Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Lithium battery failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 01:50 AM
Sunsation
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default AGM batteries cheaper???

Has anyone checked the replacement cost for a Cayenne AGM battery? It’’s gotta be cheaper than the lithium battery—even considering any high-faluting installed electronic controls on the AGM battery…..

Old 07-12-2023, 08:13 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunsation
Has anyone checked the replacement cost for a Cayenne AGM battery? It’’s gotta be cheaper than the lithium battery—even considering any high-faluting installed electronic controls on the AGM battery…..
AGM is not interchangeable with a vehicle built with an LiFePO4 battery. It would be nice if that was the case, but sadly it is not the case.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Sunsation
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default AGM batteries cheaper?

I’m confused; the Cayennes that came with AGM batteries from the factory during the Lithium battery shortage—what would be different about the car with the AGM versus the Lithium battery? I know the AGM batteries had an electronic dohickey added to them that the lithium batteries did not have.

If you bought the electronic dohickey from Porsche and added it to a capacity compatible Autozone AGM battery—why wouldn’t it work fine?

I must be missing something/publicly displaying my massive electrical ignorance here big time….
Old 07-12-2023, 12:17 PM
George718
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been researching this for quite a while and it should work....and would be a much more affordable option.
Old 07-12-2023, 01:57 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi everyone ,

You'll need to do what I did and raise holy hell with Porsche NA execs.... I suggest e-mailing these 3 people ( below) , with your entire experience that has transpired with the battery situation, include all service receipts pertaining to the battery, your VIN #, so they can see your vehicle history and if you've been an OCD vehicle maintainer, etc etc , Then in your own words ( I am paraphrasing here) ..... " can't believe this he happening at this price point, these batteries shouldn't have gone bad this soon, blah blah blah blah .. I expected better from this brand .. blahblah blah blah .. $3000_ for a LG battery that costs $50 bucks to manufacture in Korea... I've lost faith in the brand ...... Why should I purchase another Porsche ? ...... "

<simon.kuhnimhof@porsche.us>; ) <margareta.mahlstedt@porsche.us>; <kjell.gruner@porsche.us>\

Old 07-12-2023, 02:02 PM
George718
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
Hi everyone ,

You'll need to do what I did and raise holy hell with Porsche NA execs.... I suggest e-mailing these 3 people ( below) , with your entire experience that has transpired with the battery situation, include all service receipts pertaining to the battery, your VIN #, so they can see your vehicle history and if you've been an OCD vehicle maintainer, etc etc , Then in your own words ( I am paraphrasing here) ..... " can't believe this he happening at this price point, these batteries shouldn't have gone bad this soon, blah blah blah blah .. I expected better from this brand .. blahblah blah blah .. $3000_ for a LG battery that costs $50 bucks to manufacture in Korea... I've lost faith in the brand ...... Why should I purchase another Porsche ? ...... "

<simon.kuhnimhof@porsche.us>; ) <margareta.mahlstedt@porsche.us>; <kjell.gruner@porsche.us>\
Thanks for the tip...I will be doing that next! I just got off the phone with Levi who covers my region for Porsche NA and to make matters worse he now tells me that even if I was in the 4 year warranty period the battery wouldn't be covered. I questioned him as that didn't seem right....but he insisted it was a fact the case......well, when I got off the phone with him I confirmed that the battery is indeed covered as long as you drive a certain amount of miles per year which I do.
I'm disguisted!
The following users liked this post:
cwazyeurodrivr (07-20-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 02:20 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by George718
Thanks for the tip...I will be doing that next! I just got off the phone with Levi who covers my region for Porsche NA and to make matters worse he now tells me that even if I was in the 4 year warranty period the battery wouldn't be covered. I questioned him as that didn't seem right....but he insisted it was a fact the case......well, when I got off the phone with him I confirmed that the battery is indeed covered as long as you drive a certain amount of miles per year which I do.
I'm disguisted!
I think they say that if you don't drive 40km/day (25 miles/day) on a regular basis you should use a battery maintainer to keep the battery up. I usually plug mine in a few times a month during the winter when I tend to drive fewer kms. So far, after 2 years, no problems, but who knows when it will need replacement??
chassis (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 02:52 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunsation
I’m confused; the Cayennes that came with AGM batteries from the factory during the Lithium battery shortage—what would be different about the car with the AGM versus the Lithium battery? I know the AGM batteries had an electronic dohickey added to them that the lithium batteries did not have.

