Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tethered or Untethered EV charger for E hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 08:44 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Tethered or Untethered EV charger for E hybrid?

Folks, I have been using the supplied granny cable to charge my e hybrid. It takes 12hrs to charge completely from a normal UK socket which was ok so far. But now I am thinking to invest on a home charger.

my doubt is do we need to use the supplied porsche mobile connect along with the home EV charger in series or do we need to use the type 2 cable directly from ev charger to the car and get rid of the mobile connect completely?

Old 03-31-2023, 08:50 AM
Ray Tom
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a juice box 40. Works perfectly. Never used the Porsche charger. I keep it for travel if I want to charge.
The following users liked this post:
rajatparihar (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:53 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Either works. I have a 240 V NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage. When I had a Tesla, I used the included mobile charger (which was WAY smaller than this Porsche unit) and now I have the PMCC plugged into it. Gives me plenty of power.

that unit isn’t fantastic, so you could invest in a hardwired EVSE from Clipper Creek, Juicebox, or even Tesla. Or any of a bunch of other manufacturers. But you don’t have to. State Of Charge YouTube channel has some excellent EVSE reviews but not sure if all those products available outside US.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-31-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:14 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Either works. I have a 240 V NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage. When I had a Tesla, I used the included mobile charger (which was WAY smaller than this Porsche unit) and now I have the PMCC plugged into it. Gives me plenty of power.

that unit isn’t fantastic, so you could invest in a hardwired EVSE from Clipper Creek, Juicebox, or even Tesla. Or any of a bunch of other manufacturers. But you don’t have to. State Of Charge YouTube channel has some excellent EVSE reviews but not sure if all those products available outside US.
All the manufacturers that you mentioned above I haven't heard in this Irish market. But I think I might go with tethered chargers that comes with typ2 cable in built and ditch the Porsche mobile connect capsule completely. By the way I have the lower version of this unit as my car comes with 3.6kw onboard charger.
Needsdecaf (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 10:17 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
F

my doubt is do we need to use the supplied porsche mobile connect along with the home EV charger in series or do we need to use the type 2 cable directly from ev charger to the car and get rid of the mobile connect completely?
Re-read your question.

You would not use the PMCC "in series" with anything. The PMCC included with your car is capable of higher line voltage than you are currently using. What you would need to do is, as I noted above in my setup, install a higher voltage (220/240 depending on your setup, I'm not familiar with your electrical specs) outlet and then switch out the plug on the head of the PMCC. In the US, we get a NEMA 14-50 for a 50 Amp circuit, and a NEMA 5-15 for a 15 amp circuit. They just snap on and off the top of the PMCC. So you could go that route.

If you choose to go with a third party EVSE, you can either do one that plugs in, or a hardwired, and you would pack away the PMCC completely.

hope this clears things up.

One other thing to add: The actual "charger" is not what you see on the wall. The actual charger is in the vehicle, as you note "3.6 kW onboard charger". What you have on the wall is called an EVSE, or Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. Basically, it's a smart extension cord that allows the car to understand what kind of power it's getting and control switching that power on and off.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-31-2023 at 10:21 AM.
rajatparihar (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 10:22 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Re-read your question.

You would not use the PMCC "in series" with anything. The PMCC included with your car is capable of higher line voltage than you are currently using. What you would need to do is, as I noted above in my setup, install a higher voltage (220/240 depending on your setup, I'm not familiar with your electrical specs) outlet and then switch out the plug on the head of the PMCC. In the US, we get a NEMA 14-50 for a 50 Amp circuit, and a NEMA 5-15 for a 15 amp circuit. They just snap on and off the top of the PMCC. So you could go that route.

