Lane Keep Assist

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 11:48 AM
Obelix13
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lane Keep Assist

Good morning.
A quick question regarding lane keep assist.
I find this system very useful when driving automatically on the highway, but very unpleasant and dangerous on small country roads.
Can we deactivate this function once and for all or do we have to repeat the operation each time the vehicle restarts.
Of course I would like it to work in autonomous driving with the adaptive cruise control.
Thank you for your advice.
Sincerely
Obe
Old 09-02-2023, 12:45 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 377 Posts

LKA in my Cayenne sucked. LKA in my A6 was great. You would think the technology would be the same.
The following users liked this post:
ambitin (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 01:22 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Obelix13
Good morning.
I find this system very useful when driving automatically on the highway, but very unpleasant and dangerous on small country roads.
Can we deactivate this function once and for all or do we have to repeat the operation each time the vehicle restarts.
Of course I would like it to work in autonomous driving with the adaptive cruise control.
Sincerely
Obe
are you talking about LKA or ALK? If I believe this statement to be correct, LKA just tries to keep you in between the lines and is not synonymous with any form of autonomous driving. ALK keeps you in the middle and is more of a pseudo autonomous driving. I have both in my cayenne and on the highway with acc my car “essentially” drives itself and is better than most systems I’ve used in the past. LKA by itself sort of just tries to stop you/warn you before you go over the lines. I find it useless for everyday driving. I turn all the driving assist modes off in the city of country driving.
Old 09-02-2023, 03:51 PM
Obelix13
Intermediate

I have trouble with the french translator.
It's not the active guidance with the cruise control that bothers me (green steering wheel light),
it's the one that rings and corrects when the white lines are cut. (LKA)
We can deactivate it in the menus but does it come back by default at each restart?

Last edited by Obelix13; 09-02-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:35 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Good morning.
Sincerely
Obe
I had to disable LKA for fear of it jerking me into the median or cars waiting to turn left. Any time there is an opening in the median to turn left, if I'm in the left lane it jerks me to the turn lane. Today there were cars backed up in that turn lane and I realized that I could have easily rear ended one of them at 45 mph. Totally unsafe. This has to lead to a recall. I had to disable it for peace of mind.
Old 09-02-2023, 10:28 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I’ve disabled Active Lane Keep Assist as well. Too many times it has been fooled by multiple white lines where previous roadwork was done and tried to take the car where it doesn’t belong. I have disabled it too. Regular Lane Change Assist is OK.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:20 AM
Obelix13
Intermediate

Can we deactivate it once and for all or do we have to redo it each time we restart?
Old 09-03-2023, 10:33 AM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Can we deactivate it once and for all or do we have to redo it each time we restart?
I turned LKA off (and the car became much more enjoyable). But it turned back on next time I started the car. Then I disabled it again and I don’t think it has come back since. Some of the settings in the 24 seem sporadic when you save changes. Probably a bug.

I agree that Lane Change Assist (blinking LED in side mirrors when someone is next to you) works fine.

Last edited by ambitin; 09-03-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:01 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 344 Posts

Lane Keep Assist seems to be invoked mainly when I fail to signal lane changes which is rare. Thankfully, unlike BMW's, Porsches have standard turn signals.

I've driven thousands of miles using Active Lane Keep since buying the Cayenne last summer. ALK sometimes allows my Cayenne to drift to the right when passing highway exits where there is an interruption in the right side lane light but I just manually steer it when that happens. ALK isn't handsfree steering and one should at least lightly keep their hands on the steering wheel. I do occasionally remove both hands from the steering wheel to stretch, get a drink of water, etc., but I stay poised to intervene. I've noticed that ALK can sometimes function with only a lane line on the left side (or only a centerline on 2-lane roads) as long as there are well defined road edges. While my wife was "screaming" at me last fall, I allowed ALK to steer through a series of very sharp curves on a 2-lane rural road while the Cayenne automatically slowed to compatible speeds. I was amazed it could do that. I was also surprised that ALK could keep the Cayenne centered as we topped and descended steep hills - even when there was a sharp curve just over the hill crest. It's quick to react.

I'm less happy with Lane Change Assist due to the warning lights being on the outboard edges of the exterior mirrors. Some Porsches used to have them in the interiors where I though they were much easier to see. There are threads on rennlist complaining about the LCA warning lights being moved to the exterior mirrors. .
Old 09-04-2023, 08:19 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Pre 2024 the driver assist functions
can be turned on and off in the PCM. Just uncheck the function. It should not default back to on. I believe the 2024 model change were the function is controlled from so someone familiar would have to answer.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:56 AM
Obelix13
Intermediate

Good morning
THANKS.
I have not yet received my cayenne which is blocked.
But on my previous car, the function could be deactivated EXCEPT since an update at the beginning of the year which activated it by default and required you to enter the car's settings EACH time you start it.
It was very unpleasant and I would like to be sure that it is not the same in the Cayenne in order to have it deactivated before delivery.
Thank you all
Obe
Old 09-04-2023, 11:00 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Good morning
THANKS.
I have not yet received my cayenne which is blocked.
But on my previous car, the function could be deactivated EXCEPT since an update at the beginning of the year which activated it by default and required you to enter the car's settings EACH time you start it.
It was very unpleasant and I would like to be sure that it is not the same in the Cayenne in order to have it deactivated before delivery.
Thank you all
Obe
I disabled mine on the PCM screen. 2022 model.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:53 PM
Obelix13
Intermediate

Good morning.
Can anyone check on a 2024 model?
thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist