Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GLE vs Cayenne (GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021 | 11:17 AM
rj2014
Racer

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I am not in a rush so those dates can work for me.

So I guess GTS is the GT3 of cayenne and Turbo is 911 Turbo?

i have 3-4 turbos available around me but none of them have the hitch and none of them have the automatic cruise control. Which are non negotiable for me

Which specific dealers in those areas I should try and reach out?

Also is upgrading the sound system worth an option? Didnt want to create a separate thread for this as well.

I wouldn't compare it to a GT3 as thats a proper track car. GTS trims in Porsche are always going to be the more driver focussed, better handling ones(Not the quickest). In the case of Cayenne GTS, it sits 10mm lower than the regular S model and the software is tuned differently as well. This makes for a 10-15% compromise in ride quality but also gives it really good handling. Yes, you can always option an S with all the performance goodies like PDCC, RAS, PTV and Air suspension to mimic the GTS but you will not get the same type of tuning and the drama that you get with the GTS. The biggest downside IMO in configuring the S to mimic a GTS is the cost. You are already within $7-8k of GTS pricing and still wont have all the options the GTS comes with like the V8. Porsche also makes very few GTS models so they do tend to hold value better than the S ( Read somewhere that there is 1 GTS for every 10 S but don't hold me to it).

As of last week, Porsche Fairfield, Porsche Tysons corner and Ray Catena Porsche had build slots available for Nov with an expected delivery date of Jan 2022. I am sure there are more dealers with slots for that time period but discounts have been hard to come by. I spoke to a bunch of dealers and the best I got was 2% off on a custom GTS build.

Last edited by rj2014; 07-20-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2021 | 12:21 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Thank you.

What makes GTS livelier/sportier than the S model? Does GTS have certain drivetrain components that are only specific to it? Couldnt you configure an S with PTV and PDCC etc but it would just be 100 hp less?
The GTS has different suspension tuning (including front end settings) than the S and the air suspension is firmer than a Cayenne S with air suspension. I believe the steering on the GTS is "quicker" as well. You can tell when you drive them back to back that "turn in" is quicker on the GTS and the vehicle is just more responsive. Finally, the GTS drive power is more biased to the rear wheels so you get more "power on steering" from that model. I suspect there will be less understeer on slippery surfaces.

In comfort mode, the Cayenne S with air suspension has a modest amount of ride "float" in comfort mode while the GTS barely has any. The GTS just feels more "buttoned down".

You can configure the S with PTV and PDCC (requires air suspension). I drove one configured that way and I'd say it cornered as flat or flatter than the GTS but it wasn't as responsive as the GTS in the handling department. It was excellent though.

I almost picked the S but once optioned the cost was within $10,000 of the GTS and the low end torque, effortless acceleration, razor sharp handling and almost silent exhaust system at steady cruising (city and highway) along with the smoothness of the engine won me over. I didn't find the S underpowered. Both vehicles are very fast and have more power than one would use on a daily basis. The GTS actually has 19 HP more than the S.

Last edited by kayjh; 07-20-2021 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mvmojo (01-29-2022)
Old 07-20-2021 | 07:58 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Hi forum,

Need some advice on what will be the first SUV purchase. I’m a bit of weird guy, currently daily drive a GT350 that has 70,000 miles (including snow driving), I also own a C7 ZR1 (manual) and a 991.2 GT3RS.

The GT350 worked for the past 5 years but now my kid has grown much taller and doesnt like the back seat much (but still loves it so much that she wont let me sell it) plus we got into biking as a family so I need a hitch.

GT350 is used by my wife about 60% of the time (she puts all the city miles, I put all the highway ones).

We looked at all the SUVs and initially settled in at a GLE 450. But our factory order keeps getting pushed back and a test drive in a base cayenne kick started bunch of research/conversations where we are now considering Cayenne GTS.

The cayenne is going to be $50,000 more than the GLE. Our GLE build is at $80,000 and I configured a cayenne thats around $132,000. Maybe its not a fair comparison as they are different cars but I wanted to get some thoughts on:

- Given my current stable, with the assumption that we keep the GT350, does it make sense to pay extra for the GTS?
- I read all the comments and watched all the videos about how good the GTS is and how connected it is, etc. What I dont know is whether these comments are from people who own more normal cars and they find GTS that good or are there those of you who own similar cars to mine and gts still impresses you?
- Lastly, while I understand GLE is a totally different car, would be curious to find out what everyone thought of it if they owned one in the past.