If you choose to go with a third party EVSE, you can either do one that plugs in, or a hardwired, and you would pack away the PMCC completely.

hope this clears things up.
Got it, there is this question that every EV charger installers are asking me if I need a tethered one or a non tethered and a difference between them is the formar has a type2 cable in built that goes straight to the car and the later needs a cable to be buy extra (something like PMCC).
Old 03-31-2023, 10:48 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray Tom
I have a juice box 40. Works perfectly. Never used the Porsche charger. I keep it for travel if I want to charge.
Thanks, this is what I am thinking to do. I am going with Zappi 7 KW v3 EV charger (tethered).
Old 03-31-2023, 12:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, this is what I am thinking to do. I am going with Zappi 7 KW v3 EV charger (tethered).
I'm confused by the terminology tethered vs. untethered. But if I'm understing correctly, tethered refers to an EVSE that's directly wired into the mains, whereas untethered plugs into an outlet? So:

Tethered:

https://store.clippercreek.com/featu...arging-station

Untethered:

https://store.clippercreek.com/featu...ger-nema-14-50

Same unit. Just one wires up directly, the other plugs into an outlet.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:06 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

I'm confused by the terminology tethered vs. untethered. But if I'm understing correctly, tethered refers to an EVSE that's directly wired into the mains, whereas untethered plugs into an outlet? So:

Tethered:

https://store.clippercreek.com/featu...arging-station

Untethered:

https://store.clippercreek.com/featu...ger-nema-14-50

Same unit. Just one wires up directly, the other plugs into an outlet.
No, the tethered comes with a type 2 cable that can't be removed from the EVSE and it goes directly into your car. However untethered doesn't come with any wire so you need to use your PCC supplied type 2 cable that connects to EVSE and then to the car.

https://www.boxt.co.uk/electric-car-...-which-is-best
Old 03-31-2023, 10:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, the tethered comes with a type 2 cable that can't be removed from the EVSE and it goes directly into your car. However untethered doesn't come with any wire so you need to use your PCC supplied type 2 cable that connects to EVSE and then to the car.

https://www.boxt.co.uk/electric-car-...-which-is-best
Got it. I think for the most part, we don’t do that in the US. You either have an outlet to plug in your mobile EVSE, or the charging station has its own cord.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (04-01-2023), Ray Tom (03-31-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 08:35 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Got it. I think for the most part, we don’t do that in the US. You either have an outlet to plug in your mobile EVSE, or the charging station has its own cord.
Interesting, one of the installation company visited my home for a survey and after seeing the Porsche mobile charger they mentioned to me that I don't require any other EV charger, this could be used with a supplied blue cable (type 2), they are starting to work on the outlet and load balancer at my home and I think I am going to use this mobile charger as the charger. I just don't like the myPorsche app charging functionality specially the scheduling option. We can't set the start time on the app, it just ask us when should we want the car be ready. This doesn't fall under my use case as we have ultra cheap electricity prices between 2am and 5am.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting, one of the installation company visited my home for a survey and after seeing the Porsche mobile charger they mentioned to me that I don't require any other EV charger, this could be used with a supplied blue cable (type 2), they are starting to work on the outlet and load balancer at my home and I think I am going to use this mobile charger as the charger. I just don't like the myPorsche app charging functionality specially the scheduling option. We can't set the start time on the app, it just ask us when should we want the car be ready. This doesn't fall under my use case as we have ultra cheap electricity prices between 2am and 5am.
I mean, it's not the best option in the world, but it works. The good news is that the Cayenne battery is small. Which charger do you have in your car, the 3.6 or 7.2 kW? For the larger charger, an "empty" battery will take about 2.5 hours to charge, with the smaller charger double that. So work backwards, and tell the car you want the departure to be at 5am.

I'm glad I don't have TOU pricing here.
rajatparihar (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:34 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

I mean, it's not the best option in the world, but it works. The good news is that the Cayenne battery is small. Which charger do you have in your car, the 3.6 or 7.2 kW? For the larger charger, an "empty" battery will take about 2.5 hours to charge, with the smaller charger double that. So work backwards, and tell the car you want the departure to be at 5am.

I'm glad I don't have TOU pricing here.
I have 3.6KW onboard, yea thats a good plan, I am going to set departure time on the app as something that best suited for my electricity tariff plan.

Quick Reply: Tethered or Untethered EV charger for E hybrid?