Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can you put a dollar value on CPO status?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 04:19 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Can you put a dollar value on CPO status?

Shopping for used Cayenne, my previous was a 2019 - it was CPO. Only had it two years, and never had a mechanical issue that had to be covered by a warranty. How much do you the additional price of CPO cars is worth over comparable cars that are simply "used"?
Old 12-02-2022, 04:37 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by LoopGaroo
Shopping for used Cayenne, my previous was a 2019 - it was CPO. Only had it two years, and never had a mechanical issue that had to be covered by a warranty. How much do you the additional price of CPO cars is worth over comparable cars that are simply "used"?
Last I heard from my Pcar dealer friend its $2,500 + depending on the model plus their cost for required parts (tires, brakes, etc.) to meet the CPO standards. Others may have more up to date info. Do a search on rennlist for aftermarket warranties. Some informative posts in the past few months. Fidelity seems to be the aftermarket warranty of choice.

Last edited by LDT; 12-02-2022 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 04:50 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by LDT
Last I heard from my Pcar dealer friend its $2,500 + depending on the model plus their cost for required parts (tires, brakes, etc.) to meet the CPO standards. Others may have more up to date info. Do a search on rennlist for aftermarket warranties. Some informative posts in the past few months. Fidelity seems to be the aftermarket warranty of choice.
$2.5k-$3k is price from dealers. Value is in the eye of the beholder. CPO means more warranty and some maintenance is done (brakes, tires), depending on the particular vehicle/mileage.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:56 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chassis
$2.5k-$3k is price from dealers. Value is in the eye of the beholder. CPO means more warranty and some maintenance is done (brakes, tires), depending on the particular vehicle/mileage.
Yes........the newer it is and especially the lower the miles are the less likely it is that the dealer had to do anything other than inspect it and change oil/filter.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 05:19 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
so the reason I'm asking this is that with one particular late model Cayenne I'm looking at the seller (not a Porsche dealer) mentioned to me that if CPO designation and all that comes with was something I wanted (to make the car CPO) then we have to and could make the transaction flow through the Porsche dealer that they apparently do a good deal of business with (same city as business offering the car).

I'm gonna throw out some numbers here. This is on a 2020 Base w/ 21K mi and 15 mos of factory warranty left (as of mid Dec). To make this car CPO, they would sell the car to the Porsche dealer ($790 doc fees to me - this is both dealers so total for the transaction), Porsche dealer does inspection ($600) Warranty cost ($2700 to Porsche) and this line "rest is compensation to ___ Porsche (the deealer) $1900. So Price of car + TTL then 790 + 2700 + 600 + 1910 so $6000 adding 2 yrs BTB Porsche CPO warranty (and that's if nothing has to be added to get it to meet CPO standard.

I don't think I can make that math work...That's a **** load of repair bills to zero that out, isn't it? I mean what are the chances I would incur $6000 worth of warranty work in a two year period which would be on a car that would be between 4-6 years old from in-service date? I'm going to include a copy of the text with the name of the dealer redacted - and I confirmed the figures with the sales manager at that particular Porsche dealer. Now without the warranty, I think the price of the car is quite attractive, but if I had that, that would put it the high range for a comparably equipped and mileage same MY car.

Text:
Warranty cost is $2700
Inspection for CPO $600

We will have to sell them the car so they will have to pay our doc and ETR fees $790.

The rest is compensation to <unnamed> Porsche $1910

That will get him a two-year extension on the warranty through Porsche, which can be upgraded for an additional year for $3K.

Six years from the in-service date, unlimited mileage, or seven years from the in-service date, unlimited mileage.

As long as the car doesn’t require anything to meet CPO requirements

Curious on thoughts
Old 12-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 384 Posts

I tell customers when facing a "the car I want vs. the car with CPO" just get the car your heart desires, an extended warranty, and enjoy the ride!

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following 2 users liked this post by Highline-Autos.com:
LDT (12-02-2022), LoopGaroo (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 05:35 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

The dealer is doing pretty well here. I guess it depends on your tolerance for potential after warranty repair bills. Sometimes it is something simple - that costs a lot to diagnose and repair. My 2021 GTS had a vacuum leak to one of the turbo chargers. They spent a whole day diagnosing, then digging around in the engine compartment - couldn't find it so had to take off the grill, front bumper wheels etc. Then ordered a part and put it back together again. I didn't get a bill but they had at least 16 hours into it ($3,600?). Then a week later I got another fault which was a different vacuum leak. It only took them a couple of hours to find and fix that one so $500 ?

I hate to think of what it would cost if something serious went wrong. So if it was me I'd have the 6 year warranty if I was going to keep the car 6 years. But, I'm thinking you can find a dealer with a similar unit CPO already and make a deal?

Last edited by kayjh; 12-02-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:36 PM
Gwaxman34
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

so the reason I'm asking this is that with one particular late model Cayenne I'm looking at the seller (not a Porsche dealer) mentioned to me that if CPO designation and all that comes with was something I wanted (to make the car CPO) then we have to and could make the transaction flow through the Porsche dealer that they apparently do a good deal of business with (same city as business offering the car).

