Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transmission Lurging in Sports Mode Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:35 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Bump for an older thread. My '21 S does what they call in this thread "lurging" (I learned a new word! well it's not actually a word, but whatever) but it's quite noticeable in Sport mode when the transmission shifts from 2 to 1. I've been keeping it in Sport mode so I'm not sure if it's only in Sport mode or not. It seems the WKK2 recall shouldn't apply to a brand-new car, but maybe they only fix it if you complain about it? Or do other people feel this surge and ignore it? It's a pretty strong pull forward at about 5mph or so when coming to a stop.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:28 AM
MikeCar33
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icemang
Bump for an older thread. My '21 S does what they call in this thread "lurging" (I learned a new word! well it's not actually a word, but whatever) but it's quite noticeable in Sport mode when the transmission shifts from 2 to 1. I've been keeping it in Sport mode so I'm not sure if it's only in Sport mode or not. It seems the WKK2 recall shouldn't apply to a brand-new car, but maybe they only fix it if you complain about it? Or do other people feel this surge and ignore it? It's a pretty strong pull forward at about 5mph or so when coming to a stop.
Yup, I have 21 GTS and have the same issue, only in Sport mode, normal mode it doesn't happen. In normal it seems to not downshift all the way to first gear until you're at full complete stop, while in Sport it'll downshift to first at about 5 mph like you say. Interesting to see this thread, I just assumed the aggressive downshift in Sport was normal, but clearly it isn't, definitely having this corrected.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:37 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

It sounds like it's caused by rev matching downshifts that aren't quite a rev matched.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:16 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Sorry about my new jargon "lurging".. Just getting old and some things sound just right but they aren't.. :-)

Back to the "lurching" issue.. Even though the WWK2 does not describe a fix, it has been fixed for my case and other friends with the same issue..

Now, braking is a very smooth/normal action, compared to what it was.. Definitely, they know how to fix it.. It was quite an annoying issue that caused your braking to be a couple of feet longer if you didn't compensate..

Old 04-12-2021, 08:44 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

took wifes 19 s in for this issue last week, they said it was normal in sport mode

we put it in normal mode and it didn't do it at all so we shrugged our shoulders and came home
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Yet in this thread the guy was able to get it dealt with. When I get a minute I'm gonna see about pursuing this. Unfortunately that won't be until June because of some other stuff going on but whatever, it's on my agenda and I'll report back.

I was paying more attention to it today, it actually happens as the car slows from 8 mph to 7, and as the transmission shifts from 2 to 1. It almost seems like there's engine braking in 2 that is released in 1, the car's not so much surging forward (or "lurging"), it's that a braking force is released and thus the car feels like it's surging. The WKK2 discussed above recall has to do with TPMS, maybe it's an actual braking force being applied by ABS because of a TPMS error? Not sure.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:59 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Yet in this thread the guy was able to get it dealt with. When I get a minute I'm gonna see about pursuing this. Unfortunately that won't be until June because of some other stuff going on but whatever, it's on my agenda and I'll report back.

I was paying more attention to it today, it actually happens as the car slows from 8 mph to 7, and as the transmission shifts from 2 to 1. It almost seems like there's engine braking in 2 that is released in 1, the car's not so much surging forward (or "lurging"), it's that a braking force is released and thus the car feels like it's surging. The WKK2 discussed above recall has to do with TPMS, maybe it's an actual braking force being applied by ABS because of a TPMS error? Not sure.
My experience was different..

I was braking at a constant rate, and when my vehicle was down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear, there was a down shift accompanied by an acceleration, which caused the vehicle to lurch forward a couple more feet forward than you were expecting when you started braking at a constant rate..

And, I just came from my dealer for a warranty repair on a hard clunking issue, and I noticed that my Porsche dealer did not put the final repair action description in the final receipt, but it put other changes that were not part of the problem. It explained it to me in large detail, but that information was never added to the repair receipt.

In short, the fix may not be the WKK2 update, but Porsche knew the correct fix for the lurching issue and performed it, but they did not added the fix detail in the receipt..

And, I just experienced that drop of documention case in my last warranty repair, this week. Maybe, that is why Porsche dealers say they never heard about the problem before?

It would be strange, too, that many of my friends with the same lurching issue got a complete fix after describing the problem to the dealer.

I had that lurching problem for 20,000+ miles, so I really was very familiar and aggravated by it.. Night and day difference when braking..

I am very satisfied with my 2019 Cayenne S and with my Porsche dealer service and response. Awesome vehicle to drive.. Just the right size, too..

