Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Base coming...Apple Carplay question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 07:50 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Base coming...Apple Carplay question

Second post, searched for up to date info on whether or not Carplay is wireless enabled in the 2019 MY cars. SA at the dealer here told me it was in 2020, but I did not have the opportunity to ask him about 2019 (my car coming from an out of town dealer). I know he was telling me it (wireless Carplay) runs off the car wifi, which is a subscription service?? Again not sure if this applies to 2019, and/or if it is a software thing that happens when car software is updated. Car is coming from California to me, and haven't arranged details just yet as to delivery time. Car is Quartzite Grey w/ slate leather, premium pckg, deletion of model desig, 21' Cayenne design wheels, vent seats, clear tail lights, alum finish roof rails, ext mirrors painted and ventilated front seats. Thanks for any replies.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:22 PM
NelsonLee
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Picked up my car this weekend, can confirm Apple Car Play works via Bluetooth (2021) but I would think if the software is up to date that it should work.

Last edited by NelsonLee; 11-15-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:52 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

2019 Cayenne's do not have Wireless CarPlay. Your choices are:
- Enjoy pretty decent functionality via Blueooth and voice control
- Use the wired CarPlay (you have to plug in a cable each time)
- Get a wireless CarPlay USB-dongle (think of it as a wireless to wired CarPlay converter)

This is what I set up to get wireless CarPlay and wireless charging in my wife's 2019 Cayenne S:

Qi charger with a short right-angle USB cable from Amazon, and Carlinkit CarPlay dongle

Last edited by runbuh; 11-15-2020 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
porscheskier (07-18-2022)
Old 11-15-2020, 11:17 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by runbuh
- Get a wireless CarPlay USB-dongle (think of it as a wireless to wired CarPlay converter)

This is what I set up to get wireless CarPlay and wireless charging in my wife's 2019 Cayenne S:

Qi charger with a short right-angle USB cable from Amazon, and Carlinkit CarPlay dongle
so when you say enjoy pretty decent functionality via BT and voice control, you mean just using the apps that stream music via BT such as spotify, pandora, etc without starting Carplay?
Old 11-15-2020, 11:21 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by NelsonLee
Picked up my car this weekend, can confirm Apple Car Play works via Bluetooth (2021) but I would think if the software is up to date that it should work.
CarPlay initially connects via Bluetooth, but it requires WiFi and Bluetooth to function. You can see this by watching what happens after you connect your phone to wireless CarPlay, and then cut off WiFi on your iPhone.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:35 AM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by LoopGaroo
so when you say enjoy pretty decent functionality via BT and voice control, you mean just using the apps that stream music via BT such as spotify, pandora, etc without starting Carplay?
You can also fully utilize Siri. Make a phone call, send a text message, etc, all hands free.

I think there are two main downsides, both involve using your iPhone for navigation. Without CarPlay, the map displays on your phone. With CarPlay, the map will display on the PCM screen. Additionally, without CarPlay, the audio for these apps may not come over the car's sound system unless you have the car's media source set to your phone (I am not 100% sure about this - never tested it). If you want to listen to the radio, or some other music source in the car, then you'll miss the audio prompts from your iPhone's nav app. However, if your favorite source of music is your iPhone, then you probably don't care.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:43 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Would you mind posting a link, picking up a 2019 on friday and interested in this. Not to go off subject but where and how do most place a cell phone holder so you can see your phone.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:36 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Would you mind posting a link, picking up a 2019 on friday and interested in this. Not to go off subject but where and how do most place a cell phone holder so you can see your phone.
I forgot to mention earlier, but congrats on your Cayenne.

If you are going to use CarPlay (wired or wireless), the PCM screen becomes your phone's screen. That's why I have the wireless charger embedded in the center console - put the phone in the console and shut the lid. It's not a functional as the Porsche wireless charging that you can get on the newer E3 Cayennes, but it does at least give you a place to put the phone that also charges it.

Wireless CarPlay dongle (comes with a short cable):
Amazon Amazon

Wireless charger (note: I use a Spigen TPU case, and my phone does not slide around on this pad - your mileage may vary):
Amazon Amazon

I bought both sets of these in order to get a short cable to use with the wireless charger, and I am not sure which actual cable I used.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by runbuh; 11-16-2020 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 10:39 PM
Terry Zheng
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wireless carplay is available now
Old 11-17-2020, 02:24 AM
NelsonLee
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

CarPlay initially connects via Bluetooth, but it requires WiFi and Bluetooth to function. You can see this by watching what happens after you connect your phone to wireless CarPlay, and then cut off WiFi on your iPhone.
WiFi or cellular?
Old 11-17-2020, 02:55 AM
Terry Zheng
Track Day

Originally Posted by NelsonLee
WiFi or cellular?
I think paired by bluetooth, transfer by wifi
Old 11-17-2020, 05:09 AM
Terry Zheng
Track Day

Paired by Bluetooth, transferred by wifi
Old 11-17-2020, 09:27 AM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry Zheng
wireless carplay is available now
OP has a 2019 Cayenne, which does not have wireless CarPlay capabilities, and likely never will (from Porsche)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:32 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention earlier, but congrats on your Cayenne.

If you are going to use CarPlay (wired or wireless), the PCM screen becomes your phone's screen. That's why I have the wireless charger embedded in the center console - put the phone in the console and shut the lid. It's not a functional as the Porsche wireless charging that you can get on the newer E3 Cayennes, but it does at least give you a place to put the phone that also charges it.

Wireless CarPlay dongle (comes with a short cable):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wireless charger (note: I use a Spigen TPU case, and my phone does not slide around on this pad - your mileage may vary):

I bought both sets of these in order to get a short cable to use with the wireless charger, and I am not sure which actual cable I used.
How's the Carlinkit? Seeing mixed reviews on Amazon. Have you noticed any lag or audio quality degradation compared to a wired Carplay connection?

Also can confirm that 2019 does not have wireless Carplay.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 754 Posts

I wonder if this could be achieved by coding. Even Android auto is listed on PIWIS 3

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Base coming...Apple Carplay question