Sponsored By:

Intermittent issue with PCM recognizing second driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 02:45 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intermittent issue with PCM recognizing second driver

I’m having an issue with our 2022 Cayenne where about half the time it doesn’t recognize the second driver. The primary driver is always recognized. But when the secondary driver (me) starts the car, about half the time the screen beeps and asks if I want to Switch Account, Continue As Guest, or Set Up a new driver:

• If I press “Switch Account” – the secondary driver’s name is not displayed
  • If I press “Continue As Guest”, the PCM will go into guest mode, and sometimes the second driver is eventually recognized while other times they are not
The other half of the time, the car recognizes the secondary driver right away at startup and all is good.

One clue may be the fact that this issue only seems to happen when the car is in our parking garage. I don’t recall it happening when the car is parked in a parking lot or on a street. I’ve become suspicious that it could be cellular connectivity related, but that could just be a coincidence. Is an internet connection required for the car to recognize the second driver?

I’ve rebooted a couple of times and even deleted and set up the second driver profile from scratch, but nothing has helped. Anyone else had this happen? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2022, 04:43 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 344 Posts

I've had a few issues with my 2022 Cayenne which might be related. Last week I started the engine while my wife was in the passenger seat and it logged her on instead of me even through she has driven the Cayenne only once and that was a couple of months ago. I tried to select my account but it wasn't shown on the PCM screen. I then drove under her account since we were on a tight schedule. After I dropped her off at her medical appointment, I sat in the parking lot and finally got logged on under my own account. I don't remember if I was able to log on immediately after restarting the engine or if I had to wait for the instrument cluster display to time out which I have to do when a speed limit gets "stuck" in InnoDrive.

The amount of time it takes to automatically log on varies considerably. It usually logs on quickly but sometimes it never happens unless I restart the engine. It sometimes takes several minutes before I can get music to start streaming from Android apps via Android Auto - mostly YouTube music. I've got my Android phone configured to automatically connect to the Cayenne's WiFi hotspot having started doing that a couple of months ago when in a rural area with poor to no data service on our handheld phones.

Logging on seems to take longer if the Cayenne hasn't been driven for a day or two. This being Monday and since the Cayenne hasn't been driven since Friday, I plan to drive it this afternoon only to hopefully ensure that there are no issues early tomorrow when I transport my wife to an important appointment.

I've wondered if these problems have something to do with our garage. Our house has a masonry exterior and an unusually large amount of steel in its structure. Connected services and satellite radio in the vehicle the Cayenne replaced didn't work at all in our garage. Surprisingly, satellite radio in the Cayenne works fine in our garage.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember having any problems logging on in the Cayenne when I'm away from our house...

My Cayenne is a May 2022 build and is on PCM 6.1.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:32 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That all seems to mirror our experience as well (even though we are a Jan build still with PCM 6.0). The logon time (even when it works) can range from near instant to 40 seconds or more sometimes. It’s interesting that your logons take longer after the car has sat for a day or two. That may be the case our as well – I’ll try to keep an eye out for that. Thanks for the response – let me know if you discover more over time and I’ll do the same…

Quick Reply: Intermittent issue with PCM recognizing second driver