Sponsored By:

New suspension changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 10:03 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts
Default New suspension changes

Reading through the marketing materials it appears the 2024 air suspension is a 2 chamber shock while the current model is 3. I think the previous 958 model was 2 chamber. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. It’s curious as to the change. One of the huge improvements of the current GTS is the ride. Our the last 3 months we drove through so many different weather conditions and road surfaces which the GTS handled flawlessly. Spending several days averaging over 500 mile per day shows really how good this suspension is.
The following users liked this post:
bearcat2000 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Reading through the marketing materials it appears the 2024 air suspension is a 2 chamber shock while the current model is 3. I think the previous 958 model was 2 chamber. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. It’s curious as to the change. One of the huge improvements of the current GTS is the ride. Our the last 3 months we drove through so many different weather conditions and road surfaces which the GTS handled flawlessly. Spending several days averaging over 500 mile per day shows really how good this suspension is.
Read through some of the press releases, and also look at the Car and Driver article posted a few months ago for more info. At first I was curious to that as well, but it seems like the outgoing system was a three chamber, one valve system. The new system has 2 chambers but separate valves for compression and rebound settings. Supposedly it allows a broader range of settings (i.e. more comfort but also more sport) and also finer control of those settings.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

Originally Posted by CarAndDriver
Indeed, the prototypes stuck like Velcro yet largely filtered out the worst textures that the coarse and tortured asphalt of the tightest Malibu canyons had to offer.

Partial credit goes one rung higher, as now even the base model comes standard with PASM adaptive dampers. Air-sprung Cayennes take it up another notch, with rethought springs that feature two chambers instead of three. This seeming deficit actually amounts to a step forward because the PASM dampers now have distinct rebound and compression adjustment valves, as opposed to the current single valve that attempts to regulate both. The result is much finer control and the ability to better optimize damping characteristics in response to given circumstances and the driver's mode selection.
And from the press release:

Originally Posted by Porsche

Increased range between ride comfort and performance

The 2024 Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne E-Hybrid models come standard with a steel spring suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM). New shock absorbers with two-valve technology, with separate rebound and compression stages, allows optimized performance in all driving situations. In particular, comfort at slow speeds, handling during dynamic cornering, and pitch and roll management have noticeably improved. The driving experience can be additionally enhanced using the new optional adaptive air suspension (standard on Cayenne Turbo GT) with two-chamber, two-valve technology. This improves the driving experience with compliant suspension characteristics, and stabilizes the vehicle for on-road and off-road handling – compared to both the standard suspension and the predecessor model. At the same time, the optional adaptive air suspension improves driving precision and performance, and reduces body movements in dynamic driving situations. The suspension also offers an even sharper differentiation between Normal, Sport and Sport Plus driving modes.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 04-19-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Ron.s (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 11:15 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Needsdecaf i remember now reading about 2 valves but didn’t pickup that’s in all the shocks. I suspect the 2 chamber air system is less expensive and complex. So now normal will likely be a “comfort” setting to better handle the crappy city streets. With the 958 the only time I used normal was on city streets. Outside the urban areas was sport. With the current one it’s normal most of the time and sport on the interstate especially with wind. I like the firmer ride of the current GTS but Porsche must have had feedback it was too firm for many in normal mode.

Also Porsche seems to be pushing the off-road abilities more with the new model than they did with the 958 even though the majority won’t even see a gravel road.

Last edited by rdboxster; 04-19-2023 at 11:19 AM.
chassis (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 11:45 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Needsdecaf i remember now reading about 2 valves but didn’t pickup that’s in all the shocks. I suspect the 2 chamber air system is less expensive and complex. So now normal will likely be a “comfort” setting to better handle the crappy city streets. With the 958 the only time I used normal was on city streets. Outside the urban areas was sport. With the current one it’s normal most of the time and sport on the interstate especially with wind. I like the firmer ride of the current GTS but Porsche must have had feedback it was too firm for many in normal mode.

Also Porsche seems to be pushing the off-road abilities more with the new model than they did with the 958 even though the majority won’t even see a gravel road.
I'm not getting those conclusions.

The two chamber system is likely more expensive, as it is also using two valves in addition to the two way shocks. And normal is still going to be normal. It's not a shift, it's a widening. So comfort will be more comfort oriented and sports plus will be more sports oriented.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:09 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Agree on cost: marketing aside, the 2 chamber system is most likely cheaper than the 3 chamber system. The 2 chamber system has less resolution or controllability than a 3 chamber system. Porsche is cutting costs here.