I'm gonna throw out some numbers here. This is on a 2020 Base w/ 21K mi and 15 mos of factory warranty left (as of mid Dec). To make this car CPO, they would sell the car to the Porsche dealer ($790 doc fees to me - this is both dealers so total for the transaction), Porsche dealer does inspection ($600) Warranty cost ($2700 to Porsche) and this line "rest is compensation to ___ Porsche (the deealer) $1900. So Price of car + TTL then 790 + 2700 + 600 + 1910 so $6000 adding 2 yrs BTB Porsche CPO warranty (and that's if nothing has to be added to get it to meet CPO standard.

I don't think I can make that math work...That's a **** load of repair bills to zero that out, isn't it? I mean what are the chances I would incur $6000 worth of warranty work in a two year period which would be on a car that would be between 4-6 years old from in-service date? I'm going to include a copy of the text with the name of the dealer redacted - and I confirmed the figures with the sales manager at that particular Porsche dealer. Now without the warranty, I think the price of the car is quite attractive, but if I had that, that would put it the high range for a comparably equipped and mileage same MY car.

Text:
Warranty cost is $2700
Inspection for CPO $600

We will have to sell them the car so they will have to pay our doc and ETR fees $790.

The rest is compensation to <unnamed> Porsche $1910

That will get him a two-year extension on the warranty through Porsche, which can be upgraded for an additional year for $3K.

Six years from the in-service date, unlimited mileage, or seven years from the in-service date, unlimited mileage.

As long as the car doesn’t require anything to meet CPO requirements

Curious on thoughts
my $.02, the dealer is making the inspection fees and a vig on the CPO fees. Chop the $1,900 “compensation” out and I’d take the CPO. If not, be patient and wait for a CPO in dealer inventory.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:50 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gwaxman34
my $.02, the dealer is making the inspection fees and a vig on the CPO fees. Chop the $1,900 “compensation” out and I’d take the CPO. If not, be patient and wait for a CPO in dealer inventory.
That was exactly what I thought - only thing is interior on this example is unusual, comes around pretty rarely. It's in another city, but had my nephew check it out and drive lt. Right ext color for me too.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:57 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Whew, lots of math. Unless I missed it I don’t see the price of the car with and without CPO. Big Q is how long will you keep it? You can buy a warranty from Fidelity…..lots of guys here have. See highline-autos.com and others you can find in a search of this forum. To provide some perspective I purchased my 2020 base 4 months ago from BMW dealer without CPO. Original MSRP was just under $100k so it’s pretty well optioned. One local owner. Had 18,000 miles on it and 25 months/32,000 miles remaining on factory warranty. It’ll need new tires soon but I’m buying a set of new 21” takeoffs to replace the current 22” wheels. Paid $71,500 and it has depreciated maybe $10k since which I expected with the rollout of 2023 models. Considering my history of keeping a car less than 24 months I didn’t care about CPO. BMW dealer woulda done the same thing you described….BMW sells to Porsche, Porsche certifies and sells to me but I wasn’t interested. I’d say if you like it and the price is right, buy it. If you decide to keep it beyond factory warranty buy a warranty from Fidelity.

Last edited by LDT; 12-02-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 384 Posts

How many miles are on the vehicle? I'd be happy to share pricing right here in this thread.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:09 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LDT
Whew, lots of math. Unless I missed it I don’t see the price of the car with and without CPO. Big Q is how long will you keep it? You can buy a warranty from Fidelity…..lots of guys here have. See highline-autos.com and others you can find in a search of this forum. To provide some perspective I purchased my 2020 base 4 months ago from BMW dealer without CPO. Original MSRP was just under $100k so it’s pretty well optioned. One local owner. Had 18,000 miles on it and 25 months/32,000 miles remaining on factory warranty. It’ll need new tires soon but I’m buying a set of new 21” takeoffs to replace the current 22” wheels. Paid $71,500 and it has depreciated maybe $10k since which I expected with the rollout of 2023 models. Considering my history of keeping a car less than 24 months I didn’t care about CPO. BMW dealer woulda done the same thing you described….BMW sells to Porsche, Porsche certifies and sells to me but I wasn’t interested. I’d say if you like it and the price is right, buy it. If you decide to keep it beyond factory warranty buy a warranty from Fidelity.
I'm the guy that asked you about the graphite/chalk interior, for the very reason on this car I'm looking at. If it looks anything like the pics, its killer. Had my nephew check it out and he loved that interior.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:13 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

I'm the guy that asked you about the graphite/chalk interior, for the very reason on this car I'm looking at. If it looks anything like the pics, its killer. Had my nephew check it out and he loved that interior.
It is indeed spectacular. You will not be disappointed. I’ll try to take some interior pics tomorrow and post them here. Getting dark here now.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:14 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
How many miles are on the vehicle? I'd be happy to share pricing right here in this thread.
Sure, thank you. 21K and a bit of change. MY2020
How do I know if the dealer in my city honors a particular ext. warranty?
Old 12-02-2022, 06:17 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

From the configurator…probably better than my iPhone pics.

Quick Reply: Can you put a dollar value on CPO status?