If you bought the electronic dohickey from Porsche and added it to a capacity compatible Autozone AGM battery—why wouldn’t it work fine?

I must be missing something/publicly displaying my massive electrical ignorance here big time….
Porsche did a midstream temporary change to AGM during the shortage. Member @LSR posted this a while back.

@LSR would you be able to share your service invoice, or details about your knowledge from discussions with your dealer service department about installing AGMs in a vehicle built with a LiFePO4 battery? If you have a parts list, and can share it, this would be invaluable to the members here.

Without the details, one can only guess that a harness/cable, possible electronic module and coding are required to refit a vehicle built with a LiFePO4 battery to AGM.

Bottom line: Porsche has a solution to convert to AGM from LiFePO4. No one so far knows how to unlock this solution via Porsche USA or a dealer service department.

Last edited by chassis; 07-12-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:24 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LDT
Curious to know…have you put it on a lithium compatible charger overnight?
Yes. I have CTEK 12v Lithium.
Old 07-14-2023, 02:44 PM
George718
Instructor

Hi everyone ,

Just heard back from the exec assistant to Porsche CEO. They reviewed my case and said they weren't able to do anything at this time. Ridiculous

One good thing came of it I got person I was dealing with at Porsche into hot water because of how he handled the whole thing and giving me misinformation a few times. . In the end all she could say is that they were very sorry
Shame on Porsche
socal_soliloquy (07-26-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 06:35 PM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like Porsche doesn't care much about customer satisfaction.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:24 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

It shouldn't matter how many times a day it is used. Thats complete BS.

I've put on 47K miles in 18 months , the 5 batteries my 2020 Cayenne turbo had to have was withint the factory Warranty, the replaced all of them free of charge, I also made them note the CPO Warranty that if this happens during the CPO period which i just started, that It is also covered under the CPO. So whoever you are talking too clearly doesn't know what the hell they are saying. Email those folks I provided you all. This is complete BS !

Now my PSCBs are squealing again at all speeds , and they don't know what to do. This is going to make me want to leave the brand ... OYE !

chassis (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 09:51 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Porsche did a midstream temporary change to AGM during the shortage. Member @LSR posted this a while back. @LSR would you be able to share your service invoice, or details about your knowledge from discussions with your dealer service department about installing AGMs in a vehicle built with a LiFePO4 battery? If you have a parts list, and can share it, this would be invaluable to the members here. ...
All I know is what I previously posted. My 2022 base Cayenne (November 2022 build) has an AGM battery. When I get a chance, I'll take a photo of it to identify the Porsche part number. I don't know if it's got any special circuitry inside or adapter circuitry outside. I was told by my SA that it's possible to change the lithium battery to an AGM after delivery, and 992 owners have done it. Whether any of this is true, I do not know. But I'll pop into my dealer to try to get more info.

This much is certain, though: a lithium battery is not required in the car. My 2022 base proves this. The only issue is whether an AGM battery can be swapped in after delivery. Swapping likely would require different programming and/or different circuitry, and then the question becomes: is whatever is needed for conversion available from Porsche and if so at what cost? I'll try to find out more about all of this from my dealer.
The following 3 users liked this post by LSR:
chassis (07-22-2023), dalves11 (08-10-2023), Palantir (08-10-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 10:19 AM
George718
Instructor

It shouldn't matter how many times a day it is used. Thats complete BS.

I've put on 47K miles in 18 months , the 5 batteries my 2020 Cayenne turbo had to have was withint the factory Warranty, the replaced all of them free of charge, I also made them note the CPO Warranty that if this happens during the CPO period which i just started, that It is also covered under the CPO. So whoever you are talking too clearly doesn't know what the hell they are saying. Email those folks I provided you all. This is complete BS !

Now my PSCBs are squealing again at all speeds , and they don't know what to do. This is going to make me want to leave the brand ... OYE !
I emailed everyone but no dice....2 of the contacts left the company as well as the CEO.
chassis (07-21-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 12:25 AM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 63 Posts

I wonder if it would be wise to tell the dealer while you're under warranty that you've seeen the battery warning come up so they do the software update before there's an actual problem?

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Lithium battery failure