Disagree on off-roading: the 9Y0 tcase is a sedan style unit like MB 4MATIC used on S, E, C and GLC vehicles. It is not a chain type tcase like on 958 and MB GLE/GLS or G-Wagen. There is no low range tcase option in the 9Y0. In this sense the 9Y0 PTM is a lesser system than the GLE/GLS 4MATIC. The question as to whether this matters in the wild is a topic unto itself. I have no concerns taking the 9Y0 up steep, rutted, rocky trailhead roads in Colorado for example.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:18 PM
gloryrd
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

While I don't doubt Porsche's marketing claims, it seems that there was a tradeoff in some areas. Max air ground clearance is stated as being reduced by 0.3 inches. Turning radius has increased by just a bit, at least w/o RAS. It will be interesting to see driving reviews.
The following 2 users liked this post by gloryrd:
chassis (04-19-2023), rajatparihar (04-20-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:20 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by gloryrd
While I don't doubt Porsche's marketing claims, it seems that there was a tradeoff in some areas. Max air ground clearance is stated as being reduced by 0.3 inches. Turning radius has increased by just a bit, at least w/o RAS. It will be interesting to see driving reviews.
Not to mention the new models are slightly taller overall with the slightly larger tires that will be a bit heavier but yield a more plush experience than the lower profile ones used today. Lots of little tweaks made, seeing how they all add up will be very interesting.
chassis (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 01:21 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

I am not knocked off my chair by the 9Y0.2 facelift.

The headlamps and front fascia, and V8 in the S are the only changes I like. The rest seem like cost cutting or going backwards in various ways. New exterior colors and wheels are not needle-movers for me.

A 2023 9Y0.1 GTS fully loaded with options will be the CPO unit to have in a few years.

Last edited by chassis; 04-19-2023 at 01:22 PM.
LDT (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
The 2 chamber system has less resolution or controllability than a 3 chamber system. Porsche is cutting costs here.
e.
Porsche specifically stated that the 3 chamber system has one valve, while the 2 chamber system has two.

I have no idea if overall that's cheaper, but they specifically said that the ability to control compression and rebound separately results in more resolution and controlability, not less. Certainly this is the case in shocks of all types as well.
chassis (04-19-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 12:14 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Porsche specifically stated that the 3 chamber system has one valve, while the 2 chamber system has two.

I have no idea if overall that's cheaper, but they specifically said that the ability to control compression and rebound separately results in more resolution and controlability, not less. Certainly this is the case in shocks of all types as well.
I’m just reading the marketing material which says the setup allows greater combination of comfort and sportiness. From the announcement: The suspension also offers an even sharper differentiation between Normal, Sport and Sport Plus driving modes. Maybe sport and sport + are tighter but I think normal a little softer but not in a bad way. Until there is more specific info it’s all speculation. One thing for sure Porsche knows suspensions. It all comes together with air, pdcc and rws.

so now I wonder if they are fixing a problem with the 3 chamber or just tweaking to the next level. The 3 chamber air shock didn’t last very long.

Last edited by rdboxster; 04-20-2023 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:57 AM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

I’m just reading the marketing material which says the setup allows greater combination of comfort and sportiness. From the announcement: The suspension also offers an even sharper differentiation between Normal, Sport and Sport Plus driving modes. Maybe sport and sport + are tighter but I think normal a little softer but not in a bad way. Until there is more specific info it’s all speculation. One thing for sure Porsche knows suspensions. It all comes together with air, pdcc and rws.

so now I wonder if they are fixing a problem with the 3 chamber or just tweaking to the next level. The 3 chamber air shock didn’t last very long.
didnt last long production wise or reliability?
Old 04-20-2023, 01:40 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgx1020
The 3 chamber air suspension was introduced with the 9Y0. They also introduced 4D chassis control on the 9Y0.1. Prior I believe the 958 was a 2 chamber air shock.
chassis (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 09:29 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgx1020
Production wise.

The 3 chamber air suspension was introduced with the 9Y0. They also introduced 4D chassis control on the 9Y0.1. Prior I believe the 958 was a 2 chamber air shock.
Believe it debuted in the Panamera prior to the Cayenne.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:50 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Believe it debuted in the Panamera prior to the Cayenne.[/QUOTE]. Agree
Old 04-25-2023, 11:33 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Posting here under the proper thread.

Are there any 9Y0.2 2-chamber images or descriptions like the ones below?

The first image is from Vibracoustic, supplier of the air springs. The next images are from Porsche's 9Y0 launch tech workshop presentations.

https://www.vibracoustic.com/en/prod...r-air-springs/

Quick Reply: New suspension changes