Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

OEM Tow Package brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 11:05 PM
AlpineFD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so in order to activate the trailer brake, an aftermarket brake controller is still required, got it.

which make me wonder this big controller unit that gets retrofitted as the tow package, what does it do?

has anyone have experience with LED trailer lights? any issues?
Old 03-30-2023, 08:07 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

My guess is that box is the brain that connects the trailer wiring to the Cayenne. When the car senses an attached trailer through the wiring, LCA is disabled and you get a trailer flasher icon on the dash when using the turn signals. You still need a brake controller to activate the trailer’s electric brakes.

My trailer is full LED, no issues at all.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:48 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

I tow my race cars with the Cayenne e-hybrid. It's a fantastic tow vehicle, no issues at all. It's quiet, stable, and has enough power to get moving pretty well. It's also badass rolling through the pits on e-power. I use a wired Tekonsha brake controller for mine.

Attachment 1335611
Old 03-30-2023, 11:02 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

So glad I saw this today. My wife has a 2012 CS and we tow with it all the time. It had the tow package from the factory. I installed the brake controller and it's worked great. We tow a Futura trailer with a 2019 GT3 RS or my Cayman race car. I just bought a 2022 F150 and we are going to get another trailer so we can tow both cars to events.My wife is ready to get a new Cayenne, or new to us. We are looking at 2022 or newer GTS and Turbos. Rita (wife) test-drove a new GTS with rear-wheel steer and she loved it. Finding a new'ish Cayenne with a tow package and RWS and she wants a surround camera. is a challenge, to say the least. So finding out that we can retrofit a tow package will make my life easier. Our salesperson the other day told me the opposite.
I will call the dealer tomorrow to confirm they are willing to do the installation.
The 2012 Cayenne S tows great!

The following users liked this post:
dalves11 (03-31-2023)

Quick Reply: OEM Tow Package brake controller