Sponsored By:

Cayenne_Heated front windshield and toll transponder

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 10:32 PM
midwesterner
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cayenne_Heated front windshield and toll transponder

Hello everyone, I had a question for those that have a Cayenne with a heated front windscreen/windshield option.

I have had trouble with my electronic toll pass (in Illinois). The owner's manual states that the transponder can be placed next to the rear view mirror but that hasn't worked for me.

Anyone have a different experience?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 AM
osroubek
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My base Cayenne has the heated windshield as well. I live in IL. I have no issues with the transponder. There are 2 cutouts on either side of the mirror and I have mine on the passenger side. Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 PM
midwesterner
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by osroubek
Hello. My base Cayenne has the heated windshield as well. I live in IL. I have no issues with the transponder. There are 2 cutouts on either side of the mirror and I have mine on the passenger side. Hope this helps
Thanks for the feedback, I'll give this another try. I gave it a try early on but put the transponder the glass sunroof. I'll move it adjacent to the mirror and see what happens.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Henrics
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I had the same issue with the toll transponder in my Cayenne. Now I use uproad app. It is a much quicker solution compared to traditional transponders and it works perfectly with a heated front windscreen. But you can try to put your transponder on the passenger side.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:21 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't have the heated windshield on the Cayenne, but have had it on other vehicles. Every vehicle with this feature that I've seen has a "cutout" that allows signals to pass through. If you take a flashlight and sine through the windshield, you will be able to see a cutout that is lighter shade than the rest of the windshield.

If you place your device at that point, it won't be blocked. Note that heated windshields will not just block transponders, but also prevent radar detectors from working as well.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:06 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I had the problem with my heated windshield in my 2019 Macan, and I had to get a license-plate-mounted EZPass transponder (free in my state). My transponder did not work through the windshield of my Macan at all, but the license-plate transponder works fine. The silver coating inlaid in the glass of the new heated windshields does mess with transponder signals. That said, I would recommend everybody getting the heated windshield because it is really awesome in terms of quickly melting not just snow/ice but also getting rid of fog/condensation without using air.

Last edited by cometguy; 12-24-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:27 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

I just ordered a MY2022 Cayenne with the heated windshield, and then stumbled on this thread.

Question: is the heated windshield worth the potential aggravation of my EZ-Pass not working? In other words, should I just save my $400+ and defog/defrost my windshield with the defrost blower?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:01 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,566 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I just ordered a MY2022 Cayenne with the heated windshield, and then stumbled on this thread.

Question: is the heated windshield worth the potential aggravation of my EZ-Pass not working? In other words, should I just save my $400+ and defog/defrost my windshield with the defrost blower?
Thermal and noise insulated glass also causes EZ-Pass transponder problems in my Cayenne. One recommendation is to mount the transponder on the rear (non-movable) roof glass. Others, who have front plates installed, use the exterior transponder.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:45 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Thermal and noise insulated glass also causes EZ-Pass transponder problems in my Cayenne. One recommendation is to mount the transponder on the rear (non-movable) roof glass. Others, who have front plates installed, use the exterior transponder.
You don't need to have front plates installed to mount the transponder on the front of your car (the version designed for putting on with your license plate).
I have the transponder on my license plate, no problem (it did not work inside my silver-coated heated windshield, and I found out the hard way), and it's free.
The heated windshield is great: it gets rid of frost, ice, and dew much more quickly than the air-forced defroster and without noise, and I think it's well worth the price and will always option it into my cars (as noted in my previous post, above). The only concern is if your windshield cracks and you need to get a new one: you need to get a Porsche windshield (not a generic one), and that can take a while to get.

Last edited by cometguy; 09-14-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:10 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
You don't need to have front plates installed to mount the transponder on the front of your car (the version designed for putting on with your license plate).
I have the transponder on my license plate, no problem (it did not work inside my silver-coated heated windshield, and I found out the hard way), and it's free.
The heated windshield is great: it gets rid of frost, ice, and dew much more quickly than the air-forced defroster and without noise, and I think it's well worth the price and will always option it into my cars (as noted in my previous post, above). The only concern is if your windshield cracks and you need to get a new one: you need to get a Porsche windshield (not a generic one), and that can take a while to get.
Any photos where you put the transponder?
Old 09-14-2021, 11:18 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Any photos where you put the transponder?
I suppose I could live with a license plate-mounted transponder. That's not the end of the world (though, they're ugly).

Does anyone know, though, whether windshield-mounted radar detectors work with the heated windshield? That, it seems, is a bigger issue.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:46 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,566 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Does anyone know, though, whether windshield-mounted radar detectors work with the heated windshield? That, it seems, is a bigger issue.
If not and you want the heated windshield, you may wish to consider a K40 detector. I have one on my 993 but mostly can’t use it because they’re illegal in Virginia. The system has hidden external detectors that are wired to a discreet control head in the cockpit.

https://k40.com/product/platinum360-...adar-detector/

Old 09-15-2021, 08:52 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I suppose I could live with a license plate-mounted transponder. That's not the end of the world (though, they're ugly).

I am ok with the plate mounted transponder as I have to put front plate in my state. I ended up order the license plate transponder but it’s been 2-3 weeks already and it hasn’t arrived. Kind of suck that I have to roll the windows down and stick my hand out with the transponder every time.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:00 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silververtu
I am ok with the plate mounted transponder as I have to put front plate in my state. I ended up order the license plate transponder but it’s been 2-3 weeks already and it hasn’t arrived. Kind of suck that I have to roll the windows down and stick my hand out with the transponder every time.
I probably could do that with a radar detector, but only when I was driving too slowly to need one. :-)

I need to make up my mind about the heated windshield this week before my allocation is locked. For me, the only issue is the radar detector. If they don’t work through a heated windshield, the heated windshield option is off the table for me.

So - does anyone know in fact, from experience, whether a dash-mounted radar detector works through a heated windshield??
Old 09-16-2021, 09:19 AM
normp
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I probably could do that with a radar detector, but only when I was driving too slowly to need one. :-)

I need to make up my mind about the heated windshield this week before my allocation is locked. For me, the only issue is the radar detector. If they don’t work through a heated windshield, the heated windshield option is off the table for me.

So - does anyone know in fact, from experience, whether a dash-mounted radar detector works through a heated windshield??
To answer your question- a dash mounted radar detector will not work with a heated windshield. Playing around with the cutout up by the rear view mirror is the best option.

Quick Reply: Cayenne_Heated front windshield and toll transponder