Sponsored By:

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 PM
importtuner
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang
Sonax from Germany is a very good product, it makes short work of brake dust, leaves the wheels looking good, and is not expensive. About a bottle will do my 4 wheels.https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230200-...AQAvD_BwE&th=1
Thank you for the link! Seems like a great product!
Old 11-28-2023, 11:54 PM
importtuner
Racer

Originally Posted by rdboxster
I always wash the brakes to get rid of dust build up on the pad as much as possible. Hasn’t been a problem but if I am putting the car in the garage after the wash I usually do some back and forth dragging the brakes to dry them out. Prevents the surface rust on the rotors.
I never thought of doing this. So you're hosing down by where the pads would meet the rotors?
Old 11-29-2023, 08:01 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I use Gyeon Iron. I spray it on, and let it turn purple, then I use a pressure want (I sometimes use a pressure washer but it's not necessary), and the brake dust is gone. Brake dust is ferrous particles coming off of the pads and rotors. I do run a mitt with soap over the wheels very quickly to get rid of the dirt that is not brake dust. I dry the wheels and do occasionally put spray some Gtechniq C2V3 on a microfiber as I dry them. The surface rust on the rotors disappears within the first few miles driven. Before using the Gyeon irion, I spent more time cleaning the wheels than the rest of the car.

Also, when I replaced my brakes, I put on Z23 Powerstop pads. Regardless of what people say, the stopping power is just as good as OEM, and they emit way less dust.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 11:21 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by importtuner
I never thought of doing this. So you're hosing down by where the pads would meet the rotors?
Yes…cuts down on the dust build up on the pads and rotors. After a 2500 mile trip I had a chirp from the rear brake at low speeds. Washed the calipers well and the chirp was gone. I believe washing the brakes regularly helps reduce issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by rdboxster:
chassis (11-30-2023), importtuner (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 09:01 AM
importtuner
Racer

Very interesting. Can't believe I never thought of doing that. Almost seems too obvious, lol. Thanks boxter.

Quick Reply: Brake dust