Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

iphone Magsafe Car Charger Mounting Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 06:24 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

First - no affiliation - was looking for a solution and this caught my eye. I'll be the Guinea Pig.

I received the Nine-Volt MagSafe charger that fits in the ashtray. (https://nine-volt.com/collections/al...42234581188777)

I think it looks pretty good and it seems to works well so far. Per the company, the MagSafe puck charges at 15W. It holds the phone while driving probably as well as any MagSafe puck does. I have not had it slip out or slide around yet. You can rotate the phone 360 degrees fairly easily once the magnet engages, but that is consistent with something like a Belkin stand I have. I am using an Apple clear MagSafe case without a problem. It probably helps that the phone is sitting horizontally.

It is essentially a 3D printed cover, frame and base with an aftermarket MagSafe puck, a USB-C L-shaped adapter and a 12V slim USB-C plug. Likely all off-the-shelf components. So a little expensive for what it is.

ArcticFox's solution (original post) is easily as effective for $100 less. Also - the solution on the original post could be more stable since it has the lower vertical magnet as part of the solution.

There is a minor texture to the 3D printed parts but once installed it is hardly noticeable. The cover and MagSafe puck are a slightly lighter shade of black than the trim but honestly it blends in pretty well when sitting in the seats. If it was injection molded, it would be flawless.

You can use it in portrait and landscape mode. For an iPhone 13 Pro, you can use it in portrait and still have a water bottle in both cup holders. It just clears them. A larger bottle or coffee mug might interfere and an iPhone Max wouldn't work in portrait. It does work in landscape well and that could handle the Max and any size bottle. I use it in landscape so that it clears the cup holders as well as the parking brake.

Or - for $10 you could just plug in your phone.

Last edited by abokor; 05-28-2022 at 06:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by abokor:
c-dubmobile (08-11-2024), Hedges82 (06-01-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 09:07 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
I looked around and never could find a good solution to use my iPhone with a Magsafe charger in the Cayenne (2019 Cayenne S).

After trail and error of testing a few products, I found the best solution to be the Rennline "Porsche Exactfit Magnetic Phone Mount":

https://www.rennline.com/porsche-cay...t-sku-pm01-30/

I then grabbed a MagSafe (generic) car mount from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This mount has a 17mm ball socket, so it fits the Rennline mount perfectly. It also comes with a power cable and 12v socket adapter, so basically everything you need.

I originally used a Apple Magsafe “puck”, but found it didn’t hold well. After searching around for a more powerful MagSafe mount, I found this one, and it IS stronger. I think it will be sufficient to hold the phone over the nastiest bumps. The Apple MagSafe puck held the phone, but was not confidence inspiring. Even though the phone never dropped in my limited testing, I was not confident that would continue. As a result, I went with this stronger mount, of which I am impressed.

Just wanted to share in case somebody else is looking for a MagSafe solution for the Cayenne like I was...

How did you get the vent out to install? I can't seem to pop it out with a trim tool. The front surround pops a bit but I can't get the entire vent assembly
Old 08-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

This video should help. The vent requires a good tug to remove it.

This thread goes into more detail:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-cayenne.html

From that thread:

Originally Posted by macanakey
How hard is it to pop those vents off? We tried to do it with the pry tool & stopped because we were worried that something would break! I really don't want to be that wienie that takes it somewhere else to do it, but I don't want to break anything either!
Originally Posted by Fattony001
I did it with a friend and 1 was pulling with the tool like in the video and 1 was pulling
near the center of the vent with fingers and thats how i got it to unclip.
dont pull from the bottom cause that little bottom leather part is part of the vent assembly.
i think pulling with only the tool from 1 side jams the clips on the other side.
in my case i got leather dash soo i had to go easy with the tool.

and its easy to pop back in after. good luck
Old 08-10-2022, 10:00 PM
tnedator
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if the Rennline mount will fit the 2022? The description says 2019-2020, but the vents in the picture look the same as my 2022 vents.

I have a very similar design in my Grand Wagoneer and GT500 (from Course motorsports), and I love this type of mount.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:53 AM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tnedator
Anyone know if the Rennline mount will fit the 2022? The description says 2019-2020, but the vents in the picture look the same as my 2022 vents.

