Sponsored By:

Sticky second hand on 2019 E Hybrid clock

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:35 PM
cplam1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky second hand on 2019 E Hybrid clock

We have a new 2019 E Hybrid and have had a few problems with it - mostly minor but enough to get us concerned about the car. This is the first Porsche we have owned but I have owned 2 Audis (A3 and now a 2016 A6) so I expected the overall quality to be higher. This is also the first hybrid we have owned so I do know some aspects of driving will differ from all gas models.

Issues: Second hand on clock does not move consistently. It consistently sticks on a spot for more than a second then has a quick movement to "catch up". The dealer replaced the clock but the new one has the same problem. Dealer has told me there may not be anything it can do, which sounds absurd.

Odd acceleration in electric mode - after about 2-3 seconds of pushing the peddle down to accelerate you hit a little wall where to get further acceleration you need to push down very hard. Dealer said this was normal for this model, but it still feels quite odd.

Tachometer: at times the movement is inconsistent but I am not sure how much of this is due to electric vs gas mode. In electric it stays near zero (I think this is expected) but every so often jumps to under one (even though I think we were still in all electric).

Loud fan noises coming from the center console when the rear fans are above 4. The dealer reset the HVAC system and things are better.

We really want to like this car as the performance / looks / etc. are generally great but given the cost I I am disappointed with the issues we have had.

Has anyone else had issues with the clock (and potentially the tachometer) so I can push the dealer to get these resolved? For the acceleration, I think driving another e hyrbid or panamera hybrid would be best to see if the experience is consistent.

Thank you for your help.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 123 Posts

There is a push past point on the accelerator when in electric drive mode that engages the ICE, It is similar to the kick down point on older automatic transmission vehicles. That is a completely normal part of driving the E Hybrid. Not sure about your other issues, sorry.

Last edited by TXSchnee; 01-29-2020 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
poolie (02-12-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 04:52 AM
integrale
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As TXSchnee says above, the pedal feel is by design- it's so you know the limit of pure electric acceleration, above which the ICE fire up. I've never experienced any delay in pedal travel or actual acceleration when crossing this limit.

If the tacho is jumping up from zero that is likely the ICE firing up. At low revs I sometimes only realise that the ICE is running by checking the tacho. At times it's surprised me slightly by showing running at idle, but that's never bothered me as I've had no reason to suspect anything untoward about the behaviour of the power management systems.

I've got the compass in place of the default dashtop clock and no rear climate options, so can't comment on those issues.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (02-12-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cplam1
We have a new 2019 E Hybrid and have had a few problems with it...

Issues: Second hand on clock does not move consistently. It consistently sticks on a spot for more than a second then has a quick movement to "catch up". The dealer replaced the clock but the new one has the same problem. Dealer has told me there may not be anything it can do, which sounds absurd.

Has anyone else had issues with the clock (and potentially the tachometer) so I can push the dealer to get these resolved? For the acceleration, I think driving another e hyrbid or panamera hybrid would be best to see if the experience is consistent.

Thank you for your help.
Our 2019 Cayenne eHybrid clock is showing the same clock symptoms as yours.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 PM
cplam1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Our 2019 Cayenne eHybrid clock is showing the same clock symptoms as yours.
After a new clock and a new instrument cluster our dealer finally figured out the "Sync with GPS" feature on the clock is the culprit - apparently if the GPS signal is weak the second hand stalls. They put a request into Porsche for a software fix but said it was unlikely that would occur. You can turn off the "Sync with GPS" feautre which makes the second hand work smoothly, although you'll need to turn it on for time zone or daylight savings changes.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:34 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

That is kooky... I didn't notice the issue at all before, but now when I look at my clock I can unsee it
Old 08-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cplam1
After a new clock and a new instrument cluster our dealer finally figured out the "Sync with GPS" feature on the clock is the culprit - apparently if the GPS signal is weak the second hand stalls. They put a request into Porsche for a software fix but said it was unlikely that would occur. You can turn off the "Sync with GPS" feautre which makes the second hand work smoothly, although you'll need to turn it on for time zone or daylight savings changes.
Thank you! Not in a million years would have I have figured that out. Interesting glitch.

Quick Reply: Sticky second hand on 2019 E Hybrid clock