Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2024 Cayenne build, seeking advice from the experts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 07:15 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammersam
PTV, I don't know all the abbreviations?
Porsche Torque Vectoring. That likely still doesn’t help…I know it didn’t help me until I researched it 😂. Intelligent braking of the rear wheels (independently) to improve cornering ability. It’s a cool feature on a sports car, but I won’t be pushing this Cayenne to the edge of handling.
The following users liked this post:
bearcat2000 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 07:18 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
And keep in mind that most newish radar detectors are 360*. The fancy glass only allows microwaves to penetrate through a couple of small spaces on the windshield, eliminating the 360 feature.
Isn't that (microwave impenetrable) only true of the front glass?
Old 04-26-2023, 07:38 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Thanks! I hear you on the 14 way vs 18. Each Porsche is different and seat time is the only way to know for sure. In all previous 911s, I’m an 18 way / sport seat guy every time. The other options never fit right in the shoulder for me. In the Cayenne I prefer the 14 way for overall comfort fit. I also like the forward adjusting headrest. No doubt the 18 way look better.

I’m hoping there is the sport lite option as well with front and side body paint. I’ll know on Monday when I spec it with the dealer.

I can confirm the Coupe has a shade to cover the fixed sunroof.
I agree about the 18 way seats, at least in a former Macan (Wife's). We both disliked the seats enough to trade the car. Miss it.

She's 105 lbs. and the bottom bolsters were too tight at the front of the thighs. It was bad for me too, 235. The rest of the support, upper and lower, was wonderful.

I haven't spent any real time in a Cayenne 18 way, but my short sit time gave me the same, restricted feeling on my lower legs. It interfered with my foot placement on the pedals.

I also vote for the Burmester and acoustic glass. Plenty of exhaust note to go around!

And rear steer. It completes the "nimbleness" package.
Jeff Jones (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 08:49 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
Isn't that (microwave impenetrable) only true of the front glass?
No. All of the glass is multi wavelength blocking except for two (maybe three) patches on the windshield. My wife has it on her GLE450 and you can see the open areas by shining a flashlight at the windshield at an angle. I’d be surprised if Porsche technology is different in this case.
The following 2 users liked this post by Electric Lizard:
chassis (04-26-2023), Jeff Jones (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 08:56 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I won’t run a radar detector on this car. If I went that route, it would be a custom install outside the vehicle with laser jamming anyway. That’s the only way I feel truly protected.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:20 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

No. All of the glass is multi wavelength blocking except for two (maybe three) patches on the windshield. My wife has it on her GLE450 and you can see the open areas by shining a flashlight at the windshield at an angle. I’d be surprised if Porsche technology is different in this case.
I also have the Mercedes fancy windshield, and those areas do exist on the windshield. Hard to see.

None of the other glass is microwave resistant, only the windshield. Maybe they're all UV / IR resistant but not MW.

I 'gaurantee' that's the case, because I placed my radar detector too far left of the opening, and I only got warnings as I passed the source and left it behind.

I.e my rear detection was unhampered, but the front was blocked. That's what the sales literature claims as well.

I don't know how the two brands compare there.

Last edited by Searcher356; 04-26-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Electric Lizard (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 11:13 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Searcher356
I also have the Mercedes fancy windshield, and those areas do exist on the windshield. Hard to see.

None of the other glass is microwave resistant, only the windshield. Maybe they're all UV / IR resistant but not MW.

I 'gaurantee' that's the case, because I placed my radar detector too far left of the opening, and I only got warnings as I passed the source and left it behind.

I.e my rear detection was unhampered, but the front was blocked. That's what the sales literature claims as well.

I don't know how the two brands compare there.
Interesting. Looking at the configurator closely, I see that the option is shown as “(front)”. Why not all around?
saryberg (11-05-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 02:39 AM
Searcher356
Instructor

Interesting. Looking at the configurator closely, I see that the option is shown as “(front)”. Why not all around?
Good question.

Maybe it's prohibitively expensive.
My windshield cost $2,500 to replace, and a previous non fancy one was $1,600.
There are a lot of pieces of glass!
Old 04-27-2023, 02:45 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I see two options. Front only, and front and rear.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:05 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

I see two options. Front only, and front and rear.
Indeed, I missed that. Maybe this explains the question of 360* radar detector performance.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:12 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

New info from my SA.

He is saying Surround View with Parking Support is currently a build delay. He also said normal Surround View is standard and not a delay. I don’t care about Parking Support so this isn’t a problem for me.

He also said that the Passenger Display is currently a build delay for this round of allocations. I went from not wanting this feature, to being on the fence and now that I can’t have it, I want it 🤪

I will likely go forward without the passenger display and then stare at that blank stretch of dash with regret for years to come.

TikiLou (04-29-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 07:46 PM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

New info from my SA.

He is saying Surround View with Parking Support is currently a build delay. He also said normal Surround View is standard and not a delay. I don’t care about Parking Support so this isn’t a problem for me.

I tried looking everywhere in the Porsche website, and I can't find any info stating that the Surround View comes standard on the new Cayenne. I can only find that ParkAssist and LKA are now standard on the new Cayenne.

The following 2 users liked this post by E'TLS:
donsladek (04-28-2023), TikiLou (04-29-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 11:35 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E'TLS
I tried looking everywhere in the Porsche website, and I can't find any info stating that the Surround View comes standard on the new Cayenne. I can only find that ParkAssist and LKA are now standard on the new Cayenne.
He could be wrong and I’ve had a hard time getting the full list of standard features. For my S Coupe build, when I scroll down and click on the standard feature, I see this:

To me, that implies it is only the front sensors and reverse camera but he confirmed surround view. It isn’t a deal breaker for me either way, but I certainly prefer the drone mode if possible.

I’ve also decided to abandon black/chalk and go all black. If it won’t delay my build, I’ll likely swallow the $4k pill and add deviated stitching in guards red. It hurts now but will spice up the interior a little and I’ll forget the sting of the expense down the road.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
chassis (04-29-2023), donsladek (04-28-2023), E'TLS (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 05:36 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 201 Posts

He also said that the Passenger Display is currently a build delay for this round of allocations. I went from not wanting this feature, to being on the fence and now that I can’t have it, I want it 🤪

I will likely go forward without the passenger display and then stare at that blank stretch of dash with regret for years to come.
I thought about this, too, but given the generally dodgy nature of internet service in these cars, I can't imagine any video streaming working very well, and to me that was the most appealing aspect (for passengers on longer drives).

Old 04-29-2023, 08:32 AM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 454 Posts

With all these delays We may get a well optioned car by the time they discontinue the Gas Cayenne!
The following 2 users liked this post by Shuga:
Jeff Jones (04-29-2023), TUD (04-29-2023)

Quick Reply: 2024 Cayenne build, seeking advice from the experts.