Sponsored By:

Thermal glass and radar detector use

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:35 AM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Thermal glass and radar detector use

This may be well understood but thought I'd post anyway. Just got back from a trip to socal and back on hwy 101 where in the past my V1 detector has been very reliable in picking up KA signals. KA is what the CHP have been using for at least as long as I've had the V1 - 12 years or so. This was my first trip in the new CS with insulated glass and the V1 was pretty much useless. A couple times it thought there was something behind me even though in reality it was up ahead (maybe the rear window isn't insulated and the radar bounced around to the back?). Generally it didn't pick up anything. I placed it both in the center of the windshield and in the toll tag spot. So either 1) radar detectors are useless with insulated glass, 2) my old v1 isn't powerful enough or 3) CHP doesn't use KA at all anymore. Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2020, 12:51 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you have the heated windshield option? The rear view signal only notification sounds like exactly what happens when you put a radar detector up against a heated windshield.

Thermal Insulated Windows option shouldn't impact radar performance much if at all. All Thermal windows are is a double pane - most big luxury sedans have double pane windows as standard these days.

The heated windshield is an actual metallic material added to the front windshield, which will block radar signals from detectors as well as transponders. While I haven't seen Porsche's heated windshield, every other car that I've seen with a heated windshield will have a "cutout" that allows signals to go through. If you take a flashlight and shine through the windshield, you should be able to find it.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:20 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by obbob
Do you have the heated windshield option? The rear view signal only notification sounds like exactly what happens when you put a radar detector up against a heated windshield.
Interesting, no I don't have the heated windshield.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 PM
mjd500
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 20 Cayenne S with insulated windows(no heated windshield) running my old, but updated, Valentine One. The Valentine is mounted high on the windshield
to the left of the mirror and have had no decrease in Valentine's great performance.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:17 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjd500
Have a 20 Cayenne S with insulated windows(no heated windshield) running my old, but updated, Valentine One. The Valentine is mounted high on the windshield
to the left of the mirror and have had no decrease in Valentine's great performance.
Great to hear, thanks! Maybe time for me to send mine in for an upgrade.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:18 AM
lloyd_christmas
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Drove up I-5 from SoCal to NorCal last weekend with my Uniden R7 and passed a CHP on the side of the road sitting out of his car pointing a detector at oncoming traffic...not a peep out of my R7. The remainder of the trip, I got several accurate alerts.

Takeaway is that I think CHP may be selectively using laser now.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:28 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lloyd_christmas
Drove up I-5 from SoCal to NorCal last weekend with my Uniden R7 and passed a CHP on the side of the road sitting out of his car pointing a detector at oncoming traffic...not a peep out of my R7. The remainder of the trip, I got several accurate alerts.

Takeaway is that I think CHP may be selectively using laser now.
Yes, found a related discussion here. CHP no longer leaving their radar turned on and greater use of laser.

https://www.rdforum.org/threads/84082/

Quick Reply: Thermal glass and radar detector use