Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Add roof rails or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 PM
Blindbat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been looking at used cayenne e hybrid for a while and noticed that around 40% of those available do not have roof rails.
As the cars do not have channels either there is currently no solution to fit a crossbar should you wish to.
Personally I think a cayenne is a working car I.e. if you need to carry something large you can, and if necessary put it on the roof. Would hate to come to the one day you need something up there but can't do it - after spending so much money you are limiting the use imho.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 172 Posts

I have had roof rails on all our Cayennes since 2004. Even with the occasional use of the cross rails I have never heard any wind noise from them, even with the sunroof open. Who told you they make noise? Also since they add maybe three square inches of frontal area and are sculpted smooth in front I doubt anyone could detect an aero difference on a car the size of a Cayenne.

We use our cayenne to go canoeing and I cannot imagine the damage to the roof if we did not have the rails. I just ordered a 2021 Cayenne base that is due to arrive in July and specified the roof rails again. I understand if you never will use them but the noise and aero issues are bogus..
Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Noise from roof box, not roof rails.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (05-02-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

Modern roof boxes are pretty aerodynamic as are the cross-bars. That is not to say there won't be any noise (there will) but when you couple that with the sound deadening in the vehicle, I haven't found the noise to be bad at all unless I open the pano. I think my tires make more noise. I also remove my box when not in use and so I don't forget about it and clip in in a parking structure... not that I have ever done that .

Pro tip on roof box storage: Ceiling mounted bike lifts are awesome for storing roof boxes. The one with hooks designed to go on the bike axel can be used to hook to the front and back of the box

Last edited by Miggytosh; 04-22-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add picts
The following 3 users liked this post by Miggytosh:
BallJack (04-23-2021), MaxLTV (04-22-2021), Tedster (04-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 01:40 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

That is some very impressive work Petza. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I would get them.

If your kids are young, soon you'll need the space. On our 958, I've only ever used the bars a handful of times to transport the Christmas tree. However, last year we got a dog, and on our vacation, needed to take her, plus a bunch of extra dog gear. Car was already maxed out. Roof box to the rescue! Shaved about 2 MPG and honestly, the wind noise even with the box on was very, very minimal. Box was rock stable and once I got used to it, I didn't worry about it. Hell, I even thought I'd take it off once we got to the rental house and then said "screw it" and drove around all week with it still attached. Literally a non-issue.

At some point when you go on vacation it'll come in handy. Or when you go to Home Depot. Or....

Old 04-23-2021, 06:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Miggytosh
Modern roof boxes are pretty aerodynamic as are the cross-bars. That is not to say there won't be any noise (there will) but when you couple that with the sound deadening in the vehicle, I haven't found the noise to be bad at all unless I open the pano. I think my tires make more noise. I also remove my box when not in use and so I don't forget about it and clip in in a parking structure... not that I have ever done that .

Pro tip on roof box storage: Ceiling mounted bike lifts are awesome for storing roof boxes. The one with hooks designed to go on the bike axel can be used to hook to the front and back of the box

I have that same exact lift for my Kayaks. Works great!
The following users liked this post:
shadetree_prjct (11-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Add roof rails or not?