Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Porsche buy back experience anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 09:42 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Porsche buy back experience anyone?

Anyone have any true experience or advice prior to, during or after Porsche buy back? This is not intended to be a lemon law discussion or guesses about buy back process. I’d prefer to keep this focused on those who may have actually done it. I may have an opportunity to do this but still awaiting further discussion from Porsche. Basically, I have an unresolved (no Porsche solution) CEL due to evap system. Im not requesting “did you check”…such and such. Pretty much been there, done that over last 2 years. Id like to hear some real world experience regarding buy back process. DM if that’s easier for you. Thanks in advance

Last edited by radctt1; 12-05-2022 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-05-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 11:28 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

My Jetta was a lemon. I was still keen on fixing it, but the dealer actually told me they where taking me out of it. Without getting to much into it, they offered me everything back in a check or a credit for a new VW. I told them I didn't want a VW but I would consider an Audi. They applied the credit to Audi. I know it's not Porsche, but that was my only experience with a Lemon Thank God.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:48 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1
Anyone have any true experience or advice prior to, during or after Porsche buy back? This is not intended to be a lemon law discussion or guesses about buy back process. I’d prefer to keep this focused on those who may have actually done it. I may have an opportunity to do this but still awaiting further discussion from Porsche. Basically, I have an unresolved (no Porsche solution) CEL due to evap system. Im not requesting “did you check”…such and such. Pretty much been there, done that over last 2 years. Id like to hear some real world experience regarding buy back process. DM if that’s easier for you. Thanks in advance
I've done 3 or 4 buy backs from various vendors - make you case in writing, be prepared for them to push back, it will take some time - your dealer isn't who you work with - you'll need to get Porsche North America involved. It all starts with a written request for them to buy you out of the vehicles - some googling about lemon law's in your state will help you make your case - if your case is cut/dry it will still take time, but the car guys know they have to pony up in the end. Be polite, be factual, be earnest and point out that it's simply business and make your case as to "why" you think you need to be bought out.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:58 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

It is a slow a painful process. I have been through it with other MFGs. Most take the price you paid for the car. Dived that by 125000. The take that and multiply mileage at the first repair. That will be your usage charge. Subtract your usage charge from the price you paid. That will be your refund along with taxes and fees. Make sure you get paid for any extras. (warranty, pre-purchase maintenance, clear bra, etc..)
If you are buy another car from the same MFG. They will start at MSRP with the new vehicle. So, that is not always a good deal. Now if you can do a collateral swap with a new vehicle. You should come out ahead if it is a newer model year with same features. Collateral swap is when they just swap out the VINs on your loans. That can be a hard one for them to do but you can force them into it instead of you going the lemon route. Lemon is the worst for the MFG.
daveo4porsche (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

here is a sample lemon law letter that has gotten the ball rolling for me in the past - obviously update/modify as you see fit.

enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Sample Lemon Law Letter.pdf (53.9 KB, 464 views)
mr700 (08-10-2024)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:57 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the replies. Very much appreciate the community here.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:40 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

I only know two people who have needed to lemon law their cars, both have been Mercedes though. One a GT car and the other an S. In both cases Mercedes fought them tooth and nail, and both had to hire attorneys.

After more than a year of fighting, one was successful and the other was not.

It's a very difficult process, I'm sure even for our beloved Porsche. Good luck

Old 12-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by othertbone
I only know two people who have needed to lemon law their cars, both have been Mercedes though. One a GT car and the other an S. In both cases Mercedes fought them tooth and nail, and both had to hire attorneys.

After more than a year of fighting, one was successful and the other was not.

It's a very difficult process, I'm sure even for our beloved Porsche. Good luck
I believe Lemon Law attorneys don't cost anything to start the process like personal injury
Old 12-11-2022, 05:13 PM
jro1
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
It is a slow a painful process. I have been through it with other MFGs. Most take the price you paid for the car. Dived that by 125000. The take that and multiply mileage at the first repair. That will be your usage charge. Subtract your usage charge from the price you paid. That will be your refund along with taxes and fees. Make sure you get paid for any extras. (warranty, pre-purchase maintenance, clear bra, etc..)
If you are buy another car from the same MFG. They will start at MSRP with the new vehicle. So, that is not always a good deal. Now if you can do a collateral swap with a new vehicle. You should come out ahead if it is a newer model year with same features. Collateral swap is when they just swap out the VINs on your loans. That can be a hard one for them to do but you can force them into it instead of you going the lemon route. Lemon is the worst for the MFG.
Had this exact experience with another German manufacturer. They determined that the engine needed to be replaced (metal shavings in the oil pan on a 3 month old vehicle). I pushed back that I had no confidence in the rest of the quality control of that particular vehicle. They swapped vehicle and did all the paper work. Ended up that we got the next model year!.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:53 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Update:

I’ve received official buyback process offer from Porsche NA. They have given me in writing they will buy back my cayenne. I’m considering it as a solution. Drawbacks for me are time and ultimately vehicle replacement (would do turbo SE again although that’s off topic). Additional issue is time spent and accepting final amount. If it’s way too low, I’ll just keep the car.

Interestingly, Porsche has offered me a 5 digit monetary alternative if I skip the buyback process, keep my vehicle and await software update (they claim 3 months). Not holding my breath for that as I’ve owned it for two years. I’m thinking of determining their offer to buy back and in parallel, also going to politely ask if they would extend my warranty in conjunction with the monetary offer.

Obviously I don’t know the buy back amount and I prefer not to disclose the exact cash offer but it could have nearly paid for new wrx just picked up.

Opinions on these two options?
Old 12-14-2022, 09:20 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Do you have a car you can drive or do you need to keep this to maintain? If you absolutely need it, I’d keep the car with the $$ but maybe you can get in writing if fix isn’t ready 6 months from now the buy it back and X dollar. gives them a bit of extra time and keeps you happy ?

If you don’t need the car get a proper dollar for it, take the 2 years of driving it but first, dk you know any dealers with an allocation? Maybe you can leverage that into the deal , if not you can expect a delay in ordering but if you can get the dollar amount you want for the car and take a minor loss with having driven it for two years , get rid of the problem

edit; I am also a stranger on the internet, trust your gut you’ve already played this in your head a hundred times probably
Old 12-15-2022, 06:07 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Update:

I’ve received official buyback process offer from Porsche NA. They have given me in writing they will buy back my cayenne. I’m considering it as a solution. Drawbacks for me are time and ultimately vehicle replacement (would do turbo SE again although that’s off topic). Additional issue is time spent and accepting final amount. If it’s way too low, I’ll just keep the car.

Interestingly, Porsche has offered me a 5 digit monetary alternative if I skip the buyback process, keep my vehicle and await software update (they claim 3 months). Not holding my breath for that as I’ve owned it for two years. I’m thinking of determining their offer to buy back and in parallel, also going to politely ask if they would extend my warranty in conjunction with the monetary offer.

Obviously I don’t know the buy back amount and I prefer not to disclose the exact cash offer but it could have nearly paid for new wrx just picked up.

you can do better PM me
Old 12-15-2022, 10:54 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you're not getting 100% of your money back its a no deal!
Old 12-15-2022, 01:03 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Update:

I've taken their goodwill money multiple times, then sold/traded the cars after I got the goodwill $.

Problem solved, I was in a new car, and came out way ahead of a buyback on both of mine. But it would depend on how much your car is worth and if you can find a new one in a timely manner.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:17 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 145 Posts

@radctt1 curious, what ended up happening here?

Quick Reply: Porsche buy back experience anyone?