Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2021 GTS 58k air oil separator failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 09:44 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I looked at the oil vapor separator on my S tonight. Fairly tricky setup. It seems to also incorporate the canister purge line. The separator feeds the intake system both upstream and downstream of the turbo.

Two principal failure modes:
- unmetered air into the intake resulting in CEL and misfire - reported in this thread
- plug or clog resulting in excess crankcase pressure, collateral damage is a failed rear main crankshaft oil seal - reported on mbworld by owners of M17x 4.0L TT V8 owners

In my view replacement of the entire PCV system after warranty expires is a prudent step, to avoid the two principal failures, and to minimize intake valve deposits to the extent possible.

Posting for further understanding:

https://www.underhoodservice.com/tur...-system/Modern turbocharged engines have large oil separators typically incorporated into the valve cover or on the side of the engine block. The crankcase pressure is not managed by a simple check valve. Pressures are monitored electronically or mechanically at both the crankcase and intake. The system directs the vapors to either before the turbo or intake manifold when the time is right.

These next-generation PCV systems can fail because they are exposed to high temperatures and combustion gases that can damage plastic, flexible diaphragms, and seals.

If the system starts to leak, it can allow unmetered air to enter the intake. This can cause misfires and lean codes. In some cases, the pressure generated from the turbocharger can find its way into the crankcase if the system has failed. This extra pressure can cause oil leaks. If the pressure is great enough, it can even restrict flow coming from the turbocharger oil return line, thereby shortening the life of the bearings.

Last edited by chassis; 04-13-2023 at 10:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:21 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

In my case, it was under warranty. I remember that the SA suggested that it be replaced every 60K.
My vehicle gets driven primarily on the highway, and I do tend to exceed the speed limit.
chassis (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:52 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 183 Posts

Looks like ~$200 per can and ~ $100 per each line. So ~ $800 total for the parts....

I guess doing it once in the life of the car isn't too bad.
chassis (04-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS 58k air oil separator failure