Sponsored By:

GTS review after 1K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 03:53 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
An update after 4500 miles with 1800 miles coming on a recent trip to Florida, escaping the cold. We averaged close to 21 mpg for the trip. The GTS is a very comfortable road car. The storage area actually seems to hold more than the 2016. The rear seat backs adjusting to almost 90 degree upright is a big help. The massage seats are great to have with the long days in the car. The second day was over 700 miles so the massage function was used regularly. The driver assist functions, ACC and ALKA, were a great help also. Never turned on PID 😬.

Some thoughts on ACC: most of the time ACC works well both on open road and in congestion. As others have stated there is some cautions. Leaving too much space is an invite for someone to move in between causing the ACC to slow the vehicle, and depending on space, brake to aggressively slow down to increase the gap. Adjusting the gap to minimum helps deter this activity but I found at times it’s not enough space for the vehicle to brake for stopped traffic. This wasn’t an issue until I started south on I75 in Florida. As many know I75 can be an adventure, think chase scene in Road Warrior. You can be going 80+ and all of a sudden traffic stops. ACC is a bit slow to pick this up as it reacts to the vehicle in front. The gap closes very quickly which causes very hard braking. The 2nd setting helps but still difficult for ACC to react. Most of these instances I had to manually brake since I could see the brake lights several vehicles up. Is this an issue with any drive automation, reading conditions further down the road? While these features are nice to have i cannot totally rely on them. As the message says “please take over steering”.
Great fuel economy result. I did several hundred miles, several times over the past week and averaged 22mpg max with the 2.9L TT V6.

Im pretty sure the EA825 has cylinder deactivation and the EA839 does not, which could explain the good V8 result.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:57 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the reviews. I just picked mine up a few days ago and can't wait to put some miles on it. After driving it home though, it has rained every day since. Figures. It's like the new board curse. . .buy a new surfboard, and the waves go flat.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 06:31 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
An update after 4500 miles with 1800 miles coming on a recent trip to Florida, escaping the cold. We averaged close to 21 mpg for the trip. The GTS is a very comfortable road car. The storage area actually seems to hold more than the 2016. The rear seat backs adjusting to almost 90 degree upright is a big help. The massage seats are great to have with the long days in the car. The second day was over 700 miles so the massage function was used regularly. The driver assist functions, ACC and ALKA, were a great help also. Never turned on PID 😬.

Some thoughts on ACC: most of the time ACC works well both on open road and in congestion. As others have stated there is some cautions. Leaving too much space is an invite for someone to move in between causing the ACC to slow the vehicle, and depending on space, brake to aggressively slow down to increase the gap. Adjusting the gap to minimum helps deter this activity but I found at times it’s not enough space for the vehicle to brake for stopped traffic. This wasn’t an issue until I started south on I75 in Florida. As many know I75 can be an adventure, think chase scene in Road Warrior. You can be going 80+ and all of a sudden traffic stops. ACC is a bit slow to pick this up as it reacts to the vehicle in front. The gap closes very quickly which causes very hard braking. The 2nd setting helps but still difficult for ACC to react. Most of these instances I had to manually brake since I could see the brake lights several vehicles up. Is this an issue with any drive automation, reading conditions further down the road? While these features are nice to have i cannot totally rely on them. As the message says “please take over steering”.
I'm in agreement with your assessment of ACC. In my experience it does not recognize a car merging into your lane in front of you until said vehicle is pretty much already in your lane. I wonder if it's peripheral vision is restricted due to the considerable amount of inset @ front grille. And I observed the same behavior as you when traffic comes to a sudden halt. On the other hand the stop and go feature is very intuitive and useful in traffic. Secondly, the LKA recognizes edge lines but not a curb. My A6 was much better at recognizing curbs. Bottom line is that this technology is meaningful but the driver must remain alert at all times.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 06:53 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

I have 1 k mile on 23 GTS and love it
my favorite Porsche so far and I have owned several including 911, cayman GT3/GT3RS etc
I think Porsche hit a HR with this car and this is coming from a guy that does not like SUV
and before I get flamed . I am not saying it is better than a 911 or GT3RS , but just an excellent package overall .

Last edited by pitt911; 01-03-2023 at 06:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pitt911:
chassis (01-03-2023), CTT-QTR (01-04-2023), LDT (01-03-2023), srf409 (01-03-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS review after 1K miles