Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 01:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,556 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
there is no noise from my hybrid when braking - at least nothing "abnormal"
Ditto. There is nothing that sounds like anything other than a normal car.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:29 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

there's definitely something, I'll drive it on a quiet road without the radio and report back.....

Last edited by ranlor79; 11-21-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:32 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
I have the MY23 and I confirm what dave said there is no weird regen noise from the brakes. Though there is a dry brake mechanical noise from the brakes after a cold start but goes away in couple of kms/ brakes.

maybe that's what I'm hearing...
Old 11-24-2023, 12:04 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Late to the game, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the plug in side of life. My first word of advice is to be sure to plug it in everyday. If you have a fairly regular schedule use the departure timer. Don't forget to set the cabin temp either. I gotta say that getting into a warm car is nice. It is a heavy vehicle but that said, Porsche shaved over 600# over the 958.2 eHybrid. Having air suspension is nice too. Don't know what the coupe comes standard with. I saw that someone recommended getting 220 service to the charger, that makes a big difference in charging time. If yoiu let the Cayenne self charge when on he highway you'll be surprised how quickly it comes up. What you'll like is the combined mpg, I currently average about 50+ according to the Gasbuddy app. I am in a 2024 loaner Cayenne while my 2019 eHybrid is in the shop for it's 40k service and so warranty items and just watching the fuel level drop as quickly as it feels is painful. Of course if I took it out of sport mode ... LOL.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:23 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Thanks craig001 actually, an electrician was suppose to come out today but he cancelled. I've seen several settings online posts that show different selections for ev but I haven't found them on the car.

For the most part I've been impressed with eHybrid. MFD shows 55mpg so that's amazing since it doesn't really 'feel' like your missing the ICE at lower speeds. It is so seamless in it's transition from ICE to EV that it's not even noticeable. I'm still unsure about the battery life over time, I was going to say that we tend to keep our cars but my wife doesn't seem to follow that rule. I'm still driving a '16 Tundra and she is on her 4 car in 5yrs. eHyrbrid does have the remaining factory and 2 yr CPO so that's comforting. Maybe by that time there will Li-Ion battery repair shops that just remove and replace the pack. Although, I'm sure there is some Porsche SW key that will throw all kinds of errors if someone tries to repair a battery.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,679 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by ranlor79
Thanks craig001 actually, an electrician was suppose to come out today but he cancelled. I've seen several settings online posts that show different selections for ev but I haven't found them on the car.

For the most part I've been impressed with eHybrid. MFD shows 55mpg so that's amazing since it doesn't really 'feel' like your missing the ICE at lower speeds. It is so seamless in it's transition from ICE to EV that it's not even noticeable. I'm still unsure about the battery life over time, I was going to say that we tend to keep our cars but my wife doesn't seem to follow that rule. I'm still driving a '16 Tundra and she is on her 4 car in 5yrs. eHyrbrid does have the remaining factory and 2 yr CPO so that's comforting. Maybe by that time there will Li-Ion battery repair shops that just remove and replace the pack. Although, I'm sure there is some Porsche SW key that will throw all kinds of errors if someone tries to repair a battery.
people overthink the battery issue - there is very very little data indicating problems with the LiON batterys in PHEV's or full EV's (they are not immune to problem), statistically they fail at the same rate as any other major drive train components, and perhaps slightly less likely to fail - also the PHEV battery is 8 years/100,000 miles I believe…

these are not cellphone/laptap batteries - and they have demonstrated longevity…again not to say they are faultless, but they are not prone to "wearing out" or failing - if you do happen to get a bad battery the likely hood is about the same as being nailed for a full engine or transmission problem - which again doesn't happy often but does happen.

this is a wholy separate from the 12V LiON batteries which do seem to have problems - but at about hte same rate as any other 12V battery for vehicles

small 12V battery longevity/reliability is about same as it ever was

big 400V EV batteries (PHEV's also) have very high reliability and low demonstrated failure rate but not immune to problems.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 11-24-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:38 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,679 Likes on 1,800 Posts

