Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne or X5

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 09:45 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 134 Posts

so I think I can answer this question fairly based on my personal experience. I had 2019 X5 40i (with minimal options, no M anything) then 2022 Cayenne e-hybrid (21" wheels with air susp and very loaded overall) and now I have 2024 X5 40i (refreshed model) fully loaded with all the M stuff and M suspension on 20" wheels. Here's how I would compare my 2024 X5 with my 2022 Cayenne e-hybrid:

- Technology: BMW is miles ahead, from infotainment to drive assist etc.
- Engine: BMW objectively makes better engines. Their current S68 V8, and their updated B58 (which now makes 375hp) are engineering marvels and practically there's no turbo lag whereas I found the Cayenne base engines (and even the V8) laggy in comparison. The reason I went with e-hybrid on my Cayenne was that coming from X5, I couldn't tolerate the initial turbo lag without the "e" torque. Also BMW engines with mild-hybrid return on avg 4-5 mpg more than the comparable Cayenne engine
- Build quality: The Cayenne feels better built. Interior seems more solid when you interact with things like doors, dashboard etc. Although I must say when I drove the 2024 Cayenne, it felt overall more plastici compared to my 2022 Cayenne. Also, with Cayenne, the base cabin with minimal options, feel cheap you have to add many options like leather etc to make it feel as luxurious as X5 in terms of material used in the cabin.
- Handling: X5 without the M suspension is trash and even the base Cayenne is better. X5 with M suspension its reasonably good and while still not as good as the best of what Cayenne can offer, by itself it handles well.

Having said this all, I am now itching to order a 2024 Cayenne as I miss air suspension and acoustic. glass on my X5 but having hard time justify the price difference given how much they have raised the 2024 prices. X5 raised prices too but was able to get 9% discount on it so feels much more reasonable. I am also researching the new Range Rover Sport P400. Hope this helps!

Last edited by mattsrs; 07-25-2023 at 10:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mattsrs:
chassis (07-26-2023), daveo4porsche (07-25-2023), LDT (07-31-2023), Needsdecaf (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 09:59 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Laki021

What I don't understand is why anyone buys Cayenne Hybrid, those buyers are obviously not petrolheads, and in that case X5 is a better car and offers a much better value for money.
Why do you think the hybrid is a worse car than the other cayennes ? Because the hybrid has 5% more weight? What other disadvantages do you find for a petrol head? Is your opinion the same for turbo e-hybrid?

The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:08 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I love my hybrid - 1000-1200 miles between fill ups and days and days and days of driving with no gasoline usage - fill it up in 3 hours or less at home…and it's ready for another 25-30 miles of driving - lifetime MPG is awesome - and when I "need" the ICE it's there and waiting for me so we can drive 400 miles between fill ups…

hybrid is also brilliant at shutting down and running pure electric on downhills and such - and auto-start/stop is zero nuisance because the vehicle is fully functional (AC/powersteering) when the ICE motor is not running

I have a V8 that can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and in normal driving for the last 25k miles I'm getting 30 mpg and don't fill it up more than once every 6 weeks…and in the last 25k miles 11k of those miles (almost 1/2) have been pure electric.

not sure what anyone's objections are for a lux SUV that isn't a track car.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-25-2023 at 10:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
admranger (08-13-2023), chassis (07-26-2023), Needsdecaf (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:45 AM
Laki021
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Why do you think the hybrid is a worse car than the other cayennes ? Because the hybrid has 5% more weight? What other disadvantages do you find for a petrol head? Is your opinion the same for turbo e-hybrid?

Hybrid is 300kg+ heavier than an equivalent ICE model. That's ~15%.
This has a huge impact on driving dynamics, plus I personally really don't like switching between electric motor and ICE, find it irritating and unpredictable. Engine sound is also very underwhelming.
Haven't driven Turbo e-hybrid so cannot comment, but I would expect not much is different other than the extra power and performance. Engine sound is probably also better due to the V8.

If you compare Cayenne GTS to X5 M50i
Cayenne GTS:
-Drives better
-Sounds way better

BMW X5:
-More advanced tech
-Better standard equipment
-Lower price

On the other hand, if you compare Cayenne Hybrid with BMW Hybrid:

Cayenne Hybrid:
?

BMW X5:
-More advanced tech
-Lower price

It's as simple as that, Hybrid kills all the Porsche advantages, so BMW X5 becomes more reasonable choice. I understand that people like the brand, the badge and will still decide to go with Porsche, but that's something different...
Once people writing about driving pleasure start talking about MPG, I stop reading.

chassis (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 12:04 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 724 Posts

I would have ordered a Cayenne hybrid if delivery wasn't so late (postponed to at least Q1, according to the local dealer). I went with the Cayenne S as I think it will be the last V8 they'll make for a "reasonable' price.
chassis (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 02:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Laki021
Hybrid is 300kg+ heavier than an equivalent ICE model. That's ~15%.
This has a huge impact on driving dynamics, plus I personally really don't like switching between electric motor and ICE, find it irritating and unpredictable. Engine sound is also very underwhelming.
Haven't driven Turbo e-hybrid so cannot comment, but I would expect not much is different other than the extra power and performance. Engine sound is probably also better due to the V8.