I have a very similar design in my Grand Wagoneer and GT500 (from Course motorsports), and I love this type of mount.
I just installed it on my MY23 and it worked just like the video. I realized that I was making two mistakes trying to get the vent out - first I was sticking the trim tool too far in. Everyone said you had to go further than you thought and I definitely way over did it. The other is that they say (but I didnt really listen) to grab at the top corner. Came out pretty easy once I fixed my approach
Old 08-12-2022, 01:56 PM
ImAzn
Track Day

I use an A-tach phone mount https://www.atachmounts.com/Porsche-...unt_p_186.html

with a Satechi magnetic wireless car charger magnet https://satechi.net/products/magneti...39498844700760
Old 08-12-2022, 02:21 PM
tnedator
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JeremyR
I just installed it on my MY23 and it worked just like the video. I realized that I was making two mistakes trying to get the vent out - first I was sticking the trim tool too far in. Everyone said you had to go further than you thought and I definitely way over did it. The other is that they say (but I didnt really listen) to grab at the top corner. Came out pretty easy once I fixed my approach
Great, thanks. Placed an order.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:59 AM
tnedator
Intermediate

Looking at the original post, did you power it from the armest/console, and ran the wire hidden to there somehow or did you run the cable to someplace else to get power? I have it installed now (last night), but just have the power cable exposed as it was late when I did it and didn't see an obvious way to hide the cable.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:48 AM
Gwaxman34
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

you must be one of the first on here who received their MY 23 - congrats!

let’s see some pics!
Old 08-17-2022, 01:29 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tnedator
Looking at the original post, did you power it from the armest/console, and ran the wire hidden to there somehow or did you run the cable to someplace else to get power? I have it installed now (last night), but just have the power cable exposed as it was late when I did it and didn't see an obvious way to hide the cable.
The power cable runs down to the passenger footwell 12v socket. I removed a couple panels to route the wires (can't recall exactly what I did, but I think I pulled the center dash assembly (that surrounds the shifter) and fished wires down to the footwell).

EDIT: After going outside to look, I am pretty sure I just pushed the wire into the seam between panels. I removed the passenger footwell panel (the one where the 12v socket resides), zip tied the excess wires, and tucked them on top of that panel.

Last edited by ArcticFox; 08-17-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:18 PM
ctguy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I love Magsafe, but with the Magsafe+Wireless options running Dual SIM and Nav etc my phone overheats if using wireless charging and becomes unusuable (iPhone 12 Pro). So pretty much stuck with wired or having to worry about how I'm using it.

It seems oveheating is still and issue with the iPhone 13 too.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:11 PM
tnedator
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
The power cable runs down to the passenger footwell 12v socket. I removed a couple panels to route the wires (can't recall exactly what I did, but I think I pulled the center dash assembly (that surrounds the shifter) and fished wires down to the footwell).

EDIT: After going outside to look, I am pretty sure I just pushed the wire into the seam between panels. I removed the passenger footwell panel (the one where the 12v socket resides), zip tied the excess wires, and tucked them on top of that panel.
Thanks. Didn't know there was a 12v socket under the passenger footwell panel.
The following users liked this post:
ctguy (08-17-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:09 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gwaxman34
you must be one of the first on here who received their MY 23 - congrats!

let’s see some pics!
Here are a couple of pics from when I picked it up. Its a base Cayenne Platinum in Moonlight Blue with Truffle Brown interior. Ordered in Feb as a 2022, left the factory floor early May and delivered on July 30 as a 2023. Unfortunately after having it for less than 2 weeks, someone slammed into the back of it and ran. Its at the body shop now who have told me that the damage to the rear end/suspension is "extensive" and they are getting increasingly doubtful that insurance is going to want to fix it...

The following users liked this post:
ctguy (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:19 PM
Gwaxman34
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

Here are a couple of pics from when I picked it up. Its a base Cayenne Platinum in Moonlight Blue with Truffle Brown interior. Ordered in Feb as a 2022, left the factory floor early May and delivered on July 30 as a 2023. Unfortunately after having it for less than 2 weeks, someone slammed into the back of it and ran. Its at the body shop now who have told me that the damage to the rear end/suspension is "extensive" and they are getting increasingly doubtful that insurance is going to want to fix it...

oh no!!
Old 08-18-2022, 12:56 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gwaxman34
oh no!!
Its a pretty interesting situation when its not like you can just go get a new one right away if it is totaled.

Quick Reply: iphone Magsafe Car Charger Mounting Option