MY'2023 Cayenne eHybrid battery is covered until 2031 or 100,000 miles…battery should not be your concern…pic below is warranty summary from Porsche USA website.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 11-24-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by off
Yes, if you purchase. There is a leasing loophole that avoids origin of manufacture, MSRP and income limits that allows us to take advantage of the $7,500 EV credit.
Yes my SA confirmed Porsche takes $7500 off the top of the MSRP but only if you are leasing. Otherwise EV tax credit has been removed for US buyers. Tempting...will see what Porsche lease rates are when mine arrives next summer 2024. Maybe lease and then just buy it out after a few months if the numbers make sense to do so as I plan on keeping the vehicle for quiet a while anyway.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:51 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craig001
Late to the game, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the plug in side of life. My first word of advice is to be sure to plug it in everyday. If you have a fairly regular schedule use the departure timer. Don't forget to set the cabin temp either. I gotta say that getting into a warm car is nice. It is a heavy vehicle but that said, Porsche shaved over 600# over the 958.2 eHybrid. Having air suspension is nice too. Don't know what the coupe comes standard with. I saw that someone recommended getting 220 service to the charger, that makes a big difference in charging time. If yoiu let the Cayenne self charge when on he highway you'll be surprised how quickly it comes up. What you'll like is the combined mpg, I currently average about 50+ according to the Gasbuddy app. I am in a 2024 loaner Cayenne while my 2019 eHybrid is in the shop for it's 40k service and so warranty items and just watching the fuel level drop as quickly as it feels is painful. Of course if I took it out of sport mode ... LOL.
Driven the E car for awhile, maybe not enough on the highway but the only thing I notice is the battery discharging...... The green lights on the right side for charging have little to no activity. Only during braking do we get more than 2 lights. I've never seen the 'gauge' move up. Your comment makes me wonder if something is wrong...
Old 12-01-2023, 06:23 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Driven the E car for awhile, maybe not enough on the highway but the only thing I notice is the battery discharging...... The green lights on the right side for charging have little to no activity. Only during braking do we get more than 2 lights. I've never seen the 'gauge' move up. Your comment makes me wonder if something is wrong...
You won't get too much charging from braking, unless you're driving down a nice long mountain road for awhile. When you're driving on the highway, you can set it to hybrid, then there are subsets of hybrid mode, auto (default), e-hold (holds a certain level of charge), e-charge (charges while driving) found on the PCM. In addition, Sports/+ mode significantly charges the battery faster.

In the PCM, click on Vehicle, which is where you will find the different Hybrid Modes.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:46 AM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

I saw those modes in the manual but couldn't find them in the PCM until I drilled down another level on hybrid mode. Will change it to see what the difference will be.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:28 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Only a few minutes behind the wheel so far, but it doesn't 'feel' bad or that different. It is a heavy vehicle and I think that is noticeable. For me, it's the sound of the brakes regen system. It just sounds like the pads are worn out.
I drove my wife's '23 Hyrbid to work last week and was pulling up to a stop on the way back from lunch and my co-worker asked "is that the sound of the regen?" I realized what he was hearing was the pedestrian warning "wooooooosh" that you hear at all speeds below 20. Apparently he didn't really hear it when we were negotiating the parking lot, but did notice it came on when we were slowing down.

I bet this is what you are hearing. Drive with the windows down and listen. You can hear around 20 MPH it will shut off and turn back on, even with no brakes activated.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:05 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I drove my wife's '23 Hyrbid to work last week and was pulling up to a stop on the way back from lunch and my co-worker asked "is that the sound of the regen?" I realized what he was hearing was the pedestrian warning "wooooooosh" that you hear at all speeds below 20. Apparently he didn't really hear it when we were negotiating the parking lot, but did notice it came on when we were slowing down.

I bet this is what you are hearing. Drive with the windows down and listen. You can hear around 20 MPH it will shut off and turn back on, even with no brakes activated.
before I had a chance to read this. I did notice that switching to sports mode(ice) that the ‘noise’ went away. So you’re right although it does sound like a rotor to me.
I do wish that computer had a feature where the user selected a mpg and it programmed the best mix of battery and ice.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (12-04-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 09:55 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

before I had a chance to read this. I did notice that switching to sports mode(ice) that the ‘noise’ went away. So you’re right although it does sound like a rotor to me.
I do wish that computer had a feature where the user selected a mpg and it programmed the best mix of battery and ice.
I mean, Hybrid is the mode for that.

When we first got the car, i took to driving it in E Power all the time. But in Texas, we have fast roads with some fast merges (like getting onto a freeway access / feeder road from a stop that's signed at 45 but everyone's going 60). EPower acceleration doesn't cut it there. So I started driving it in hybrid in situations where I would get into the power more, or would be driving long enough to warm the engine up a bit. I wish the "virtual stop" was present in Hybrid mode like in EPower....it's harder to keep it in electric operation when you're in hybrid. So if I know I don't need the acceleration, I'll swich back to E-Power.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:46 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I mean, Hybrid is the mode for that.

When we first got the car, i took to driving it in E Power all the time. But in Texas, we have fast roads with some fast merges (like getting onto a freeway access / feeder road from a stop that's signed at 45 but everyone's going 60). EPower acceleration doesn't cut it there. So I started driving it in hybrid in situations where I would get into the power more, or would be driving long enough to warm the engine up a bit. I wish the "virtual stop" was present in Hybrid mode like in EPower....it's harder to keep it in electric operation when you're in hybrid. So if I know I don't need the acceleration, I'll swich back to E-Power.

Well it seems hybrid leans heavily on the battery or so it does on surface streets. We spent the day running errands and used all of the battery before finishing. I guess that's the intent but as technical as these are I would want to dial in the mpg and sort of set forget.

BTW- we had to take it in cuz the Cayenne badge fell off the tailgate, but the point I want to make is that there is a recall/service bulletin out for the hybrids - thermal management software upgrade for those interested. As the thread indicates, I'm new to this ev stuff and I was questioning the service writer about the ICE being designed to run at a certain temp and since the ICE shut down so often, how did it ever get to temp. He said that this upgrade should address some of that.....??

We use to live in DFW, so well aware of your commute issues....

Quick Reply: '23 Cayenne E Hybrid