Sponsored By:

Drive setting for deep snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:43 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Drive setting for deep snow?

Got ~20 inches here yesterday, had to get the Cayenne out of the driveway and up the steepish lane to get out of the way so the plow guy could get in and do his thing. I went with the "Sand" setting and it worked fine, but was that the best setting? Enquiring minds want to know! Whaddaya think?

edit: in all honesty I didn't really "have" to move it, plow guy coulda worked around me, but Iit did make it easier for him and I wanted to see how the car would do, so...

Last edited by icemang; 01-30-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:51 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang
Got ~20 inches here yesterday, had to get the Cayenne out of the driveway and up the steepish lane to get out of the way so the plow guy could get in and do his thing. I went with the "Sand" setting and it worked fine, but was that the best setting? Enquiring minds want to know! Whaddaya think?
We routinely get 15cm (6") of snow at a time where I live. The snow tends to be fairly dry, so not as slippery as in Boston and on the prairies we don't have to contend with hills. I find a good set of snow tires and judicious application of the throttle in "normal" mode works just fine for me. I haven't explored the other settings. I have lifted the air suspension from time to time to get over hard snow ridges.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:59 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Fortunately this storm was pretty light and fluffy but I definitely questioned my wisdom when I started to move and snow started coming up on the hood! Didn't even spin a tire though.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:17 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang

edit: in all honesty I didn't really "have" to move it, plow guy coulda worked around me, but Iit did make it easier for him and I wanted to see how the car would do, so...
What size are your wheels? Did you experience any issue driving in snow?
Old 01-30-2022, 04:07 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

21s with all seasons, we rarely get big dumps of snow here by the ocean and it generally melts pretty fast when it does. I only had to go about 100 yards in deep snow, then about a quarter mile on plowed snow, turn around and come back down. No issues at all but it wasn't like regular driving around on roads.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:51 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to push through some pretty heavy snow to get to our cabin in the winter, and for short distances in deep snow, I use the Rock setting... it raises it up and locks a couple of the differentials. With good snow tires it walks through the deep snow like it was born for it.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Drive setting for deep snow?