If you compare Cayenne GTS to X5 M50i
Cayenne GTS:
-Drives better
-Sounds way better

BMW X5:
-More advanced tech
-Lower price

On the other hand, if you compare Cayenne Hybrid with BMW Hybrid:

Cayenne Hybrid:
?

BMW X5:
-More advanced tech
-Lower price

It's as simple as that, Hybrid kills all the Porsche advantages, so BMW X5 becomes more reasonable choice. I understand that people like the brand, the badge and will still decide to go with Porsche, but that's something different...
Once people writing about driving pleasure start talking about MPG, I stop reading.
my Cayenne had no problem being a filming platform for this - I don't think the X5 could've handled it as well - the Hybrid keeps all of Porsche's advantages and add MPG and efficiency and performance as an option…

my 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid was the on track filming mule for this video - the sports car's had a hard time keeping up…
Schnave (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 03:45 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 910 Posts

I think we all agree the X5 is the lesser babka.

If budget doesn’t permit the Cayenne on a spec-for-spec basis, go with the X5. It’s a good vehicle, it’s just the lesser babka.
daveo4porsche (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 05:52 PM
David0413
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I have had 2 X5s and am just about to take delivery of a Cayenne.

If you dont care about handling or rarely if ever do any sporty driving. Go with the X5 hands down. Its a better car for point A to point B.

1. Build quality is very very close
2. X5 has more cargo space
3. X5 on air suspension is just as comfortable if not more so than a Cayenne without air suspension
4. The driver assistant tech is much better on the X5, infotainment is as well but its irrelevant if you mainly use Carplay
5. B58 is far superior to the 3.0 V6 in the base Cayenne and the 75km of electric range would be amazingly useful for day to day
6. You save 10k

The Cayenne is far better in terms of driving feel and handling so if you really value the driving experience then its a no brainer to go with the Cayenne. Otherwise X5 is your best bet
The following 3 users liked this post by David0413:
chassis (07-25-2023), daveo4porsche (07-25-2023), LDT (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 06:50 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by David0413
I have had 2 X5s and am just about to take delivery of a Cayenne.

If you dont care about handling or rarely if ever do any sporty driving. Go with the X5 hands down. Its a better car for point A to point B.

1. Build quality is very very close
2. X5 has more cargo space
3. X5 on air suspension is just as comfortable if not more so than a Cayenne without air suspension
4. The driver assistant tech is much better on the X5, infotainment is as well but its irrelevant if you mainly use Carplay
5. B58 is far superior to the 3.0 V6 in the base Cayenne and the 75km of electric range would be amazingly useful for day to day
6. You save 10k

The Cayenne is far better in terms of driving feel and handling so if you really value the driving experience then its a no brainer to go with the aCayenne. Otherwise X5 is your best bet
Not to repeat myself but I will….Point A to point B is now my primary focus but I gotta say the M60i has some pretty nice driving, handling and sport characteristics. If one does a lot of road trips the Driving Assistance Professional is sweet and the Adaptive M Suspension Pro complements spirited driving. I cross shopped the S but my M60i is a production week 32 (8/7) and I saved $18k. Furthermore order to delivery will be 6 weeks.

Last edited by LDT; 07-25-2023 at 07:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LDT:
blackpearl2015 (07-26-2023), chassis (07-26-2023), daveo4porsche (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 09:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Im curious...what is it that you folks are calling handling? Is it bodyroll? Steering feel? Sharpness of turn in? Its clearly not oversteer/understeer or balance at the limit, right?

Old 07-26-2023, 09:21 AM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Im curious...what is it that you folks are calling handling? Is it bodyroll? Steering feel? Sharpness of turn in? Its clearly not oversteer/understeer or balance at the limit, right?
It's like a fine red wine.........I know what I like but the nomenclature is lost on me. Bottom line for me is that my driving these days is more creature comfort oriented and in a straight line. And I like tech. Back in the day I drove the "dragon" and others including a P dealer sponsored track day at Mid-Ohio. Nowadays the friskiest I get is the WV turnpike on the way from SC to Ohio to see the kids and grands.

Last edited by LDT; 07-26-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:57 AM
David0413
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

For me I usually say driving feel as I think handling is more about objective statistics regarding track driving.

But Im mostly talking about steering feel and bodyroll. X5 doesnt really have much feel, sport modes just feels artificially stiff and heavy but not any more feedback. Body roll is decent on M suspension but theres a ton of it on air.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:02 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Good question, hard to answer definitively.

Insofar as street driving goes, I think the definition of "good handling" is intangible and subjective. But we know it when we experience it.

Probably a combination of all the stuff you mentioned, plus stability in various conditions, power application in various conditions, and more. I think it might be the directness and predictability with which the car takes our physical inputs and converts them into the desired responses on the road. Where the car disappears around you and it's just you and the road.

Victory911 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 05:41 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

For me it's the confidence a car gives me as I push closer to the edge of cornering limits and linear feedback.

Some might just measure it as the ability to take a given corner at the fastest speed (or max g-force) but I prefer confidence and predictability as well. I lack the experience and skill to handle a wild unpredictable ride or recover once I'm past the limits.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:16 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Then again, maybe great handling should be defined as the cars ability to attract potential future ex-wives (or ex-husbands).

Quick Reply: Cayenne or X5