Sponsored By:

Newbie questions from a former BMW owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 08:10 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Newbie questions from a former BMW owner

I tried searching, and I tried reading the owner's manual, but haven't found answers to the following (and I bought the car used):

- If I want my settings associated with my key (not just seats and mirrors), and if I want my wife's settings associated with her key, do we both need Porsche Connect accounts? In the current BMW world, both drivers should have BMW Connect accounts (yes - they use the same name for the service).

- If over-the-air updates are enabled, are most/all infotainment (or other?) updates delivered over the air? Or just things like Maps? In my 2020 5-series, only one user-selected region of the US was updated over the air. Any other updates required a trip to the dealer. From what I can tell, there are definitely updates that need to be handled by the dealer, so I was curious what was generally provided over the air.

I'm in the US, if that helps...
Old 10-03-2020, 11:14 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by runbuh
I tried searching, and I tried reading the owner's manual, but haven't found answers to the following (and I bought the car used):

- If I want my settings associated with my key (not just seats and mirrors), and if I want my wife's settings associated with her key, do we both need Porsche Connect accounts? In the current BMW world, both drivers should have BMW Connect accounts (yes - they use the same name for the service).

- If over-the-air updates are enabled, are most/all infotainment (or other?) updates delivered over the air? Or just things like Maps? In my 2020 5-series, only one user-selected region of the US was updated over the air. Any other updates required a trip to the dealer. From what I can tell, there are definitely updates that need to be handled by the dealer, so I was curious what was generally provided over the air.

Maybe the attached image information can help?

Old 10-04-2020, 10:38 AM
runbuh
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Maybe the attached image information can help?
Thank you. It doesn't really spell things out to dain bramaged folks like myself, but it forced me to just go poke around.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (10-04-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:07 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by runbuh

my wife has her driver profile set to her key, and my key is associated with my profile. Both are under the same Porsche Connect account (mine).

It seems that most of the software updates primarily revolve around the Nav maps. In the BMW realm, the software updates were primarily around bluetooth and phone updates. Software updates that were non-media related were still done at dealer, I imagine this is similar in Porsche's world (and not Tesla)
The following 2 users liked this post by chong0:
PorscheACC (10-07-2020), runbuh (10-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Newbie questions from a former BMW owner