Sponsored By:

tiptronic shifting strategy

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 07:23 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default tiptronic shifting strategy

i don't know exactly where to post this. and i've searched.

i have a 2021 cayenne s coupe w tiptronic. the trannie holds gear when i release the accelerator. so, for example, if i accelrate up to 3rd to 6000rpm and release the gas, it holds 3rd all the way down to zero mph. it won't upshift nor freewheel/declutch.

just fyi, i also own a 2011 cayenne turbo (tiptronic) and it behaves like a normal automatic upshifting or freewheeling when the accelerator is released.
bothered by this, i took it in and service insisted that this was normal. i actually drove a loaner with the qc guy in along for the ride and same thing: it proved that it is indeed 'normal'.

so, what's 'normal' about this? did porsche change it's shifting strategy for tiptronic's somewhere along the way? and if so, why?

thanks for your kind attention
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 12:06 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo

i have a 2021 cayenne s coupe w tiptronic. the trannie holds gear when i release the accelerator. so, for example, if i accelrate up to 3rd to 6000rpm and release the gas, it holds 3rd all the way down to zero mph. it won't upshift nor freewheel/declutch.

just fyi, i also own a 2011 cayenne turbo (tiptronic) and it behaves like a normal automatic upshifting or freewheeling when the accelerator is released.
bothered by this, i took it in and service insisted that this was normal. i actually drove a loaner with the qc guy in along for the ride and same thing: it proved that it is indeed 'normal'.

so, what's 'normal' about this? did porsche change it's shifting strategy for tiptronic's somewhere along the way? and if so, why?

I assume you mean it behaves this way when you put it in manual mode and select a gear?
Old 01-22-2022, 12:56 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by kayjh
I assume you mean it behaves this way when you put it in manual mode and select a gear?
no, in normal mode. as i said, if it shifts up in my example, to 3rd gear at high revs, it will maintain 3rd all the way down to zero mph when the accelerator is released.

of course in manual mode it behaves correctly
Heegoogoo1 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 01:50 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts

no, in normal mode. as i said, if it shifts up in my example, to 3rd gear at high revs, it will maintain 3rd all the way down to zero mph when the accelerator is released.

of course in manual mode it behaves correctly
It's been about 16 years since I've owned it so my memory may be vague, but my '04 Cayenne Turbo behaved that way, and I loved it.. I guess the P-engineers decided if one lifted the throttle to zero, one wanted to slow the car.

Heegoogoo1 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:08 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Behr
It's been about 16 years since I've owned it so my memory may be vague, but my '04 Cayenne Turbo behaved that way, and I loved it.. I guess the P-engineers decided if one lifted the throttle to zero, one wanted to slow the car.
that's called compresion braking, which of course you use in a manual shift car (or here, in manual mode). in an automatic, releasing the gas releases the gear and in modern transmissions, for fuel economy purposes, it often upshifts.

i've never run into this. the porsche guys can't explain it. they simply say 'they all do that'
Old 01-22-2022, 05:40 PM
kayjh
Drifting

that's called compresion braking, which of course you use in a manual shift car (or here, in manual mode). in an automatic, releasing the gas releases the gear and in modern transmissions, for fuel economy purposes, it often upshifts.

i've never run into this. the porsche guys can't explain it. they simply say 'they all do that'
Mine doesn't. It upshifts normally, but shift points depend on how hard the accelerator pedal is depressed, of course. The mode switch plays into it as well. In normal mode the car will shift up smoothly trying to get to top gear as soon as it can and doesn't downshift until you are almost at stop. In sport mode, up shifts and downshifts are delayed and the top two gears are locked out. In Sport+ the top 3 great are locked out and the transmission holds the gear it is in for much longer, especially when slowing down to a stop and it rev matches perfectly as it goes through the gears all the way to a stop (my model is a GTS, but I assume the others behave the same). If yours doesn't, I'd take it into a different dealer for an assessment. Maybe post a video of the tack and speedo as you drive in normal mode for us to observe and comment?

Last edited by kayjh; 01-22-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:16 PM
Heegoogoo1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Cayenne coupe does the same ,I think since it’s a sports car ,it needs always to be ready for acceleration not like a classic car .
Old 01-22-2022, 06:41 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 47 Posts

Aisin vs ZF
Old 01-23-2022, 04:34 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Heegoogoo1
My Cayenne coupe does the same ,I think since it’s a sports car ,it needs always to be ready for acceleration not like a classic car .
thank you. as i said, the 2nd one i drove did the same. so the question for porsche is, why? and when did this change as my 2011 acts normally and does not hold gear on lift-off throttle.
Heegoogoo1 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 03:22 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,380 Likes on 1,274 Posts

I remembered your post during today’s drive, so I did a little test. My Cayenne behaved the same as yours. It held 3rd and remained engaged to the engine while coasting to a stop. It shifted to 2nd, then 1st below approximately 5 mph.

