicle) who also drove the 2024 Cayenne and his opinion is that at least partially the interior creaking is caused by too much flex in the Cayenne's body. I found his suggestion surprising because I've grown accustomed to seeing manufacturers boasting about % in rigidity increase from one model year to the next, for years now. Once I started paying attention to this, I indeed feel more flexing, bending and twisting in the Cayenne than I do in Tesla Model Y.
I don't think that 2024 Cayenne body was changed compared to the previous model. Creaking can be caused by new interior design and other material used in it. In Tesla Y the body may be stiffer because it is a purely BV design where the low placed, flat battery is a structural element of the car.

Last edited by retom; 03-14-2024 at 07:18 PM.
chassis (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 09:30 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I think if I had to suffer with those creaks I would shoot the car and the dealer. Not necessarily in that order.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:38 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,621 Posts

My 2023 Cayenne creaks like a wooden ship despite two attempts by the dealer to rectify including extensive work on the sunroof. Very disappointing.

@Dr Bormental I am sorry you dislike the layout of the new BMW displays. They offer truly superior functionality except for the base map which is better in the Porsche. I also own a ‘24 M3 in addition to my ‘23 Cayenne. The BMW tech is superior there.

all in all I think you mostly nailed the review. Thank you for taking the time to write it up. I agree with you on the transmission as well, my ‘23 is beyond reproach as was the ‘23 base loaner I had. The older ‘20 loaner I had was not as good. Also agree with your remarks on the smartphone integration. My wife and I are frustrated by dropped connections, and inability to start phone connection despite the phone being shown in the display and that phone pressed to be active. Annoying.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:39 AM
abmiller
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback. Just to set the record straight regarding your "German-made mid-size SUV" this 9Y0.2 vehicle is manufactured at the Volkswagen plant in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Last edited by abmiller; 03-15-2024 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:48 AM
Dr Bormental
7th Gear

@abmiller LOL you're right. Maybe I should have said German-designed, but I bet they have engineers in other countries too! We live in a highly connected world.
@Needsdecaf Hey no worries. Interior design and ergonomics are highly subjective, but... the new BMWs are not exactly my cup of tea. Also, it feels nice knowing that others Cayennes are similar and mine is not a lemon. Thank you for sharing your experience! BTW, these mild creaks aren't nearly as annoying as rattles and thankfully my Cayenne is completely rattle free.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:03 AM
abmiller
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Dr Bormental;19333489]@abmiller LOL you're right. Maybe I should have said German-designed, but I bet they have engineers in other countries too! We live in a highly connected world.

Yes, Volkswagen has mastered cost cutting with shared components across multiple brands. The MLB Evo chassis, EA389 3.0T V6 engine sourced from Audi(built in Gyor Hungary). Fortunately, Porsche supplies all the V8s for Volkswagen with the 4.0TT V8.

Last edited by abmiller; 03-15-2024 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:35 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=abmiller;19333502]
@abmiller LOL you're right. Maybe I should have said German-designed, but I bet they have engineers in other countries too! We live in a highly connected world.

Yes, Volkswagen has mastered cost cutting with shared components across multiple brands. The MLB Evo chassis, EA389 3.0T V6 engine sourced from Audi(built in Gyor Hungary). Fortunately, Porsche supplies all the V8s for Volkswagen with the 4.0TT V8.
All engines are Volkswagen engines. Audi or Porsche designations are marketingspeak.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
abmiller (03-15-2024), George from MD (03-15-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts

Porsche has definitely been cutting corners on their interiors the last couple years in the base models. I attribute this mainly to the jack*ss CFO and his "Road to 20% Programme".
chassis (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 03:16 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 407 Likes on 299 Posts

[QUOTE=chassis;19333661]
Originally Posted by abmiller

All engines are Volkswagen engines. Audi or Porsche designations are marketingspeak.
there are no differences even in surrounding / attached components? the oil spec is different so it seems like there could be some very small physical difference. oil rings maybe? pistons? bearings? there is no internal difference?

Quick Reply: 2024 Porsche Cayenne review