Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Collision Alert Disabling

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021 | 04:41 PM
dilnyc
2nd Gear

Default 2019 Cayenne Collision Alert Disabling

Hi, long time reader, first time poster... sorry if this is against protocol and/or if i am posting this in the wrong location.
Just bought a 2019 Cayenne Turbo. My Collision Alert has gone off a few times prematurely--quite jarring as the brakes just seize up temporarily. I tried to turn it off and can't make it a permanent turnoff. Dealer is saying i need to go in each time i turn on the car, double click through 4 screens and turn it off. I find that hard to believe. Has anyone been able to disable this permanently (and save it so that you don't have to turn it off each time)?
On the PCM, if i go into Settings, then Vehicle, then Assistance Systems, then Active Safe, i see two options: one is for Collision Alert and the other is for Distance Warning. I double click on Collision Alert and it offers my 4 choices: Early, Medium, Late, Off. i click off but it doesn't save.
Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks!
dilnyc
Old 11-12-2021 | 06:33 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on your new Turbo and welcome to the forum!

Your dealer is correct. From page 198 in your owner’s manual:

Your collision alert setting, Early, Medium, or Late will remain selected after ignition off. Only when you deactivate it with the OFF setting will it be reset.

Have you considered selecting LATE? If this setting is still frequently applying brakes, maybe the system is trying to tell you something. (Not judging) 😀

My system in a previous car saved me from rear-ending another car. The car in front of me swerved lanes to reveal a car stopped in my lane. The system applied maximum braking before I could put my foot on the pedal. I’m thankful I had auto-brakes.

True story: A buddy of mine was conducting pilot training with a new guy. The Gear Up landing gear warning horn is obnoxious and cannot be silenced during stall training, so he pulled the gear warning circuit breaker. You guessed it, he later landed the aircraft with the gear up and caused a couple million dollars damage to the aircraft. The system would have prevented the accident had he not disabled it.

Sorry if that sounded like a lecture. I’m done now! If you want a quick shortcut, the PAS is disabled when you turn off the Porsche Stability Management (PSM). That switch is located on the center console to the left of the Parking Brake switch. But that opens another can of worms. 😀

Last edited by Schnave; 11-13-2021 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-31-2021)
Old 11-13-2021 | 11:15 AM
kayjh
Drifting

I'd suggest if after adjusting the system by selecting "late" if it keeps going off, perhaps you follow too closely or the system isn't working properly? Mine has gone off twice (just the warning triangle) and both were appropriate. No intervention from the braking system. Maybe something is wrong with yours?
Old 11-13-2021 | 10:23 PM
dilnyc
2nd Gear

Thanks. It has gone off several times with no cars or people in front of me. Just randomly went off. It was raining and so i was told that might have triggered it. But that’s crazy—its going to cause an accident, not prevent one. I’m trying to turn it off (either by disabling Porsche Active Safe or, preferably, turning the Collision Alert setting (Early, Mid, Late, Off) to Off. I’m surprised that the Off isn’t permanent. It’s 4 clicks into the Settings—why would they make this just a temporary setting but make the Early, Mid, Late all permanent…. Something smells off. Not sure if anyone else is able to turn theirs to Off position and have it stay that way…. Would love to hear if anyone else is able to do this. Thanks! Rob
Old 11-13-2021 | 11:39 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

You make a good point about the safety aspect of random glitches triggering maximum braking.

Here’s an interesting thread from Audi World discussing false activation of the braking system. The Audi system uses the same technology as Porsche. It also allows disabling the system but reactivates each time the car is started. Must be a VAG thing.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ation-2927676/

Solutions included setting the sensitivity to LATE and others fixed it by recalibrating the front camera. One camera had to be replaced because of fingerprints deposited by a replacement windshield installer. Evidently, the cameras are very sensitive. Others on the thread are still plagued by the problem with no valid solution — sorry to say.

Another thread discussed how false braking is caused during heavy rain. This seems to be a limitation of the current technology.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/thr...vy-rain.13333/

Last edited by Schnave; 11-13-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Collision Alert Disabling