Sponsored By:

E-hybrid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:12 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by David Mackintosh
True, and I believe in Sport and Sport+ mode the car will attempt to keep the SOC a little higher than in Hybrid mode. Also, although in normal driving when the indicated electric range is down to zero you'll still have some boost available for a pass, on-ramp, or exiting a couple of corners, there's not enough for much more than that. I've been able to deplete the battery rapidly on mountain roads and experienced a noticeable drop in peak power and torque until the SOC comes back up a bit. It would be nice if the display gave a little more information about what was available.

Most daily use of our car is within the range and speeds that allow us to not start the engine, it works well enough. I actually use (and prefer) my e-Golf for my commute (70 miles round-trip in the winter) and any trips up to around 100 miles when I don't want to cruise at more than 75mph or need to tow a trailer. My partner is more comfortable with the height and perceived safety of the Cayenne, it's perfect for her short daily drives and errands. She'd also prefer a BEV version, though. We're looking forward to the Macan EV. My choice would probably be the Taycan Cross Tourismo.
I really appreciate this thread. Thanks to all contributing. I'm back on the fence possibly briefly. Our build slot was locked on the interior and we could get the leather we wanted so I passed for now. So we now have a couple months to really think about this. I test drove a hybrid for the first time yesterday and have to ask a couple questions. Is there any way to have it default to sport plus all the time? And if so, will the battery 100% deplete and leave the car anemic until you take it out of sport plus or plug it in for a recharge? I just assumed the ICE motor would keep a good charge at all times, but got concerned when the test vehicle given me had just a 3 mile EV range at the time and it didn't increase during the test drive. I want the hybrid, or more to the point my wife REALLY wants the hybrid, but we both care about performance. I can't have the bottom falling out all the time. No concern here about mountain roads or such. All suburban driving and maybe the occasional road trip but nothing similar to the Rockies, we're east coast.

Last edited by ProgRockJunkie; 05-07-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:01 PM
RichLA
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"what happens when the battery is depleted? Are you basically left with a sluggish overweight base Cayenne"

We have a 2018 and before that 2016. My answer is yes. I believe the HP claims were misleading because the two systems never worked together or did not when the battery was depleted. Calling the 2018 Hybrid an S was misleading. For 2021 I understand that the systems are working together. That said we love the cars and are planning to order 2022. We drive very often on battery in the city. The ICE is very strong. But I can't really compare our hybrid to the Cayenne S.

Last edited by RichLA; 05-07-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:00 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Is there any way to have it default to sport plus all the time?
@icspres

No - due to fuel emissions regulations the vehicle will default to it's EPA certified configuration upon starting the vehicle.

And if so, will the battery 100% deplete and leave the car anemic until you take it out of sport plus or plug it in for a recharge?
no it does not seem to be the case - there is always some back and forth between the gas motor, regen braking, and the battery -such that you always seem to have a little bit of battery for quick "extra" power - it's really quite clever - and worse use you revert to the "base" performance of the Porsche motor - and Porsche motor's don't suck.

but got concerned when the test vehicle given me had just a 3 mile EV range at the time and it didn't increase during the test drive. I want the hybrid, or more to the point my wife REALLY wants the hybrid, but we both care about performance. I can't have the bottom falling out all the time. No concern here about mountain roads or such. All suburban driving and maybe the occasional road trip but nothing similar to the Rockies, we're east coast.
my experience is it's pretty good actually and there seems to alway be enough excess power running around in the system such that while it won't top the battery off it will give it some juice to "play back" later so that you have the extra EV power when you want it briefly.
The following users liked this post:
Oileater (01-13-2024)
Old 05-09-2021, 10:52 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
@icspres

No - due to fuel emissions regulations the vehicle will default to it's EPA certified configuration upon starting the vehicle.

no it does not seem to be the case - there is always some back and forth between the gas motor, regen braking, and the battery -such that you always seem to have a little bit of battery for quick "extra" power - it's really quite clever - and worse use you revert to the "base" performance of the Porsche motor - and Porsche motor's don't suck.

my experience is it's pretty good actually and there seems to alway be enough excess power running around in the system such that while it won't top the battery off it will give it some juice to "play back" later so that you have the extra EV power when you want it briefly.
Thanks for this. Given the fact that we declined our E Hybrid slot because the interior was already locked, and given this feedback, we've decided to buy a 2016 Turbo S instead. Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:51 PM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yacom1118
Stupid question: how do you know when the engine is "fully warm"?
There’s a temperature/pressure gauge in the window to the right of the tachometer. Turn the **** on the right side of the wheel to find it.
The following 2 users liked this post by sidehill:
Russian Mafia (05-10-2021), yacom1118 (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

I would add that even in full electric mode the engine coolant and oil warms up as you drive. I wouldn't go from full electric to sport+ 3K+ revs out of the gate but when you go into hybrid, sport or sport+ after the battery is depleted too much to be electric only, the ICE is ready to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Miggytosh:
Russian Mafia (05-10-2021), yacom1118 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:14 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

Battery depletion isn't a valid reason to not purchase an E-Hybrid. I get the concern but in the real world it's happened once during my first year of ownership when I'd gotten the car back from service and they'd dropped the ball and gave me back an empty battery. Once one dials into sport or sport + there's negligible draw on the battery. If I draw down to say a third on E, or hybid, I shift into S or S+ and there's no issue, the battery remains about at that level. The way the E Hybrid workks may seem daunting to a prospective owner so wanted to make this clear. After getting to know my E Hybrid I'd have a hard time passing on battery power in a Cayenne type vehicle. The drivetrain performance is amazing.

Last edited by Russian Mafia; 05-10-2021 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
Miggytosh (05-10-2021), yacom1118 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:04 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by yacom1118
Stupid question: how do you know when the engine is "fully warm"?
Not a stupid question. You’ll get a feel for this monitoring the temperature gauge. It varies based on ambient temp, altitude, etc. For me it’s somewhere between 185F and 205F.
The following users liked this post:
yacom1118 (05-16-2021)

Quick Reply: E-hybrid question