Sponsored By:

Upgrading to PSE from Stock Exhaust on my 2019 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 09:57 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmet
i think it's a good question, and I will answer based on the market I am in and it probably applies to other markets
1- There might be no compatability between the GTS exhaust and Cayenne Turbo. I.e. The parts wouldn't actually fit the Turbo (most probably)
2- Retrofitting a porsche approved option (like the PSE) is done through the Porsche approved Tequipment program (with range of availavle upgrades), and the price for the upgrade is optimized vs buying the sum of the spare parts.
And since the gts comes with PSE as standard, Porsche offers no Tequipment gts PSE. And as such buying the GTS exhaust system spare parts (if they fit the Turbo) will probably be prohibitively expensive.
3- In that case it would be advisable to go through the after market route, which i haven't studied for my Cayenne, but I know there are good options out there (i upgraded my 718 spyder with JCR exhaust and it is fantastic)
Hope that helps
Why would they not fit though? Its the same engine, same downpipes and the rest of the exhaust connects to the exhaust hangers with bolts. I dont think the undercarriage of the cayenne will be so different between Turbo and GTS that those bolts/nuts will not line up.

It might be expensive yes, I think north of $6000-7000k but it will be Porsche OEM and if someone is spending $5000 for this, another $2000 might not be a big deal.

You would literally go to the Porsche OEM Parts catalog and pull the part numbers off of a GTS and order the exhaust system. You also probably wouldnt need to buy the long exhaust piping but just the muffler which could bring the cost down considerably. The exhaust consists of 3 sections, the downpipes with cats, the long X pipe (or whatever its called), and the muffler. You need the GTS muffler in the Turbo, simple as that.

The ActiveSound system (the thing that listens the exhaust and pipes it inside the car in real time) might be different in GTS and plus GTS has less sound deadening so it might never sound the same even with the GTS exhaust.

How different is the GTS over Turbo. I wish a side by side video could be recorded. Is it a drastic difference?
The following users liked this post:
swoobie (09-11-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 11:35 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Info from Porsche on retrofitting PSE.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10194793-0001.pdf (1.83 MB, 230 views)
The following users liked this post:
wutographydc (02-03-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:17 AM
INS4NE_B9
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

For those that have PSE on their Turbo, is it a pretty noticeable difference when you click the exhaust button? Just purchased one outfitted with PSE and didn't notice a difference when selecting the active exhaust button.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:40 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by INS4NE_B9
For those that have PSE on their Turbo, is it a pretty noticeable difference when you click the exhaust button? Just purchased one outfitted with PSE and didn't notice a difference when selecting the active exhaust button.
I think everyone's ear is a little different, and video clips are always a weak proxy for listening to engines revs live, but for an easy compare of PSE On versus Off, try listening to the second video clip in my original post #1 below. The first ~30 seconds of the video clip is PSE Off while the rest of the clip is PSE On. As I mentioned in post #7, I think that the BIGGEST difference in exhaust note for the 9Y0 Turbo is stock exhaust (which you can hear in the first video clip in post #1) vs PSE Off (the first 30 seconds of the second video clip), but the BEST sound is PSE On under hard acceleration! For an additional clip comparing PSE Off vs On, look up Schnave's post in a similar thread where he actually taped strings above the exhaust tips so you can actually see the difference in air flow as well as hear the difference.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by North Shore 911; 01-10-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:43 AM
INS4NE_B9
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I think everyone's ear is a little different, and video clips are always a weak proxy for listening to engines revs live, but for an easy compare of PSE On versus Off, try listening to the second video clip in my original post #1 below. The first ~30 seconds of the video clip is PSE Off while the rest of the clip is PSE On. As I mentioned in post #7, I think that the BIGGEST difference in exhaust note for the 9Y0 Turbo is stock exhaust vs PSE Off, but the BEST sound is PSE On under hard acceleration! For an additional clip comparing PSE Off vs On, look up Schnave's post in a similar thread where he actually taped strings above the exhaust tips so you can the difference in air flow as well as hear the difference.

Hope that helps!
Thanks a million!
Old 01-10-2023, 01:22 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Thanks for the shout out, North Shore 911. Agree that PSE makes biggest difference under load and at high RPM.

Here’s that video:

The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
hlee96 (05-21-2023), wutographydc (02-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Upgrading to PSE from Stock Exhaust on my 2019 Cayenne Turbo