Why I am not considering the AMG models you may ask? Thats because Mercedes is a substantially larger car and they never manage to get a sport car right. I havent ridden in one that handles or does things right. For us, they are a luxury brand and truly the multimedia, console, fit and finish are second to none. Its like they are in a different class on their own from a luxury perspective.

But…. then it rides like a boat and while we are tired of stiff riding cars and want something more comfortable, we are not sure if cayenne gts is plenty comfortable or in other words gle will be too comfortable.

Thank you
I agree with your opinions about Mercedes Benz sports cars and SUVs. The Cayenne in every version is better than any Benz 350/450 GLE. I have a different take on this than other posters especially since its your first SUV. Since you already own two performance cars, maybe you should just save the added cash and just get a base Cayenne, which can be had nicely optioned for about the same cost as the GLE Benz which is not in the same league . Its not really giving up anything performance-wise in likely 90% of your driving. The S and GTS are a lot faster if you really stopm on them but how oftern will you really do that in an SUC=V?The base Cayenne really has more than enough performance for its purpose and for all but Porsche snobs with some performance options its much the same car as a GTS or Turbo. Just get any of the 21 inch wheels to get the body color painted fender extensions and maybe the black trim package and the appearance is virtually the same. You can even get the Coupe if you want it to look more sporty but since your other car is space challenged why give up the extra space and utility that the standard version has. They drive the same and you will never see the difference when you are in the car.
Good luck with your choice. Any current Cayenne model is a good choice.

ProfD (07-20-2021)
Old 07-21-2021 | 12:07 AM
Hodog16
4th Gear

The GLE is a nice middle of the road SUV but it stirs no emotion in my mind. I'd go Cayenne over GLE but not sure you have to go bonkers for a GTS haha.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 07-21-2021 | 12:00 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

What exactly are the differences between S and GTS? I am aware of:

- The V8
- 20 mm lower ride height
- Visual differences

But besides these, could you configure the S with the same packages as GTS like PTV, PDCC, RWS, etc?
Old 07-21-2021 | 12:29 PM
rj2014
Racer

- The V8
- Visual differences

But besides these, could you configure the S with the same packages as GTS like PTV, PDCC, RWS, etc?
Ride height is 10mm lower and more importantly, the suspension tuning is different. You cannot get S tuned like a GTS although you can try to get close by adding ptv, pdcc, rws.
Old 07-21-2021 | 12:49 PM
kayjh
Drifting

- The V8
- Visual differences

The PSE is tuned differently for GTS and the GTS comes standard with air suspension and full leather interior, clear taillights, 21" Spyder RS in black. For me the crisp handling and smoother engine were selling points. And if things like PSE, Full leather, Sport Design Package, Air Suspension, clear tail lights are on your option list when looking at an S then you are too close to the cost of a GTS to not pick that model.

I optioned an S (with the GTS options, including Sport Design) and it came out at $131,000 CAD. The first lightly equipped GTS I looked at was $138,000 CAD. So, from a trade (resale) value, down the road, a highly optioned S sitting beside a GTS would keep sitting, unless the buyer was looking for better fuel economy.

If you option an S with light equipment (including air suspension) you can get away with $118,000 CAD. In that case, the S is a good option.

Last edited by kayjh; 07-21-2021 at 12:50 PM.
mvmojo (01-29-2022)
Old 07-21-2021 | 01:49 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

The V167 GLE is experiencing a miserable launch. Read mbworld for details.

Don’t buy an MB with a 48V hybrid system. The battery is a flop. This means the GLE450, GLE580, AMG GLE53 and I think also the AMG GLE63.

E-Class and CLS-Class owners are also having problems with the 48V system.

This leaves the base GLE350 as the only non-48V model in the GLE lineup.
Old 07-21-2021 | 03:35 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
The PSE is tuned differently for GTS and the GTS comes standard with air suspension and full leather interior, clear taillights, 21" Spyder RS in black. For me the crisp handling and smoother engine were selling points. And if things like PSE, Full leather, Sport Design Package, Air Suspension, clear tail lights are on your option list when looking at an S then you are too close to the cost of a GTS to not pick that model.

