Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Upgrading to GTS or Turbo?. PLease read

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

I would normally agree that the GTS is the sweet spot, but the Turbo gets you into sub 4 second range to 60 and there’s a different sensation you get when you accelerate that fast. Turbo is worth it to me. I had a triple black Macan Turbo that I upgraded from and while it’s not something I’d order (bought off lot), I grew to love it especially all clean. Very imposing looking, so I can only imagine how awesome a black Cayenne Turbo would look.

Last edited by c1pher; 07-24-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:45 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

As some shared above the GTS is much more focused and nimble with noticeably quicker steering. Current GTS has PDCC. Previous 2019 turbo did not and handling suffered in comparison. Ride quality is actually a little better in the GTS with identical 21” wheels and tires. it’s fair to say the turbo is more of a luxury vehicle with massive power. GTS is the better performance driver and still quick but obviously detuned. Porsche is so well versed in this.. reminds of the 944T vs 911/964 in the 80s and the current GT4 vs GT3 platforms.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:41 PM
kevsim
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Update

I ended up going with the Turbo.. and wow is this thing fast and quiet.. you touch the gas to pass on the freeway and your uncle at 160km/hr.lol

thanks for everyone’s input, I really couldn’t go wrong with either ..

I’ll attach some pics.

The following 3 users liked this post by kevsim:
c1pher (07-25-2021), daveo4porsche (07-24-2021), niedae (08-04-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 12:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

congrats - you'll love it.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:43 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

beautiful - congrats. Love the color combo!
Old 07-25-2021, 03:32 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by kevsim
Update

I ended up going with the Turbo.. and wow is this thing fast and quiet.. you touch the gas to pass on the freeway and your uncle at 160km/hr.lol

thanks for everyone’s input, I really couldn’t go wrong with either ..

I’ll attach some pics.

Sport response is your friend.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:43 PM
kevsim
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it’s incredible.. they thru in tint and windshield protection, plus swapped the rims over to theses one.. I prefer the 21” and this style compared to the 22” black ones they had on it.

it’s a big purchase but I’m loving it and it doesn’t get much better than this for SUVs..

now the fun times begin, I’m doing a ceramic coating this week.. 😊 I did it on my last one and I can believe the shine you get on black cars with ceramic coating.. crazy . I will do it to every car I ever own..

thanks again for everyone’s input. 👍
Old 07-30-2021, 06:51 PM
gkellys
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

SWEET!!!
I went with the Turbo as well. Had a 17 GTS. The power is addictive.Would be difficult to ever go back and settle for less.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:31 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great choice. The Turbo is a beast I didn’t have a chance to respond prior to your purchase. I have a 2019 Cayenne Turbo loaded with all the performance goodies, and I just bought my wife a 2021 Cayene GTS, so I have a pretty good idea of the pro’s and cons. And let me just say that there really aren’t any cons. However, when I drive hers in town, I love it more than mine... it seems to be geared or tuned a little more aggressively in the lower rpms with slightly different shift points and feels peppy, and the exhaust beats my PSE on the turbo. She has the same interior as you (cudo’s... it’s gorgeous) and 22” rims which do look amazing.

We drive a fair bit on the highway... weekends to our cabin in Alberta (fellow Canadian here) and when driving hers I do miss the absolutely ferocious accelleration of my Turbo. It is bonkers. The GTS is awesome and perfectly capable, but you have to wind it out a little more to get the goods. My Turbo feels absolutely endless when it comes to power delivery and makes passing on those single lane backroads a thrilling experience. I love her GTS for the sporty exhaust, the low stance and the feel (can’t totally compare the handling as mine has RWS and hers doesn’t) but I couldn’t give up the power of my Turbo for the GTS.

So I feel you made a great choice. And your Coupe looks the biz as well. I’m also considering the new Turbo GT, but there’s no way that we’ll get it before Dec 31, when the 20% “luxury” tax kicks in, and with a price well north of $200,000 of our pathetic, weak-*** currency, that’ll tack $40-$50 thousand on the the cost of the vehicle, which is infuriating. And I won’t be doing that. I’ll keep my turbo most likely, which is fine with me, as I spec’d it straight from Porsche with all the goodies I wanted. I can live with that,.

Cheers and enjoy!!

Ross
Old 08-02-2021, 08:18 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 315 Posts

At a discount?
Buy it quick b4 somebody else does!
Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 214 Posts

For those of you who’ve driven / owned both the gts and turbo- will the turbo drive similarly to the GTS if optioned with all the performance options ie pdcc, ptv, rws, sport chrono? I would like the power of the turbo with the handling of the GTS (without tuning my car and voiding the warranty &#129324-
Old 08-03-2021, 03:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
For those of you who’ve driven / owned both the gts and turbo- will the turbo drive similarly to the GTS if optioned with all the performance options ie pdcc, ptv, rws, sport chrono? I would like the power of the turbo with the handling of the GTS (without tuning my car and voiding the warranty &#129324-
GTS will be stiffer and more sporty - but you can come close with turbo with right options - probably the turbo GT is closest it has the same 20 mm lowered suspension
Old 08-03-2021, 03:11 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
I think you'd get pretty close but why not order a Turbo GT? Unless you somehow need the extra room in the Cayenne suv version, the Turbo GT combines a Turbo in a GTS handling package.

While I didn't drive a turbo with those options, my impression of it (Turbo) is that it is tuned more for comfort than the GTS. PDCC, RWS and PTV will make the Turbo sharper but it doesn't have the revised front end geometry and the lower ride height of the GTS, nor the revised spring and dampening rates. So, I just don't think it would be as lively as the GTS. Finally, you wouldn't be comparing apples to apples. If you put RWS and PDCC on the turbo to make it more like a GTS, what do those options do to the GTS when added? See where I'm going with it?

Last edited by kayjh; 08-03-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:24 PM
gkellys
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed the Cargraphics Lowering module on my 20 Turbo. It lowered the car to around GTS, or maybe a touch lower, and definitely tightened up the cornering without sacrificing comfort. It is adjustable, may want to check it out. I have RWS, but not PDCC.

Last edited by gkellys; 08-03-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:42 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by gkellys
I installed the Cargraphics Lowering module on my 20 Turbo. It lowered the car to around GTS, or maybe a touch lower, and definitely tightened up the cornering without sacrificing comfort. It is adjustable, may want to check it out. I have RWS, but not PDCC.
Hadn't thought of that. I think all of these vehicles handle pretty good with these adjustments or options making them all the better. I still think the Turbo GT is the best of both worlds. Monster power of the Turbo for those who feel they need it and the handing bits of the GTS for those who like the sportier handling "out of the box".

Quick Reply: Upgrading to GTS or Turbo?. PLease read