Last edited by PorscheACC; 04-13-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:38 PM
austincarowner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Filed a complaint with NHTSA

I would encourage all of you experience the lurging / lurching issue to file a complaint with the NHTSA (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). This problem that they refuse to acknowledge is even a problem, let alone fix in North America, is a safety issue to pedestrians as well as drivers in non-ideal driving conditions. Unfortunately the threat of government mandated recalls and costly legal burden put on Porsche is likely the only way we'll get them to take any accountability for this car defect.

The NHTSA form takes <5 minutes to complete. When asked "What part of your vehicle was affected", I selected "Brakes" and "Power Train". Again, you can file a complaint easily here -> https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 04-29-2021, 04:35 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

I believe it's the exact same issue as described/discussed in the "Rough Downshifting" thread, just different ways of describing/experiencing it. austincarowner Im going to copy your post over into that thread.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:45 PM
FarHills
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This is exactly what I get on my '21 S! It's as if I press the brake pedal harder for a second, causing a small nosedive, then release it to less than original effort. My wife gets motion sick and it's very hard to bring the car to a stop smoothly. My fix has been to slightly overbrake before 10mph mark, then let the pedal go about 1/4 of the effort to make the "brake-force-release" bug described above less noticeable.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:14 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...72074-0001.pdf
Old 09-14-2021, 10:07 PM
musammir
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

still suffering with this issue and i have no idea what to do - porsche reset my tranny so it can relearn my driving but hasn’t solved this issue. taking it in again next week. anyone else have luck getting this fixed?
Old 09-14-2021, 11:10 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by musammir
still suffering with this issue and i have no idea what to do - porsche reset my tranny so it can relearn my driving but hasn’t solved this issue. taking it in again next week. anyone else have luck getting this fixed?
I had this issue on my 2019 base car. It drove me nuts, but it got less noticeable when the car's mileage climbed to the 25k or so mark. In normal driving mode, it was more or less ok. I could still feel the lurch, but it was much milder. What I was still having trouble with was Sport mode. It didn't have much of a lurch, but the pedal was so trigger happy that it was extremely difficult to keep the car from bucking when taking off from a stop - the car kept itself in 1st gear and then engine braked if you let up even a bit. The best way I can describe the bucking is the car drove like a newbie learning to drive a manual. Very hard to take off smoothly.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the 2022s. My 2019 base car was totaled by Hurricane Ida (which, btw, totally solved the lurching issue) and I just ordered a base 2022. I'm hoping the 2022s have better transmission software to go along with their new PCM 6 software. We shall see. The car is so great to drive, lurching aside, that I'd rather live with the lurching than without the car entirely.
The following users liked this post:
FlyPenFly (08-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2021, 07:28 AM
musammir
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I had this issue on my 2019 base car. It drove me nuts, but it got less noticeable when the car's mileage climbed to the 25k or so mark. In normal driving mode, it was more or less ok. I could still feel the lurch, but it was much milder. What I was still having trouble with was Sport mode. It didn't have much of a lurch, but the pedal was so trigger happy that it was extremely difficult to keep the car from bucking when taking off from a stop - the car kept itself in 1st gear and then engine braked if you let up even a bit. The best way I can describe the bucking is the car drove like a newbie learning to drive a manual. Very hard to take off smoothly.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the 2022s. My 2019 base car was totaled by Hurricane Ida (which, btw, totally solved the lurching issue) and I just ordered a base 2022. I'm hoping the 2022s have better transmission software to go along with their new PCM 6 software. We shall see. The car is so great to drive, lurching aside, that I'd rather live with the lurching than without the car entirely.
dude 100% same issues with my car. i got rid of my x5 which had such an amazing and buttery smooth tranny to this POS. i purchased a 2019 CPO with 22k miles. just hit 23k and i legitimately do not like driving the car because of how aggressive this issue is. it really ruins the experience because i do love everything else about the car. did you ever take it in to porsche to diagnose and try to solve?
Old 09-15-2021, 10:08 AM
BIG8
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR

So sorry about losing your 2019 to the hurricane, LSR. Hope you and loved ones are OK. My 2019 base still has this issue. Had it in for 2-year service this week and mentioned the issue again to the SA and was given the standard Porsche line “it’s normal.” It has to “learn” your driving habits. My response was that in over two years it still hasn’t “learned.” Loaner car was a new Macan which didn’t lurch. Obviously Porsche can design a transmission that works properly for the Macan. So why not the Cayenne?

Quick Reply: Transmission Lurging in Sports Mode Fixed