Sponsored By:

Pirelli Scorpion Verde - nail puncture

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 04:17 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pirelli Scorpion Verde - nail puncture

Expensive ride to Knoxville for coffee this AM. No alert on the dash until I pulled into the bagel shop. Then quick exam showed right rear now sporting a nail or screw in the tread but close to the shoulder so it's probably not repairable, 9200 miles on the tires. The tire was holding about 30 PSI so I drove to dealer and picked up a loaner. Research on the internet seems grim. Tire Rack wants $441 for one of these puppies in that size (305/40R20), No, didn't take the wheel/tire coverage when we bought the car in April. I shopped the Marketplace on this forum and a couple others. Will probably have to pull out a handful of benjamins next week or so to get back on the road - the holidays will probably keep me in the service loaner a while - thank you Harper Porsche. This car seems to attract FOD (foreign object damage) - stone into the windshield a couple months ago and now a wayward screw into a tire.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:09 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

It happens. Glad to hear that you are ok and your dealer is doing a good job to help taking care of the problem.

I’ve had to replace 6 windshields and 3 tires over that last 24 months of time. In March, a nail was found in my 250km newly delivered amg gtr front passenger side tire, that’s the soonest I ever need to repair/replace a tire. This year along my 911 had a flat tire (replaced) and a cracked windshield both happened with in the same month of September. Tire insurance is almost mandatory with all my vehicle purchases now.

hopefully your tire issue is sorted out as soon as possible. I like to wish you and everyone here happy and safe holidays.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:23 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 553 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been lucky to have driven 10s of thousands of miles on a number of cars and only picked up a very long nail years ago that punctured parallel to the tire carcass and didn't go through to the inside.

Florida roads are mostly clean though I did replace the '13 Merc's windshield this month (rock from a truck near Jacksonville FL), better that than the 911's.

Must be tough living in Vancouver.

However, the stuff is out there waiting for us.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:42 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Same thing happened to me at 600 miles. Nail in shoulder- not repairable. Turbo rear Scorpion was $600 on Tire Rack
Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM
KOTB
Banned

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Sorry! I dont know how close to the sidewall you are taking about. If its not right on the sidewall, I would patch it and see what happens! $20 versus $400? Easy decision!
Old 12-23-2019, 11:41 AM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As KOTB said, patch it and see what happens!
I get nails in my tires all the time. I now keep a plug hit in every vehicle I drive. There's absolutely no problem with plugging or patching a tire with 9XXX miles on it. As long as it's not in the sidewall and still in the tread pattern, you are good to go.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:11 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonRite
As KOTB said, patch it and see what happens!
I get nails in my tires all the time. I now keep a plug hit in every vehicle I drive. There's absolutely no problem with plugging or patching a tire with 9XXX miles on it. As long as it's not in the sidewall and still in the tread pattern, you are good to go.
I agree - if the puncture is in the treads and not the sidewall I'd try plugging the tire before replacing it. A Porsche dealer won't plug a performance tire, like a P-Zero on a 911. I believe that's due to liability concerns, given the top speed and handling capability of the car. But I plugged a P-Zero on my Carerra S at my local gas station years ago, and have had no issues. Keep in mind I don't drive the car at autobahn speeds or take it to the track. If I did either, I'd buy new and not take the risk of a plug failure. I also had to plug a front tire (Michelin) of my 2019 Cayenne after only 2000 miles with no issues after having put another 14k miles on the car.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:20 AM
03clyde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the inputs and Merry Christmas. I have a new tire coming in. The puncture was in the outboard sipes of the tread pattern, perhaps an inch at most, from the side wall. I may retain the damaged one and have it plugged in case I find another nail. I wouldn't plug it until it's needed.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:11 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Plugging is the way to go if the sidewall doesn't come into play in the United States, where speed limits are low. Doing so invalidates the speed rating of any performance tire. Unless you're going to play Ayrton Senna for extended periods of time in your Cayenne, driving around with a repaired puncture is a nonissue. I wouldn't think twice about it.

That being said, we hit 120 mph TWICE heading to and coming home from our in-laws today in our Turbo without even trying. We were passing slower cars while avoiding even slower ones, and looked down to see 121 and 127 mph. It's a wonder we still have our licenses.
The following users liked this post:
TempeAndy (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 02:40 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Agree.

Wow.

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Plugging is the way to go if the sidewall doesn't come into play in the United States, where speed limits are low. Doing so invalidates the speed rating of any performance tire. Unless you're going to play Ayrton Senna for extended periods of time in your Cayenne, driving around with a repaired puncture is a nonissue. I wouldn't think twice about it.

That being said, we hit 120 mph TWICE heading to and coming home from our in-laws today in our Turbo without even trying. We were passing slower cars while avoiding even slower ones, and looked down to see 121 and 127 mph. It's a wonder we still have our licenses.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:28 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

I had a scare and was luckily in the tread and I haven't lost air. Sadly the Pirelli tires are the only ones in the market for OEM sizes.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:41 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts

I am on my third set of tires in eight months and a refresh / repair of my rims (22's)
I did get the Wheel and Tire package fortunately .. so only has const me $100 so far ... so far

Quick Reply: Pirelli Scorpion Verde - nail puncture