Sponsored By:

190k miles 2004 CTT issues diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 08:51 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 190k miles 2004 CTT issues diagnosis

I've just picked up a 2004 CTT with a few issues and am starting to dive in and peel back the layers of the onion so to speak. The car runs and drives, but it needs a valve body replacement (I knew that when buying it).
Right now, what I'm more concerned about is diagnosing some engine issues. After going for a short drive, turning the car off and then starting it again, it blows a very large plume of white (maybe blueish but hard to say) smoke out of the exhaust. There are also lean running at idle codes for both banks. There are what look to be numerous oil leaks, mostly coming from the left hand side of the engine (drivers side for those of you in the US). The PCV valve on the top of the left valve cover looks to be where one of these leaks originates from. Based on the issues that are present, I'm hoping the PCV/AOS is the culprit and not something more serious.

There looks to be a very slight amount of oil in the coolant expansion tank, not enough to make it look like a milkshake but just enough to discolour the water and make it feel slightly greasy if you drip you finger in and rub it on your hand. No signs of water/coolant in oil though thankfully. Hoping this might be an oil cooler thing?

Would love to hear from some more experienced people who have been through these issues before and can easily identify the causes. This is my first Porsche, I've come from the land of BMW, so I'm still pretty unfamiliar with this VAG ecosystem and have a lot to learn.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Hello tassieporsche. Congratulations on your first Porsche and welcome to Rennlist!

The Cayenne is a very popular model for good reason. It’s currently on the third generation of production. Rennlist has a separate forum for each generation to keep it manageable.

You may wish to post your question in the 955 - 957 Cayenne forum. The good folks there will be more familiar with your model.

Here’s a link to that forum. Good luck and happy motoring!

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-2003-2010-77/

Last edited by Schnave; 10-03-2022 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tassieporsche (10-03-2022)

Quick Reply: 190k miles 2004 CTT issues diagnosis