Sponsored By:

S.O.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question S.O.S.

I'm having an odd problem with my 2020 Porsche Cayenne S and wondered if anyone has had the issue or has a comment.

The car is three months old. A couple of weeks ago I saw a message appear that stated:

"SOS - Emergency call function error. Service necessary."

This annoyed me because it means a trip to the dealer and the dealer always takes all day to do even the smallest of tasks. And because it did not appear to be anything catastrophic I figured I would put of the "repair" until the car needs something else.
But then last week the message went away, So what do you think? Did it "fix itself?" (Unlikely). Is there a setting or something that I may have accidentally changed? Can I now ignore it?

( A similar thing happened about six weeks ago with the engine light coming on (the yellow engine icon). I figured I needed to bring it in, but on the morning of the appointment I went to fill up the gas tank and after doing so the light went away,)

Any ideas, or similar experiences are appreciated.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:43 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
I'm having an odd problem with my 2020 Porsche Cayenne S and wondered if anyone has had the issue or has a comment.

The car is three months old. A couple of weeks ago I saw a message appear that stated:

"SOS - Emergency call function error. Service necessary."

This annoyed me because it means a trip to the dealer and the dealer always takes all day to do even the smallest of tasks. And because it did not appear to be anything catastrophic I figured I would put of the "repair" until the car needs something else.
But then last week the message went away, So what do you think? Did it "fix itself?" (Unlikely). Is there a setting or something that I may have accidentally changed? Can I now ignore it?

( A similar thing happened about six weeks ago with the engine light coming on (the yellow engine icon). I figured I needed to bring it in, but on the morning of the appointment I went to fill up the gas tank and after doing so the light went away,)

Any ideas, or similar experiences are appreciated.

I too have noticed that some things seems to have been fixed over the air..

But, based on some older vehicles I owned, before I start the vehicle, I turn the engine key to the first position and leave it there until all the initialization lights turn off.

The reasoning is that when you turn the engine on, the voltage may drop below a threshold and certain modules may not initialize correctly. They can produce a cascade of dependent issues and one or more errors..

I know that this is not something you will expect from Porsche, but the randomness of the issues seem to indicate some kind of problem..

I don't have any errors any more, so either the latter is working for me, or Porsche have fixed it over the air, or my Porsche likes colder weather..

Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 PM
JohnP_117
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had this same issue from when I first got my car and just haven't been able to bring it in yet. Dealership told me that it should resolve itself within a week, but it's been going strong for 6 months now.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:41 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't realize that Porsche can update over the Internet.

Good to know.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:01 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Wife's '19 was doing this for the longest time. Recently had the car in for 10k service which included some software updates, which seems to have solved the problem..
Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
I didn't realize that Porsche can update over the Internet. Good to know.
Your Cayenne can NOT update itself over cellular, except for the occasional navigation map update. We don't own Teslas.

For the OP: These kinds of random electronic errors seem to be endemic to newer Porsches that have moved to the updated hi-res PCM / all-glass center console. We've had our Turbo over a year, and there have been dozens of intermittent errors, warnings, etc. that resolve themselves with a restart, generally. At our 10,000 mile service two months ago, our dealer flashed / updated every piece of software PCNA authorized for our VIN. The little niggly false warnings seem to have been reduced. But they're still there. A few weeks ago, for example, we were driving through Dallas / Fort Worth National Cemetery to see my folks and stepfather. As we pulled in, the PCM screen shut off completely. Dead to the world, no pun intended. I thought that was that, and a trip to the dealer was in order. We stopped, paid our respects, got back in, started it up, and the screen came right up. Been up ever since.

Was it the ghosts of fallen U.S. servicemembers and their families come to darken the Porsche? Or inept German electronics engineering? I'm going with the latter.

Owning a modern Porsche seems to mean that you'll get the same or better brilliant dynamics and driving the marque is known for. You'll also get to enjoy amateur-hour electronics and software engineering at the interface level. For us, the drive is worth the annoyance.
The following users liked this post:
icemang (09-08-2021)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 PM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The engine light will come on at some point if the gas cap is not fully closed to the point that it clicks.

it can take a little force to get that click, but it can save an embarrassing trip to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
jjs4653 (05-02-2022)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:40 AM
scb
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sidehill
The engine light will come on at some point if the gas cap is not fully closed to the point that it clicks.

it can take a little force to get that click, but it can save an embarrassing trip to the dealer.
Unfortunately, I've had several of these embarrassing trips to the dealer!. Now, it's the first thing I check if the Check Engine light goes off.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I updated one over the air. Did not see much difference in anything. Just had ours at the dealer for a whole bunch of updates etc. Also can't seem to tell any difference. Could you have been in an area with no cell coverage?
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 PM
danbnjshore
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SOS Call Error Msg

I'm have this error msg. Dealer did a reinstall of the pre-delivery software update. No success. They told me next step is replace the GPS antennae.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:33 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Your Cayenne can NOT update itself over cellular, except for the occasional navigation map update. We don't own Teslas.
Owning a modern Porsche seems to mean that you'll get the same or better brilliant dynamics and driving the marque is known for. You'll also get to enjoy amateur-hour electronics and software engineering at the interface level. For us, the drive is worth the annoyance.
I'm with you on all of that. Maybe Porsche could break out a few bucks hire a programmer and an engineer away from Kia.

Quick Reply: S.O.S.