I did another run, and while coasting, I applied mild throttle to maintain speed, The transmission shifted into 4th, then 5th as you would expect. Sounds like this is normal for a Cayenne.

Last edited by Schnave; 01-23-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:53 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnave
I remembered your post during today’s drive, so I did a little test. My Cayenne behaved the same as yours. It held 3rd and remained engaged to the engine while coasting to a stop. It shifted to 2nd, then 1st below approximately 5 mph.

I did another run, and while coasting, I applied mild throttle to maintain speed, The transmission shifted into 4th, then 5th as you would expect. Sounds like this is normal for a Cayenne.
this is perfect! thanks for taking the time to reconfirm that this is the way porsche wants it in current cayenne's. now the question : why? what's the strategy here? why the change?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:36 PM
kayjh
Drifting

so, for example, if i accelrate up to 3rd to 6000rpm and release the gas, it holds 3rd all the way down to zero mph. it won't upshift nor freewheel/declutch.
I took a drive in my GTS this afternoon in comfort mode. I drove it to around 70 km/h and 5th gear and then took my foot off the gas and let the car slow down. I saw the gear numbers change from 5-4-3-2 as the vehicle slowed down and then to 1 just as it was coming to a stop. The vehicle never downshifted in such a way as to make the downshift noticeable without looking at the gear selector number in the display. I also notice that if I don't come to a complete stop (i.e. a rolling stop at a stop sign), the transmission stays in 2nd and starts off in that gear. I suspect that has something to do with fuel savings and making use of the V8's torque. But I didn't try that when I test drove an S model. When I increase speed, and then stop accreting, the transmissions upshifts to the next gear and then as speed increases it upshifts again until I'm going around 80 km/h at which point it shifts to 8th gear. Hope this helps.

Last edited by kayjh; 01-23-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:26 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by kayjh
I took a drive in my GTS this afternoon in comfort mode. I drove it to around 70 km/h and 5th gear and then took my foot off the gas and let the car slow down. I saw the gear numbers change from 5-4-3-2 as the vehicle slowed down and then to 1 just as it was coming to a stop. The vehicle never downshifted in such a way as to make the downshift noticeable without looking at the gear selector number in the display. I also notice that if I don't come to a complete stop (i.e. a rolling stop at a stop sign), the transmission stays in 2nd and starts off in that gear. I suspect that has something to do with fuel savings and making use of the V8's torque. But I didn't try that when I test drove an S model. When I increase speed, and then stop accreting, the transmissions upshifts to the next gear and then as speed increases it upshifts again until I'm going around 80 km/h at which point it shifts to 8th gear. Hope this helps.
first of all, thanks for trying this. i suppose it's possible that the v8 has a different shift strategy but i'm skeptical. if you have time, do what we're doing: take it up to 5000+ rpm in 2nd or 3rd and release the gas. and see if it holds 2nd or 3rd.

thank you
Heegoogoo1 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 04:56 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

first of all, thanks for trying this. i suppose it's possible that the v8 has a different shift strategy but i'm skeptical. if you have time, do what we're doing: take it up to 5000+ rpm in 2nd or 3rd and release the gas. and see if it holds 2nd or 3rd.

thank you
ok, i just tried what you did in the S. from 5th, gas off, it will shift down to 4th at 16mph, then 3rd etc to to point of stopping. however, what i was concerned about originally still holds. if you take it up to 3rd, or 2nd to high rev's, it will hold that gear all the way down to zero.

why is this important? if you're in a passing situation on the roadway, and you nail it and drop down two gears, it will stay in that lower gear indefinitely until you give it gas. it will not upshift. it stays in the lower gear. as though you're in manual mode and holding the lower gear. this isn't right, and i wish porsche or a tech would weigh in on this to explain why this is so and why it has changed. it's objectionable to me
Heegoogoo1 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:45 AM
kayjh
Drifting

thank you
OK, Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying. I think I asked if you are operating the transmission in manual (by that I mean - shift lever to left and manually selecting, or using the paddles) and I understood you to say no. So for me to get the transmission to get to 5,000 rpm in 2nd, I'd need to press the accelerator at least 1/2 or the car will upshift pretty rapidly. If that is the test you are after I'll give that a try (if I can find some dry pavement around here - mostly slippery surfaces after yesterday's snow).

Quick Reply: tiptronic shifting strategy