Sponsored By:

Does your Cayenne have a Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 04:04 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Does your Cayenne have a Vibration

As I reported previously about 6 months ago...my Cayenne has a drive train Vibration (most noticeable) when downshifting to 2nd gear at about 50mph. The vibration can be felt and heard between 4-6000 rpms. Putting the car in manual shift mode & 2nd gear...rev to 6,000, let off the throttle...is another way to test. My question is-do other Cayennes have this vibration. Can you test your 9YO 2019-2023 and report back? So far there are two of us with a 2023 GTS with this issue. Porsche Tech Support claims it's normal and my Dealer confirmed that one other Cayenne made a similar noise. I don't blame Porsche for their position since it's a very expensive item and it isn't broken...yet.
My car started out with a faint rubbing noise that has steadily become louder and is now more like a wha wha sound but I can also faintly feel the Vibration. I've made numerous video's but the exhaust and engine noise seem to override the noise. On my TV it is more apparent and in actual driving unmistakable.
My theory is that it's coming from the Transfer Case-newly designed for the 9YO as a "hang on transfer case" attached to the transmission. I love my GTS but this and numerous other issues don't make it a keeper. I might feel better about keeping it if this is truly normal for a Cayenne. AFAIK all Cayenne models should have the same transmission & transfer case.

I was on a curvy road so excuse the poor camera angle at times. My phone and iPad don't isolate the sound very well so this video is probably worthless.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gpjgvr5mec8EbhKV8
Old 07-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Turrrbo
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have slight vibration coming from the drive shaft when i down shift at high rpm. Not very bad, but i was wondering if it is normal or should be fixed
Old 07-06-2023, 06:14 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Originally Posted by Turrrbo
I have slight vibration coming from the drive shaft when i down shift at high rpm. Not very bad, but i was wondering if it is normal or should be fixed
What are you driving? One way to test is to see if it's also present in 1st gear at the same rpm. If so that eliminates the driveline & rear end. On my car it feels like decelerating puts a bind on the transfer case gears where it attaches to the transmission....just a hunch. IMO, when accelerating or in normal driving there is nothing happening. It could also be something in the transmission output shaft/gears/bearings but they spin at different rates at the same rpm in different gears. It bothers me because I've had numerous All Wheel Drive vehicles with a similar setup and have never experienced anything similar. Vibrations tend to result in a bad outcome over time.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:28 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,047 Posts

@Ron.s it would be helpful to all if the vibration discussion was contained in your first, longer, thread so the history can be reviewed by others. Agree?
Old 07-07-2023, 09:04 AM
Ron.s
Pro

Originally Posted by chassis
@Ron.s it would be helpful to all if the vibration discussion was contained in your first, longer, thread so the history can be reviewed by others. Agree?
Not really but neither thread seems to be generating much testing or feedback by members.

The previous thread died with only one new member reporting a similar vibration. What I’m after is feedback…is this normal as reported by the Porsche support team? Is it a 2023 only issue or present in prior years...V8 or all Cayennes?
I revived the old thread (that died without answers) because the only member reporting a similar problem can’t receive Private messages. I’m hoping that this new thread will find a few willing members to actually try to replicate the issue and report.
Considering my options and the last thing want to do is get rid of my car and replace it with one with the same issue. My Vehicles time at the Dealer for repairs now meets my States Lemon Law so I’m considering starting that process.

Quick Reply: Does your Cayenne have a Vibration