I optioned an S (with the GTS options, including Sport Design) and it came out at $131,000 CAD. The first lightly equipped GTS I looked at was $138,000 CAD. So, from a trade (resale) value, down the road, a highly optioned S sitting beside a GTS would keep sitting, unless the buyer was looking for better fuel economy.

If you option an S with light equipment (including air suspension) you can get away with $118,000 CAD. In that case, the S is a good option.
This might just the rookie me here as I am not experienced understanding Porsche options but if GTS comes with full leather standard, why are there two options $2900 and $4200 respectively for full leather dashboard (one of them is exclusive manifaktur)?
Old 07-21-2021 | 08:05 PM
Fattony001
Intermediate

I have 3 AMGs (1 ML63 and 1 G63)
and went to Mercedes to trade my ML for the new GLE.
Tried the GLE350 , 450 and the 53AMG.
Tried Cayenne base - S and Turbo
For me the GLE350 is a no no. No power at all. Way to heavy for that engine.
I found the 450 more equal to the base cayenne. But would choose Base Cayenne.
the GLE450 is more equal to Cayenne S. Still choose the S.
And found the 53AMG fun for the sound but not for overall choose. Has
i find its not a real AMG. (Only 63 models get that big performance)

and finally bought the 2019 Cayenne Turbo. Its my 1st Porsche. Its awesome SUV and brand.

i would consider the GTS in your situation. Plus it has a Good depreciation value against those GLE model.
good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by Fattony001:
chassis (07-21-2021), daveo4porsche (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021 | 09:35 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

3-pedals (OP)- why dont u just ask your salesman these questions and take one out for a drive? I remember that cluster​​-F of a thread u started in the 991 GT3 forum last year that led to 200+ posts with most of us getting pretty frustrated with you-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/reviews/amp33005110/2021-porsche-cayenne-gts-coupe-drive/

https:/www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-porsche-cayenne-gts-test-drive-review/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-porsche-cayenne-gts-test-drive-review/amp/

Last edited by Fang911; 07-21-2021 at 09:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fang911:
3-Pedals (07-22-2021), Tedster (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021 | 10:23 PM
kayjh
Drifting

This might just the rookie me here as I am not experienced understanding Porsche options but if GTS comes with full leather standard, why are there two options $2900 and $4200 respectively for full leather dashboard (one of them is exclusive manifaktur)?
Full leather doesn’t mean everything is covered. A base Cayenne starts with leather seating surfaces with and faux leather surfaces everywhere else. The Full Leather or Leather interior option puts leather on all seatings surfaces, added leather to the dash and some door parts. The GTS has this as standard. After that you can add additional packages such as grab handles, steering column, seat bases, etc.
3-Pedals (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021 | 10:15 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
Full leather doesn’t mean everything is covered. A base Cayenne starts with leather seating surfaces with and faux leather surfaces everywhere else. The Full Leather or Leather interior option puts leather on all seatings surfaces, added leather to the dash and some door parts. The GTS has this as standard. After that you can add additional packages such as grab handles, steering column, seat bases, etc.
Understood, thank you
Old 07-23-2021 | 12:14 AM
s85b50
Racer

Thank you.

What makes GTS livelier/sportier than the S model? Does GTS have certain drivetrain components that are only specific to it? Couldnt you configure an S with PTV and PDCC etc but it would just be 100 hp less?
S is down by 20ps, not 100hp.
Old 07-23-2021 | 10:34 AM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Thank you.

Basically you need to drive them and then decide.
When I purchased my panamera sport Turismo 4s, I too contemplated the gts but the increased cost didn't make sense to me when comparing the numbers. Boy, was I wrong. The panamera is a great vehicle, but boy do i HATE the V6. The gutless low end torque and vacuum cleaner sounding exhaust is disappointing to say the least. I am so looking forward to my gts arriving in a few weeks. I made a big mistake the first time, I won't this time around.
I believe I fell into the first timer Porsche buyer trap. Got the 4S because it looked like a deal compared to the GTS. Fell for the design, quality, handling and now I can't leave. Next car is going to be GTS or Turbo. They GOT me good.

Last edited by CanuckGT4; 07-23-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: GLE vs Cayenne (GTS)